precision bass or jazz bass, which one to buy???

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Re: precision bass or jazz bass, which one to buy???

Postby multisounds » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi Big and lp,

By the sound of things you guys must be wrapped with the P bass :D I can understand why- it does rock hard a kick azzzz! Well, it's only 2 weeks away till I choose which one and I'll have to play both again and feel the vibe which is best for me. Can't make up my mind now but I do go for colour of my fancy when I buy guitars.

cheers
Multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:46 pm

I put a heavy capacitor in my P-Bass as well. A .100, it was the biggest that Stew-Mac sold. That mod with a blade pickup smoothed the tone of my bass way down. It goes deep, at least it sounds like it because with the tone knob off a lot of the treble disappears, nothing but low. I first did it with a Squire P-bass I still use for practice and backup. I love the sound of them two basses now. No dead spots, nice rich, smooth notes. Can't slap with it but it does fill up the bottom end. I think P's come with .047 or .050 in them. The capacitor I put in was almost as big around as a quarter, works for me.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:32 pm

My fretless came with a .05 (I looked it up).

I was going to order the new cap from stewmac, but I discovered that Radio Shack had 'em, and no $30 minimum order! So I got one locally. It's much smaller than what you're describing -- maybe 4X the size of the very small original.

Bigdaddy, what pickup are you using?

Multisounds, get a bass and enjoy playing it. If you're like me, it can take a while to develop your ears to where you really know what you want, but it's hard to go wrong with a Fender bass.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:15 pm

It's the blade Stew-Mac offers for the P-Bass. I bought one and a pack of caps to do the Squire with and then bought another pickup for MIM after I liked how the Squire sounded. I like the idea of the blade simply for the magnetic field it create over the stings the pickup covers. Both basses sound real close although the Squire is a bit more flimsy and tends to vibrate more. I trust the MIM over the Squire so I use the MIM for gigs. The way I set it up works for me. It is low and tends to elimante the treble. Some may not like it but I have always had bassists and other musicians approach me at gigs asking about my guitar, they can hear some thing different about it. On top of all that I play in a full step drop also because I like the looser tension on the strings. Recording with my bass like this sounds a lot like a stand up at least that's what the recording engineer said. It's my own creation and I like the sound. At gigs I can fill the bottom end up, rumble the place.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:33 pm

I put of set of Select bass humbuckers in a cheap Jazz copy I had some time ago. I'd be interested in hearing the blade models.

For now, I'll stick with what works on mine: Basslines Quarter Pound, Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, .1 cap...
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:42 pm

One of the manufacturers makes a dual humbucker for the P-bass. Each half of the pick up is a dual blade humbucker. Reviews were good. I questioned if the pick up would be to hot for my playing style. I am curious about them tho. Everyone has to dig what they have. After I got the MIM I gigged with it with the standard pole pick ups it came with and I would find myself grabbing the red Squire. The black MIM's tone was to thin. Didn't fill up any thing to me so I converted it also. Now the baby pumps out them low smooth tones. It turns me on just playing them guitars now. I like the bottom end, it's what gets feets tapping and butts up out of their chairs. I dig the way heads bob to the sound of my bass, oh yeah, I'm off the deep end.
Them Selects you put in the cheap Jazz, was they blades? I see them in the catalog but I think they're a single blade, I bet they would rumble some. I'm just not a Jazz tone fan. I had an active dual humbucker job a few months back but I turned it in and got my wifes money back. I played it at two gigs and it was okay, to high in the treble and not smooth enough or low enough for me so I got the black P out both times. The wife learned a lesson about buying me "tools" for my passion. She leaves it up to me now to buy my own. She did notice the difference between the black P-bass and the active she bought me, she likes the black bass better. Fills the room up with out banging peoples heads.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:50 pm

No, they weren't blades. As far as I could tell, they were conventional two-coil humbuckers, the same size as Gibson guitar pickups. That bass is long gone, replaced by the Precisions.

Somewhere I saw a bass that had painted on it "this machine shakes butts." That's pretty much my attitude about it, too.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Previous

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom