Elmore James Kay guitar

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Elmore James Kay guitar

Postby snakehips » Sun May 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi there !

First time on BRB for a number of years. It all seemed to change, then I couldn't log on.
Thought I'd give it a go again !

Searched for YEARS to find myself a Kay acoustic - exactly the same model as Elmore James' - took me searching almost every day for 7 years on Ebay. Got oneat long last - it needed a bit of TLC (neck reset, new bridge+bridge-plate, re-fret) - but it is dynamite now !!! Loaded it with the same pickup Elmore used - a Dearmoned Rhythm Chief Model 1000 - and its got his sound, sustain and crunchy sound when you play hard.

I got stung by the Elmore bug over 20 yrs ago, and I'm sure there must be others as crazy as me ? !!!

Here are some pics :

Since I got the guitar about 2 yrs ago, I have kept searching ebay, to see how often another comes up - and noe ever have so far. Rare !

Got a video of it on YouTube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlrDBiu2 ... annel_page
snakehips
Regular

Re: Elmore James Kay guitar

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon May 18, 2009 1:15 am

Nice axe!

Oh - and welcome back!
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Mon May 18, 2009 2:49 am

You looked every day on ebay for 7 years and only bought this one guitar? Damn admirable restraint, sir!
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby texas blues » Mon May 18, 2009 4:27 am

snakehips wrote:Hi there !

First time on BRB for a number of years. It all seemed to change, then I couldn't log on.
Thought I'd give it a go again !

Searched for YEARS to find myself a Kay acoustic - exactly the same model as Elmore James' - took me searching almost every day for 7 years on Ebay. Got oneat long last - it needed a bit of TLC (neck reset, new bridge+bridge-plate, re-fret) - but it is dynamite now !!! Loaded it with the same pickup Elmore used - a Dearmoned Rhythm Chief Model 1000 - and its got his sound, sustain and crunchy sound when you play hard.

I got stung by the Elmore bug over 20 yrs ago, and I'm sure there must be others as crazy as me ? !!!

Here are some pics :

Since I got the guitar about 2 yrs ago, I have kept searching ebay, to see how often another comes up - and noe ever have so far. Rare !

Got a video of it on YouTube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlrDBiu2 ... annel_page

No. There are no others as crazy as you.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Rythameen » Mon May 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Sheb Whitebred wrote:You looked every day on ebay for 7 years and only bought this one guitar? Damn admirable restraint, sir!

Truer words were never said........... :lol:
Rythameen
Regular

Postby snakehips » Mon May 18, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi there !

No, I didn't say I didn't buy any guitars, looking on eBay for 7 years !
Definitely not ! Bought and sold many in that time frame !

Bought 2 Harmony electric archtops, 5 Kay acoustics, 8 Nationals (2 non-reso archtops), about 7 or 8 Dearmond pickups.
Sold a Gibson Les Paul TV Special Reissue (for more than I bought it new 10rs earlier !), a Fender Foto Flame finish Jap Tele, the 2 Harmony archtops. Other guitars (some of above) sold to people I know on the internet (not via ebay).
Probably missing out loads of guitars there !!!

What I DID say (and mean) was that that particular dreadnought Elmore Kay acoustic has only ever appeared once in all my daily searches in 7 years (plus 2 years since). So it has got to be super rare. Never seen pics of anyone else with this guitar or any for sale in guitar shop websites either.
snakehips
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Mon May 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Great Elmore tribute--guitar is cool but your playing on that clip was sweet
goldbrick
Regular

Postby snakehips » Mon May 18, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi there !

Many thanks for that. Once I figured out the actual shuffle rhythm that Elmore uses (like, it took me 15 years - ha ha ha !!!!), it all started to fit together.

For years, playing the "standard" shuffle pattern, (bum-bum,dum-dum,bum-bum,dum-dum) I always knew it didn't sound right or fit, playing Elmore stuff.
Elmore gets a different feel for his shuffle pattern, there is a jump or an off-beat in it (not sure how to describe it).

Any how, think of the "standard" shuffle rhythm in open E (well, OK, I play it in open D).
When you go up to the 5th chord (B) and add on+off the note with your pinky, on the 5th string (2 frets up from the bar) - the last note you need to play BEFORE changing chord is the note WITH your pinky stretched 2 frets up - yeah ?
You want that note to ring out and sustain until the next beat, when your hand (index-finger bar) should ALREADY be 2 frets down, at the 5th fret. That is exactly where I had a problem. I can't have my pinky on the 9th fret (5th string) while my hand should be going down the neck, ready to play the A chord bar shuffle.

Enter Mr Elmore James ! At the end of the pattern in B, instead of playing the last "dum-dum" with your pinky, just play the first "dum" then briefly play (in quarter-notes, if that is what it is called) the 1st string, open, then 6th string, open, and then launch into the A chord shuffle.
Your hand (index finger bar) has time to jump down 2 frets from the 7th fret to 5th fret WHILE these two open strings ring out. Further more, the open strings played as quarter notes (or eigth notes, or whatever they are called !) give that characteristic Elmore jump in the rhythm.

You gotta try it with a guitar in your hands to get what I am saying.
Do the same at the end of the A chord shuffle pattern (with the open 1st string, then open 6th string) just before you get back to E.

Or try it in the key of D, as I do - so the 3 chords are D (root), G (4th chord) and A (5th chord)

I hope that made sense !
snakehips
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue May 19, 2009 12:57 am

You are a devout Elmore James fan. :lol: The tone on that guitar is gnarly. I dig it. :twisted:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue May 19, 2009 3:16 am

Sounds great!
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Tue May 19, 2009 9:41 pm

Ah, snakehips. I knew it couldn't be possible that you spent that amount of time on ebay and bought only this one object of your desire. Ebay is a dangerous place, full of endless temptations.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Thu May 21, 2009 2:24 pm

Hey Richard!
Super cool guitar you've got!!
Good to see you here as well, bro! :mrgreen:
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby zhyla » Thu May 21, 2009 8:08 pm

I don't know if I've ever heard any Elmore James but you nailed that song. Guitar has a good sound to it for sure but 7 years is a long time to look for a particular guitar. Impressive!
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby DeFord Harp Slider » Fri May 22, 2009 5:30 pm

I went to YouTube to check out your guitar and sound..... My wife heard your playing and singing and didn't believe me when I told her that it wasn't Elmore James that she was hearing.
DeFord Harp Slider
Regular

Postby snakehips » Fri May 22, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi there !

Cool, thanks ! That is a great compliment (especially if you are suggesting she knows her blues music).

The only thing that bugs me about the video is that the vocal is not recorded well. It is swamped in the reverby echo of my garage. Nevermind !

That reminds me ! My other Kay acoustic (1950's model) withe Dearmond Rhythm Chief pickup AND the Dearmond soundhole pickup is for sale. There is a video demo of that on YouTube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_gCjZ5Z ... annel_page
snakehips
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar