Anyone play a Peavey??

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Anyone play a Peavey??

Postby blueswrench » Fri May 01, 2009 2:56 am

I just picked up a Peavey T-60 guitar at my local pawn shop and am really liking this thing. First off, it's a '79 in mint condition, in original hardshell case, with factory paperwork, for $200. This thing has dual humbuckers, but with the tone control knobs, you can split 'em into single coils, one at a time, or both pick-ups. Also, with the selector switch in middle for both pick-ups, it has a switch to put the pick-ups out of phase, giving more tone choices. I've been having a blast just experimenting with all the different tones this thing will produce and is actually putting the fun back in practicing. I've been in a real practice slump lately but now I'm havin' a ball. Soon as I get my camera back, I'll try to post some pics. This thing has an ash body in natural finish and a maple neck and is built like a tank.
Just curious if anyone had ever played one of these before.
blueswrench
Regular

Re: Anyone play a Peavey??

Postby JLHooker » Fri May 01, 2009 12:41 pm

I had a Peavey back in the 80's.It was a good guitar and I don't remember why I got rid of it.
I am fairly close to Meridain Ms where they are made and there are a lot of them around this area.
JLHooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Fri May 01, 2009 1:53 pm

I had a great late 70s peavey bass with a maple neck and massive body that I loved, got stolen by a tweaker in LA :| I've still got my ESP custom bass and it's nice, but I miss that peavey, she was my first.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Fri May 01, 2009 3:04 pm

I like Peavey stuff. I have a T60 and a Classic 30 amp
goldbrick
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat May 02, 2009 12:13 am

When I first started jamming with people, the other guitar player had an old Peavey Strat type guitar strung left handed (it was a right handed guitar). His drummer sometimes played with it because he was a lefty, but anyways, I used to use it all the time while jamming with him. I thought it was a really good guitar. I have a Classic 50 that I love.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby texxx » Thu May 14, 2009 12:32 am

the delta blues amp kicks ass great tone great for slide! old bandants have cool tone, i do not like the classic amps and the new chi tubes are lame
texxx
Regular

Postby thunda1216 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:14 am

:D I've had a T-60 since they first came out. I think it was Peavey's first attempt to compete with the Les Paul. The best features I think are the really skinny neck (incredibly fast!) and the factory brass nut. The phase switch quickly gets less use, but the single/humbucking tone controls are killer. I think that my fav setup is with the neck pup set to humbucking and the bridge set to single coil.

ty
thunda1216
Regular

Postby bmarti2001 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:07 pm

I got a T60, probably my favorite guitar. It's just awesome, Made in Mississippi of Swamp Ash. The neck is 2 different pieces spliced together, it keeps it thin and rigid. And the electronics are fantastic, goes from single coil to full humbucker with the twist of the tone knob. Probably one of the most underrated guitars ever made.

Checkout www.T60mafia.com. It's the T60 fan club, if you have any questions they know it over there. The original designer Chip Todd posts and gives insights to how they were built and different designs. They also have all the manuals and diagrams if your interested.
bmarti2001
Regular

Postby profgalen » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:34 pm

You got a pretty good deal. I payed $330 for my "79" t-60 w/OHSC in good (not mint) condition. Johnny Copeland always played one. Definitely a fine but underrated guitar. I also have a Peavey DUCE amp that I would never part with.
profgalen
Regular

Return to Guitar