Blues & Photoss

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Blues & Photoss

Postby wirewalker » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi I am a guitarist and photographer who has written illustrated articles for numerous glossy mags and now balance my working world as a senior civil servant with the enjoyable world of guitar: country-blues, acoustic blues, electric blues, slide guitar, always chasing that elusive tone. I am right handed with a broken left-wrist so my greates frustration is that I cannot find a way to develop a convincing finger-vibrato, so any ideas will be welcomed. The real prob is that the hospital in Spain fudged the operation after a car-crash and I was told by a consultant once back in the uk I would never regain more than 5 to 10% rotation. The whole process took a long time and it was only the purchase of a new guitar (s Strat) that motivated me to drive myself through the pain. I have proved the xperts wrong and probably have about 80% rotation now, 20 years after the accident, but the missing ingredient is loss of finger strength: I can bend strings but not accurately add vibrato once bent. Finally, I cannnot find the way to move the strings abck and forth fast enough.

However, I play guitar evry evening for my own pleasure and I cannot imagine my life without my music.
wirewalker
Regular

Re: Blues & Photoss

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:51 pm

I know several guys who've become principally slide players because of hand problems. You may want to look into that, also lap style sliding. Welcome to BRB!
ricochet
Regular

Postby wirewalker » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks for that. I have just bought a National Syle O and a couple of Tutorial DVDs. I'll let you know how I get along. I am also waiting for a couple of slides made locally in the town of Stourbridge UK, which has a history of glass blowing, One is a new product in cobalt blue, the second is an interesting model which Diamond-Slides call the ultimate. This is two thirds glass and one third steel so in theory one has the best of both worlds.

I have also bought a Custom National Resolectric which I am quite excited about, but delivery is likely to be 10 to 14 days via USPS: fingers crossed for a safe journey.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and look forward to talking with you in the neae future.

ps the DVDs are by an American slide-guitarist by the name of Bob? Dowling if I remember correctly.

Regards
wirewalker
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:26 pm

I have two Diamond Ultimates of different styles, neither containing metal. They are absolutely wonderful slides! I've often said that Diamonds are "the Rolls-Royce of guitar slides."
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:51 am

Which side of Stafford are you? I'm 4 miles from M6 J4. Lichfield's halfway between us, and Lummo calls in on his in laws not far from Stafford on the rare occasions he flaps his wings across the Atlantic. I think Bournio's not far away from you during the academic terms too.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby goldbrick » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:32 pm

Django did ok--good luck
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:02 am

maxx england wrote:I think Bournio's not far away from you during the academic terms too.

Aye, I'm here till April... Play a lot in The Grapes on Wednesday, it's nice to find my feet at an open mic...

After that back in sunny sunny Preston till September!
Bournio
Regular

Return to A Bit About You