Cigar Box Guitars

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Cigar Box Guitars

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Tue May 26, 2009 3:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiqv77ygyio

Anyone have one? I'm real tempted by Fuzzy Whitener's CBG's. He sells them on ebay and has some video demos on youtube. One of them just blew my mind. Check out the link.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Re: Cigar Box Guitars

Postby zhyla » Tue May 26, 2009 4:09 am

My mind is unblown. They look fun to make but why buy one? Regular guitars are more comfortable and playable. I don't get this fad.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Tue May 26, 2009 4:18 am

I think a large part of the appeal is the "less is more" principle. Having only 3 or 4 strings, which you can tune any way you want, lends itself to some interesting stuff. The small body size is pretty cool, too.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue May 26, 2009 4:41 am

Must say I tend to agree with zhyla.
They tend to sound like "sh-t".
If you want less strings get a tenor guitar, baritone uke or just remove half the strings on a six string.
I think people enjoy the challenge of making their own musical instrument and being able to show it off. :roll: :D :oops:
zhyla wrote:My mind is unblown. They look fun to make but why buy one? Regular guitars are more comfortable and playable. I don't get this fad.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Tue May 26, 2009 10:39 am

hey Sheb, Im in the middle of building my first cbg, I just like the principals of using found materials and whatever comes to hand to try and make something that works.

Having said that, there are some guys out there making cracking stuff, if I had the money for shipping etc Id be trying to buy a lowebow. Ive seen guys like Ritchard Johnston and Ben Prestage play really cool stuff on them.

Check out cigarboxnation.org for info and advice on cbg's, there is a lot of good contact and knowledgable folks out there.

I can see why not everyone likes a cigar box guitar, but they speak to me, they have a lot of charm and a lot of imagination goes into some of the designs.

I just wish I could get mine finished, but I am overworked and the laziest, clumsiest woodworker I've ever heard of.

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby Jane fromLondonUK » Tue May 26, 2009 1:12 pm

I've got one (a 3-string fretless) and another one under construction (a 4-string fretted reso). Not under construction by me, I must add -- I can barely put the kettle on, let alone build anything.

Mine are made by Chickenbone John here in the UK. Before I discovered his stuff, I had been eyeing up some of the US sites and wondering about importing one. Maybe not everyone's idea of a good guitar, but I'm with Jakey and Sheb. I think they're great, and can sound really cool. I can't wait for my reso to arrive.
Jane fromLondonUK
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Tue May 26, 2009 2:11 pm

Jakey,
I think I may have you beat in the "laziest, clumsiest woodworker" department. I thought if I could find a CBG that's built well I could study how it was put together and then tackle one on my own. That way I wouldn't waste a lot of time and energy on something that turned out like crap.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Tue May 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Jane,
Post a foto of your reso CBG when you get it!
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue May 26, 2009 2:31 pm

I was just thinking about these the other day. Anyone know what happened to that site 3 string mojo that was posted awhile ago? He had some cool cigarbox stuff.

I can understand the less is more credo. But it does get kind of gimicky when you've got people strapping $100 pickups on them or turning them into six strings with resos etc etc etc... kind of like saying you ride your bicycle to work and then strapping a V8 to it, you know?
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Tue May 26, 2009 4:07 pm

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wPabobs0fU]

Speaking of 6 string resonator CBG's, this vid from Keni Lee features a fantastic sounding example of this.

And his adorable dog has a cameo appearance at the end of the vid.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue May 26, 2009 5:28 pm

Let us get one thing straight before we go any further. None of you is the clumsiest, most useless woodworker in the world. This is my responsibility and I discharge it with great inattention to detail, ignorance of technique and complete disregard for the qualities of the wood being used and the capabilities of the tools in my hands.

"You can sing it out loud, you heard it here first,
When it comes to wood, I am the worst."
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue May 26, 2009 5:46 pm

zhyla wrote:My mind is unblown. They look fun to make but why buy one? Regular guitars are more comfortable and playable. I don't get this fad.

Neither do I. I guess for someone building one it would / could be fun. I'd rather pick up a real reso and play it.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Tue May 26, 2009 8:13 pm

I've built a couple so far. The first is nothing to brag about. It doesn't tune well. If I have to scrap it I'm out about $3. The second was for a friend who was struggling with the death of his Dad. Thought I'd give him something to occupy his time. It has a sweet tone,stays in tune even. I built a matching CBA (cigar box amp) using the Noisy Cricket circuit. I'm in the middle of a Reso with a paint can lid cone. It will be for my Dad on Father's Day. I see these as conversation pieces that can be played not fine instruments.
One of my favorite groups has some songs they do on a CBG that has three guitar and one bass string (like a Lowbow) . Two pickups running into two amps. For a trio of guitar, harp and drums they have a huge sound. They play alot of Mississippi Hill blues. Sound terrific.
I'll see if I can get some picks up.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:04 pm

A paintcan lid reso? Seriously, how does that sound?

I was working on a banjo awhile ago and I got the idea to use a paintcan lid for the head. I basically got told I was crazy and it would never transmit the sound worth a shit, so I ditched the idea. But if it sounds like anything at all maybe I need to make another one. :shock:
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zhyla » Wed May 27, 2009 2:50 pm

jamesfarrell wrote:I guess for someone building one it would / could be fun.

Absolutely, nothing is more fun than building your own instruments, I think that's a great idea. I build tube amps, it's the same deal. I'd build an instrument if I had the means (not a CBG... maybe electric cello).
zhyla
Site Admin

Next

Return to Guitar