To learn more you must jam!

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Re: To learn more you must jam!

Postby CashWiley » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:45 pm

Yeah, playing with others who have different background is great. When I was in my metal band in the 80s, we all had very diverse backgrounds, there was only one guy who only listened to metal (the 2nd drummer). When everyone is influenced by the same stuff is where it starts getting a bit derivative.

But sometimes that can make a good connection at an improv jam. The best local cat here is very influenced by 50s rock-n-roll, and I got involved with a stage production of Grease that had a live band (again, in the 80s). My first solo ever was lifted directly from Johnny B Goode, and there was a ton of rhythm work I learned then that really clicks when I play with that one guy, but doesn't really come out too much otherwise.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:13 pm

texas blues wrote:That's great Lefty. Personally I don't like jamming with other guitar players. It invariably turns into a "big dick" show. Drum machine and a looper serve me well when I get the itch.....and they don't have egos to get in the way.

Cheers, TB.

I've never had this problem. The guys I jam with every Wednesday just love to play. Both of the other guitar players are better than I am, but we still have fun. We always just switch up the soloing when we're jamming out and no one ever has any ego problems.

I've been coming down with some sinus headaches for the last couple days and yesterday was the weekly jam day. We all haven't jammed for a couple weeks due to crazy schedules and I was gonna cancel yesterday due to my headache but I decided to jam anyway. Swung through Ace Hardware, got myself some ear plugs and went and jammed for a little over two hours. My head was pounding by the end of the jam session but it was by far the best jam session I've ever played. My MIM Strat with Texas Specials straight in to the Peavey Classic 50 with no chaser (as TB would say 8) ) gave me godly tone. Tony, the other guitar player, brought his Tele and played it through his Marshall Vintage Modern. My god, that guitar and amp combo have some tone. I'd like to get me a Tele but that means I'll have to sell one of my guitars.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:41 pm

I always want to be playing with guys who are better than me. Best motivating force in the world. I'm wicked hard on myself and don't think I'm a very good player because I expect myself to be in the league of the people I want to play with, and most of these guys have been playing blues professionally for 20-30 years!

I'm still trying to dial in my tone, I have an ok sound, but to get a good amp tone I have to turn it louder than the sound guy likes (SG 61 reiss into 65 fender deluxe verb reiss), so I've been using the Fulldrive 2 for a little edge on the clean tone and for sustain on leads. But I really just like of the amp naked and loud. Envy you finding your tone, Lefty!
CashWiley
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:24 pm

That good tone I get comes at a loud volume though, which is the downfall. I have to turn the amp way up to get that great tube tone that we all know and love.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby blueswrench » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:23 am

My weekly jam has improved my playing a great deal but lately its been getting out of hand being way too loud. We jam on Thursdays in a local ice cream/coffee shop thats open for business and we have to constantly keep after some of the players to keep from running some of the customers off from being too loud. One guy thats been showing up recently is a great player and super guy but the only thing he does is that Jerry Reed kinda "chickin' pickin'" lightning fast out of a Tele and Twin Reverb cranked. Its ok when the song calls for it, but it doesn't quite fit with Stormy Monday or The Thrill Is Gone. So what we did was start a jam on Tuesdays but only acoustic and its been working out great. Acoustic nite really cuts down on the "MY amp is louder than your amp" kinda crap.
blueswrench
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:25 am

Watch out for the resonators :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Hublocker » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:36 pm

I agree about open stage, open mike "jams."

Usually you sit around for hours waiting for your name to come up, then get to play three songs.

When I get together in the basement with my friends, we all get to play for three hours.
Hublocker
Regular

Postby Jbyrd 88 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:14 pm

Cash Wiley.........you are soooo right about jamming with folks who are better than you are........especially the ones that have that natural ability to cause everyone to sound better than they normally do.....or should I say "play" better than they normally do. I think you know what I mean.

jbyrd88
Jbyrd 88
Regular

Postby Slim » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:25 pm

The Open Mic night at one of my favorite bars morphed into a big fat jam session...usually a star studded jam session. Seen as many as 4 guitarists, full horn section, Drummer, two conga players, probably close to twenty people on stage including some really big names in the New Orleans music scene. Just al getting to gether cause they love to jam. It aint the place to break out in public for the first time (although it is easy to slip back in the shadows if you wanted to) but man it is an experience. Probably a couple hundred people in the crowd. I like being in the audience but really feel like a poser onstage with all those guys...but hell its still fun!
Slim
Regular

Postby Jbyrd 88 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:58 pm

A year or so ago at a jam night in a blues club I found myself on stage with five other guys. I think the singer/guitarist and the drummer were the only two who knew each other. We played a one, four, five blues song but the chord changes came at odd irregular times. The singer would sing a line that seemed to go on forever in the first chord and then he'd turn around and yell "four!" when the chord change came. He'd do the same thing at every change because none of the changes were where they "felt" like they should be. The whole thing came out like we had rehearsed it for hours and his yelling out the chord changes were like a part of the song that was supposed to be there. I don't think anyone in the audience was aware of what was going on....that we were all strangers and only one of us knew the song. That's why I love the Blues.

jbyrd88
Jbyrd 88
Regular

Postby Blues7Ways » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 am

i feel exactly the same way. I can practice for hours and never feel like I'm making any kind of improvement. But then i go out and jam and I amaze myself. All sorts of things just come out my hands, and I find out where i'm really at. I get really inspired and motivated to work harder.

A couple of weeks ago I said f-it and went to a blues guitar contest at a local music store. I can't play lead for heck, but i gave it a shot anyways, since a guy that i had jammed with weeks earlier had really encouraged me to play some lead. Of course i didn't win, and I played pretty lousy, but it was a great experience and really lit a fire under my butt, to start learning some licks by ear. Now about a month later, i think I could probably solo about a million times better. I just jammed this last weekend, and wow!

I just long to play with more devoted blues people, which are in short supply here. I always feel like I'm the "blues guy," showing other people stuff. I want a more experienced Blues guitarist to show me what's up.
Blues7Ways
Regular

Postby Randy G. Blues » Wed May 20, 2009 6:24 pm

In mid-2007 a friend invited me over for a friendly jam. I hadn't played with anyone in a LONG time, but it sounded. like fun. I had forgotten how much I got, spiritually, from playing with others, and even though their music was not at all t my liking, it got me motivated. I did some locally googling and found an open-mic blues jam.

I showed up at that weekly jam with about four harps, and that was all. Played through a vocal mic and the PA system, but was hooked! I played nearly every jam there for over a year and it helped me become a MUCH better player. I played a few other local jams as well. At one I played with a guitar player who later, by coincidence I ran across at a local music swap meet. For six months I had said to every musician I met, "You know of any blues group looking for a harp player?" it was the old joke, "Why are you asking me that?" and my reply was, "Are you kidding? I'm asking EVERYONE!" Well, that guitar player was just getting back into music after and he was, and I did, and am now part of a group. We just finished burning our first CD (which is pretty good for a garage mix done live with no over-dubbing) and in two days we play our first concert, in Chico, CA, as part of the Summer, weekly Friday Night Concert in the Park series!(50 groups applied for 19 openings).

So, yes, playing with others, and particularly in open jam situations will make you a better player.
Randy G. Blues
Regular

Previous

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!