Opinions on Republic RP-1 Parlor

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Opinions on Republic RP-1 Parlor

Postby Rythameen » Wed May 27, 2009 2:58 pm

Hey everyone, I just bought a single cone steel body duolian from Frank at Republic a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't be happier. Its a 12 fret relic finish with diamond cover plate. Will post some pics and sound clips soon. Anyway, I am interested in the RP-1 parlor guitar, and was wondering if anyone has played one of these? I am looking for opinions on the sound. I have been looking all over for a small bodied guitar with slotted headstock, 1 7/8 nut (I know the RP-1 is 1 13/16, so close enough), and a short scale. Basically a nice guitar for fingerpicking blues. And I guess I'm wondering if the parlor size thins the sound out too much, I know it's not going to have the bass of a dreadnaught, but I wouldn't want it to sound like a toy either, if that makes sense?
Rythameen
Regular

Re: Opinions on Republic RP-1 Parlor

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Wed May 27, 2009 5:41 pm

I have 2 Republic resos and love them immensely for what they are. I've seen the parlor guitar on their web site and also wondered about it. But if you're hankering for a parlor, check out the listings by Roadtoast on ebay. He rehabs vintage parlor guitars, and I've seen a couple larger body guitars in his listings also. I just took delivery of one and it is fantastic. Price was about what the new Republic parlor costs, but the mojo is 10,000 times greater.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby Rythameen » Wed May 27, 2009 9:09 pm

Do you have any links, I can't find Roadtoast on ebay.....................
Rythameen
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Wed May 27, 2009 9:40 pm

I just looked him up on ebay. It's actually "Roadtoastt" — two "T"'s at the end, not one. My bad. Doesn't look like he has any listings now. Check back, though. His stuff usually doesn't last 7 days on auction.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby Rythameen » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:09 pm

Thanks anyway, went ahead and popped for the RP-1, I am so happy with my duolian from Frank, that I figured the RP-1 should be just as impressive. It is supposed to arrive today...........................we'll see how it sounds and plays soon. :D
Rythameen
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:23 pm

Well?
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:51 pm

inquiring minds would like to know!

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:19 pm

We can only surmise that:

A) The thing is so good that he hasn't been able to stop playing it long enough to write about it.

Or:

B) The thing is so bad that he's embarassed to talk about what a mistake he made buying it.

Frank is very good to deal with, however, and if it's option B described above I'm sure he can return it or exchange it.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby Rythameen » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:15 pm

I swear I answered this last night..................oh well. anyway, the RP1 is everything I hoped for. I had a professional setup done on it by a great guy here in vegas, and it is a sweet little guitar. The sound, playability, and feel are all perfect. I would definitely reccomend one to anyone looking for a parlor. The neck is exactly what I was looking for, perfect width for me. It's just a really enjoyable guitar.
Rythameen
Regular

Return to Guitar