Future Forum Software Dev/Discussion

A place for the owners and managers of Big Road Blues to make general announcements to the members.

Re: Future Forum Software Dev/Discussion

Postby rustyslide » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:22 am

DaveG earns 10 points with the correct answer!
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby BluezOldy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:55 am

dcblues wrote:I tried to respond to the other discussion about this and got a "forum locked" message. I would like to be part of the new forum, with this username.

Same here.
BluezOldy
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:14 am

I tried to respond to the other discussion about this and got a "forum locked" message.

I had that problem. I don't know why, but I logged out and logged back in, and then I was able to post.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:21 pm

Count me in same name, bla bla bla. I'll have my email visable as I do now. I don't let these assholes scare me. My job has got 10x more painful because of these fu**ks. We have to store passwords in a F'N password safe which you need a password to get into, and then provide a reason and a ticket number just to get a password. So it takes 10 minutes to do 2 minutes of work.

Why? All because of scammers who would rather screw people over than get up and go to work like the rest of us. If it were up to me. I'd catch them, broadcast them on satellite tv to the world, pour gas on them and set them ablaze. Thanks Rusty, Zhyla for the good work. I know personally how difficult this BS is.

Kevin
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby bacchant » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:08 pm

The thread to post in to be moved is locked? yall not gonna leave me behind r ya? :blink:
bacchant
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:27 pm

... don't click through from 'the cheap seats'.

--

Alright. Idea dumping time:

- Mods will be able to disemvowel posts with a click. This will remove BBCode markup (ie, links) as well.

- There'll be no 'read latest' or 'mark posts read' or whatever - your handy dandy browser already tracks what links you've clicked on, so I'll exploit that by adding the last-updated time to the thread link. Already visited threads will be a different colour. Pink or something.

- To improve load times, posts will be converted from BBCode to HTML at posting/editing time, and that content stored in a table.

- There will be four forum sections: Making Blues (with instrument specific subforums - guitar/bass/harp/drumps/piano/vocal/other (fiddle, kazoo, bassoon, etc)), Talking Blues, and Causing The Blues (the artist formerly known as Way Off Topic), and Announcements (perhaps "Pronouncements From On-High". I'm tempted.).
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby zhyla » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm

rustyslide wrote:- There'll be no 'read latest' or 'mark posts read' or whatever - your handy dandy browser already tracks what links you've clicked on, so I'll exploit that by adding the last-updated time to the thread link. Already visited threads will be a different colour. Pink or something.

I often use the "View unanswered" thing to do a quick check for spam posts. I use the "View active" also, but mainly because there's so many dang sections to poke thru. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying here though. One thing to think about is the browser may keep track of things you've read, but if you've got multiple computers that knowledge doesn't follow the user around.

rustyslide"
- To improve load times, posts will be converted from BBCode to HTML at posting/editing time, and that content stored in a table.
[/quote]

How does that work for editing posts? Convert from HTML back to BBCode?

[quote="rustyslide wrote:
- There will be four forum sections: Making Blues (with instrument specific subforums - guitar/bass/harp/drumps/piano/vocal/other (fiddle, kazoo, bassoon, etc)), Talking Blues, and Causing The Blues (the artist formerly known as Way Off Topic), and Announcements (perhaps "Pronouncements From On-High". I'm tempted.).

Yes, yes, yes. Forums with more sections than posts are annoying.

Streamlining the ban process would be a nice-to-have. Right now to ban a spammer I've got to go to the ACP, do a 2nd login, look up the user, select from a number of ban options, and then confirm what I want to do. Confirmation is of course a good thing, but a simple ban button on the user's post or profile would be handy. Some kind of nice interface for mods to "recommend for ban" would be nice too - the PM thing is clunky (and if I remember correctly you won't be having a PM system).
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:00 pm

I think I like that disemvoweling idea.

I'll miss the "marked read" feature, because I use multiple computers.
ricochet
Regular

Postby BluezOldy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 pm

rustyslide wrote:.

- There'll be no 'read latest' or 'mark posts read' or whatever...

I don't know - the 'view new posts [since last visit]' feature regardless of the forum brand - phpBB, SMF or whatever - is the most useful function ever added.
BluezOldy
Regular

Postby DaveG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:10 pm

BluezOldy wrote:
rustyslide wrote:.

- There'll be no 'read latest' or 'mark posts read' or whatever...

I don't know - the 'view new posts [since last visit]' feature regardless of the forum brand - phpBB, SMF or whatever - is the most useful function ever added.

I have to agree with this.
DaveG
Regular

Postby Kuvash » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:27 pm

So Kay Les Went(move me)

Kuvash
Kuvash
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Okay...so now what?
texas blues
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:08 am

yes....we've been waiting instruction.....
tinsmith
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:17 am

What if the "Big Road Rapture" has already occurred, and we're left behind?
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:56 pm

I've been busy. Have most problems 'solved', in the sense that I've thought of a solution, but actual lines of code written remains at 0.

Every new account I activate causes me to regret this lack of progress. I cannot wait for an automated process that talks to stopforumspam.com, user-moderated first posts, etc.
rustyslide
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements