Newcomer looking for a good blues tutor-book.

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Newcomer looking for a good blues tutor-book.

Postby drewfasa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:50 am

Hi everyone,

I've recently decided to get serious about guitar and am trying to learn to play the blues. Since I only have an acoustic guitar, that means playing acoustic blues. I would be most grateful if someone could recommend a good book that will get me up and jamming as fast a possible. I think I am past the beginner stage at this point in terms of chord knowledge etc. and I really just want to play. I got Grossman's Delta Blues book, but I just can't sus the rhythms out from those old recordings.

What I'm really looking for is a Jon Gindick figure (the great harmonica instructor) for guitar, someone who will get me jamming ASAP and having fun.

All help is appreciated greatly!

-Drew
drewfasa
Regular

Re: Newcomer looking for a good blues tutor-book.

Postby OldWailer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:22 am

I have been really liking the instruction offered on You Tube by an English guy named deltabluestips. Just go do a search and check a few out--some are very basic--but some are really cool--I am learning things from him that I never thought of and I've been playing for about 40 years. He has about 130 lessons up, I think.

The day of the "good blues tutor-book" is gone. If you want good instruction nowadays, go for the DVD/Tablature methods. You can get them from
homespuntapes.com . Happy Traum is the president of the company--they go out and get world class players to give the lessons. So, if you like, say, Keb' Mo' music--go buy a lesson that is taught by Keb' Mo'! Happy Traum started me out on guitar with his books on Oak Publications back in the good old days. I always preferred his books to Grossman's--but just a personal preference I guess. Happy learned directly from people like Mississippi John Hurt and Brownie McGee, so he has some good instructional material on those styles.

You can watch little previews on the homespun site of the lessons--so you get a chance to check them out a little before you buy. I'm not affiliated at all with them--just a happy customer--I've bought several of these DVD's and I like them a lot.

If you want to learn slide blues--check out KeniLeeBurgess on You Tube--he has a whole set of lessons on slide in open tunings.

Good luck with your search. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby dcblues » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 pm

I can't recommend a tutor, but I think I can tell you where to find a Blackberry Storm 9500 for $500.00USD. :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:10 pm

I sure wouldn't buy one from that SOB mobiles that spammed the board this morning!

Good thing for these spammers that I don't, as Robert Johnson sang, have possession over Judgment Day.
ricochet
Regular

Postby drewfasa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:23 pm

No really, it's a great deal! You just deposit 500$ into his bank account in Nigeria, and then he sends you all sorts of wonderful things..... :roll:
drewfasa
Regular

Postby drewfasa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Problem solved! Bought 'Blues you can use' today by John Ganapes and I'm already up and jamming like I wanted to be!
drewfasa
Regular

Postby sgt-will » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:49 am

So were can I get a copy of this rosetta stone of blues music? Is it a book or computer software? Thanks
sgt-will
Regular

Postby drewfasa » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:06 am

It's a book w/ CD. Although there may be a DVD as well. I've bought quite a few guitar tutorial books but the combination of John Ganapes' 'Blues You Can Use' with Fred Sokolow's 'Fretboard Roadmaps' seems to be the magic combination. Both books are organized into a series of lessons. My learning curve has been quite steep since I began Sokolow's book, and Blues You can Use is good because it gets you up and jamming in the first lesson, which teaches you an open minor pentatonic scale and some blues seventh chords and has you mix them in a bluesy fashion. I highly recommend both books...
drewfasa
Regular

Postby mukluk » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:28 am

The Fretboard Roadmap books are great learning tools for sure. This book tho, is the one that has brought my play level up quickly, http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Rhythm-G ... 138&sr=1-2

It's the most complete instructional book I've found , and would definitely be be my choice for the "if you could only use ONE course" scenario.

I've also loaded all my course CD's onto my Ipod. They travel with me everywhere now, can listen to them thru speakers or headphones, and found that being able to FFW and REW thru the tracks very useful for getting down certain parts.
mukluk
Regular

Postby thegubster » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:20 pm

Drew,

Look into this fellow. He has a wonderful site to get newbys like myself up and running....

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Jeremy.
thegubster
Regular

Return to Guitar