Snooks Eaglin RIP

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Snooks Eaglin RIP

Postby beard-of-grey » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:53 am

Its been reported that Snooks has succumb to prostate cancer , another Nawlins master gone.
beard-of-grey
Regular

Re: Snooks Eaglin RIP

Postby bluzlvr » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:48 pm

It's positively eerie and mind blowing how many musicians we're losing lately.
bluzlvr
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:55 pm

Oh man, I love him. I got "New Orleans Street Singer" awhile ago and it hasn't left my car yet.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby vineland » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:15 am

RIP Snooks. I love his voice. I have a great version of Snooks doing "St James Infirmary". Are there many orignal blues still left?
vineland
Regular

Postby beard-of-grey » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:16 am

vineland wrote:RIP Snooks. I love his voice. I have a great version of Snooks doing "St James Infirmary". Are there many orignal blues still left?

Here's a version for everyone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23VSDneTo60
beard-of-grey
Regular

Postby The Saint » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Everytime I read one of these, I remind myself not to miss the next chance to see any of the "legends" in person.
The Saint
Regular

Postby beard-of-grey » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:02 pm

The Saint wrote:Everytime I read one of these, I remind myself not to miss the next chance to see any of the "legends" in person.

It's with regret here's another GREAT to pass
He was in Australia last year, but only played one show which was in Melbourne
R.I.P.

New Orleans piano legend Eddie Bo has passed away at age 78. Spokesperson Karen Hamilton confirmed that the musician died late Wednesday night of a massive heart attack. No funeral arrangements are available to the press at this time.

Bo, whose real name was Edwin Bocage, was a fantastically versatile pianist whose skills created the bridge between New Orleans R&B and funk. He was less known for his contributions as a producer. Signed to Joe Ruffino’s Ric label in 1959, Eddie Bo scouted, arranged, produced and wrote for artists there including Irma Thomas, Tommy Ridgely, Robert Parker and Johnny Adams. A jack of all trades, Bo even built a small studio for Ruffino behind his office. In the early ‘60s, Bo recorded for several labels, including Scram, Rip, and the visionary AFO records (the AFO Combo backed him on his local dance hit “Check Mr. Popeye,”) sometimes using the alias ‘Roy Ward’ or recording with Chris Kenner, ‘Candy Phillips’. He eventually signed to Joe Banashak’s family of labels in 1966, where he produced artists including Art Neville and Oliver Morgan.
http://blogofneworleans.com/blog/2009/0 ... bo-passes/
beard-of-grey
Regular

Postby Slim » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Saw Eddie Bo last year at jazzfest. Man he looked like he would live forever! And I saw Snooks awhile back too. New Orleans is losing the great daily. Look for Fats D to be leaving anytime. I am just fortunate to have gotten to see alot of the greats before they passed.
Slim
Regular

Return to Talking Blues