Cheaper resonator brands?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Cheaper resonator brands?

Postby brain21 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:04 am

Can you guys comment on the following brands? Anything to look out for when purchasing these? Generally good or bad? Certain models good, some bad?

Regal
Johnson
Michael Kelly
Dean
Oscar Schmidt
Morgan Monroe
Recording King

I was going to get a Republic Miniolian, but they are now discontinued until the M-2 comes out in Sept.-Oct. I can't wait that long, so now I am looking at the full-sized resos for close to the same price ($500 and under, USED or new). THese look like they'd be decent enough brands, but I don't know how the resos stack up.

Also I assume that brass is preferred over Steel, and Steel is prefered over chrome, over wood, etc.

Thanks,

Brain21
brain21
Regular

Re: Cheaper resonator brands?

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Also I assume that brass is preferred over Steel, and Steel is prefered over chrome, over wood, etc.

As far as wood, brass or steel, there is no quality preference in that. The question is which kind of sound are you seeking as the materials sound different. Steel, is probably the edgiest, with wood sort of the mellowist. Also, you didn't mention the cone types but the different cone arrangements affect the sound also, spider, biscuit or tricone.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby zhyla » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:22 pm

The Dean was terrible. Don't forget Rogue, they're equivalent to Johnson (but cheaper).

There's a lot of choices in materials as Neon says. You may have to just pick one if you're not near a shop with a lot of resos. Hard to go wrong with brass.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby wanderingyankee » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:55 pm

Those are all pretty crappy. If you want a solid reso under $500 try Harlem Slim at http://www.delatbluesguitar.com.

He lists on Ebay all the time. I have several and they compete volume, tone and playability with NRP.

Cheers
wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby Jane fromLondonUK » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:38 pm

I was going to get a Republic Miniolian, but they are now discontinued until the M-2 comes out in Sept.-Oct. I can't wait that long, so now I am looking at the full-sized resos for close to the same price ($500 and under, USED or new). THese look like they'd be decent enough brands, but I don't know how the resos stack up.

I'm not an expert on these things, but I recently got a Busker reso, very like a Republic, whcih is a wonderful guitar. The exchange rate is in your favour at the moment (assuming you're in the US, since you mentioned $$s) if you can bear to wait for it to arrive, and Robin at Busker (http://www.buskerguitars.co.uk/) is great to deal with. He can also supply Michael Messer resos, which have an excellent reputation. The Busker Guitar website also has some sound samples, which might help you hear the difference between various types of reso.

As for brass, stele or wood, I agree with what has already been said - it depends on what tone turns you on. Steel is 'edgier' than brass, and wood more mellow (I think, others might disagree) than brass or steel.

You could also ask for advice at the Michael Messer forum (just Google it). The people there are big time Busker and/or MM guitar fans, but they seriously know their stuff.
Jane fromLondonUK
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:08 am

I have a Jay Turser.....pretty friggin' el cheapo.
tinsmith
Regular

Postby brain21 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:16 am

From what I can tell, I prefer Brass over the others. Steel is too biting, wood is too mellow.

I prefer the sound of a tricone, but I don't like the fact that tricones join the body at the 12th fret, and cutaway brass tricones are in the several thousand dollar range. Well beyond what I want to spend.

So as far as deltabluesguitar.com's guitars, they are all steel. I have his DVDs somewhere, so I'll listen to the sound of the guitar on those videos and see what I think.

The Buskers, after you add shipping from the UK and taxes, are way out of my price range.

Either way, it seems that a brass body biscuit is what I need to get.

So... still looking.

Thanks,

Brain21
brain21
Regular

Postby birddog » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Style O ???
You might be interested in something like this http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/AXL.htm
birddog
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:45 pm

If it's a minolian you want I'd just watch ebay for one, they'll pop up.

Doesn't James Farrel have one? You might drop him a line, he might be bored with it by now. He's essentially a reso reseller anyways :).
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby harpdude » Fri May 01, 2009 4:12 am

There's some video clips of different reso's and other guitboxes here:

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page319.htm

Hope this helps ya decide what type might suit your style of playing.

P.S - I don't think Johnson is still in production. They've changed their name to Recording King I think. Same guitar, just new name.
harpdude
Regular

Postby brain21 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:27 am

I ended up w/ a Regal RD-45 (on its way to me). I had pretty much discounted them and wasn't looking at them, but it comes w/ a pickup and it was $100. Now when I take it on the road to Memphis & Clarksdale this summer I won't cry if it gets damaged. I might get a Beard cone for it, though I hear the the hole still needs to be routed out a bit to fit the Beard cone, even though its supposed to be the right size.

Anyone gotten the Beard DVD in reso setup? Is it worth it?

brain21
brain21
Regular

Return to Guitar