Move to Clarksdale/Tunica area ?

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: Move to Clarksdale/Tunica area ?

Postby jellyroll baker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:49 am

>Sure looks like Fat
>Possum's moved on from blues for their new releases, too.

And that makes me mad! I still subscribe to their e-newsletter but there's never anything there that I really care about. Maybe if Kenny Brown records another one.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:19 pm

I don't think Kenny Brown's first CD (which I like) sold well. I saw it on a discount offer later.

I just can't go for this "Heartless Bastards" and "Deadboy and the Elephantmen" stuff.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby brass finger » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:31 am

I think my experience would be similar too yours.
Don't go!

I moved down south long ago 82, to Macon too find that Southern Rock thing, Allman vibe..
I would have done better in Athens..but I sought a ten year old scene and I wound up in Macon.

It was a nightmare, that whole vibe was dead, it was everything I tried to escape only worse.

A scene just happens, and you have to move to where it happens or be there by chance.
It happens, then becomes history, or evolves, but somewhere else.
brass finger
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:06 pm

I'm sorry, but no truer words spoken. I am watching that right now as I finally ventured out by myself. The first bar was called a wine lounge and from the moment I walked in the door it was a bit uncomfortable and when they charged me $6 for a beer that was crazy. I went to see this band that I have admired in the past. Rudy Parris. His brother Abel on drums and I am afraid to have forgotten the bass player's name - next time. They are so good as far as tight and killer vocals but - covers and not the blues covers. It was still good, I mean they are - otherwise it would not be worth it. I could not stay and would probably not go again but was told about another place and that was where it was happenin. When I first walked in I wasn't too sure. But it was comfortable. Then they played some blues and mostly originals. Some of it, most, a little complex. I think it could probably be pretty good. The musicians were really good and nice too. Friendly. Being around all these musicians and talking and sharing a few tunes as in old Journey which was really good. Made me feel bad about ever saying anything about Journey. Anything after this first stuff though was too commercial or polished or something I'm not sure. I shared my Cafe R&B and the bass player heard it and liked it.

Something struck me in a way I hadn't realized. I asked this Rudy how he can play this stuff when I've heard him really play before. He said, cause he loves it and it makes people happy and sure enough everyone was dancing. I got up for Tough Enough cause I practice to Fabulous Thunderbirds and LOVE them. Yeah, I was dancing with this wild woman who was having a good time partying with her boyfriend. Me and her were the only ones dancing on that one. She had recently danced by herself to Johnny Cash (she was from North Carolina) and then fell down on the way back to the bar so I had to talk to her and she actually was pretty interesting. But I digress. He grew up playing all these covers and they play them perfect and then he gets down probably at other times. It was just nice that he was nice to everyone who came up to him and joked with the whole place and got everyone up. This is not me but I respect it in a new way. Best Happy Birthday song I EVER heard, really.

I felt the energy and craftsmanship or skill and feel in all the musicians I met and they all know each other and this like other communities of musicians where the people have quit the hard alchohol or beer and drugs but still got the street left in them. People are creating music and there's some good people around and THAT is the fertile ground for music to grow and develop naturally. People putting other people down or competing or like 601's "Losing Your Ass" u r so busy with crap that it's hard grow. Well I think this is a new era coming on strong. In my town there used to be some really good musicians and they know who they are but they are shells right now and it's devastating. There was some real music going on in Zapp's like you would never hear anywhere. I've cried tears for the beauty of it. Tony's trumpet solo. I will never forget that feeling. Heavy Weather - my favorite band. I took everyone I liked to go see them. They were an inspiration and a saviour during some times when I really didn't think I could go on too much longer. THAT is how music is supposed to be. I love the guys that can quote stuff and tell every note and progression but give me what you got when you play from the gut. Once you've had it you can't go back. And you're always trying to achieve that yourself. Francis Rocco Prestia put it: The groove is when you're walking down the street with a bunch of guys and then someone throws a brick at a window That's when you're not in the groove. Right here, at 5:05 A.M. I offer a prayer up to God. I don't want to go to any more funerals or hear about any more people's funerals. Brass, you know you are good people and give some really good advice.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:10 pm

Zapp's home of some really good guitar players.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:58 pm

I should have gone to bed how embarassing i was just havin too much fun and I don't get out much.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:05 pm

Glad you had a good time, LoriLu!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby wolfeyes » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:56 pm

I think one trip to Reds juke joint in Mississippi and you'll be a convert. I thought the blues at his place was dynamite. Forget about Morgan Freemons place. I thought it was a bunch of jive.

Also, I really dig John Lowe in Memphis. His a little too excentric for most. He wrote a cool album called Banned on Beal St. He makes his own cigar box guitars, and plays drums why he plays. Most people say he isn't the blues, but who are they to judge? I've always like a fighter, and he uses the blues to bring the phony jerks on Beall St. down.
wolfeyes
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:06 pm

Chicago is still the home of the blues
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby wolfeyes » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:08 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:Chicago is still the home of the blues

Chicago is crowded, expensive, the winters are brutal, and the town is over run with big 10 frat boys. in clarksdale you can buy a house for the price of a six pack.
wolfeyes
Regular

Re: Move to Clarksdale/Tunica area ?

Postby Nicodemus » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:41 pm

Chicago is a great city. I lived there for 20 years and learned my blues there at the heels of some great players who used to tell stories about Sugar Blue, Little Walter, Wolf and Muddy. I met Carey Bell, who played with Muddy's last bands. Chicago is the blues, but it's clearly (and obviously) Chicago blues. It's the west side, single string attack and bass and drums and some harmonica. It's not acoustic delta blues that I prefer, but whatever. And it's all about the soloing. Just guys getting up there and blowing chorus after chorus. This isn't jazz, man. But anyway, the winters are brutal but the summers suck down south so big deal. It's expensive but then again all cities are expensive. Gotta pay if you wanna play. It's an international city and it costs as much. Still, cheaper than New York and San Fran, that's for sure.
Chicago has a very viable blues scene. There are a lot of great players in that city. If you want a real blues city, that's the only one left standing that I'm aware of. It is the heart of the blues in America these days. There's really little contest IMO. Memphis is overrated as a blues city (always been a rock and roll town) and the blues are dead in the mississsippi area from what I've been told, so it's pretty much all Chicago nowadays. Although it's been years since I've been to New York - it was never what I consider a real "blues" town anyway. Too much jazz.
Nicodemus
Regular

Postby Slim » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:51 pm

I agree that the blues scene in the Delta is fairly dead. I grew up in South Mississippi and have found that the Hattiesburg area has a few old blues players and some younger purists.....The Hill Country still has a fw left around Holly Springs but in general Mississippis Blues scene sucks. I live in New Orleans and the Frenchmen Street scene has some good blues: Coco Robicheaux, Mike Sklar, Washboard Chaz, St. Louis Slim, Sam Cammerata (more Ragtime but bluesy), etc all play very regularly. Also Kenny Brown and Dwayne Burnsides as well as other blues players play DBA occasionally.
Slim
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:03 pm

my wife and i- the duo JAWBONE and JOLENE- have fallen in love with clarksdale. not that we could make a living there but to me it's delta blues central. we've seen robert belfour there, i met honeyboy edwards and super chikan there too. jammed at chikan's place last time we were there! Jo and i have played the Depot blues club twice and we're invited to play a couple or three places during the sunflower blues fest in august. so it ain't dead there. it has shrunk some i guess but there are some real dedicated keepers of the flame there.
roger stolle of cat head, the art and music store downtown, has done so much to keep the fire burning. art and carol, chikan's partners at bluesberry cafe also. red over at red's lounge is always open to having someone come in and play. stan street is a very visible figure there also, both a delta artist and a musician, and he's put his own fest together too. sarah, who owns sarah's kitchen, is also a mainstay there, with a stage in her place.

the culture is different than it once was. clarksdale is much smaller than it once was. a lot of weekends there's not a lot happening, but on fest weekends the place is pretty busy. rooms are hard to come by on those weekends also, people come from all over the world to visit and delve into blues history. last time we went, we met londoners, aussies, bavarians. and we missed a lot of folks!

we learned kind of the hard way. you have to pick your weekends carefully or you may be playing to very few folks. but still, to be standing on the platform at the former train station where you know many many bluesmen walked, and staying at riverside hotel, where ike turner recorded "rocket 88", muddy and hooker and a host of others stayed........that's definitely a worthwhile experience.

so blues in c'dale ain't dead. it's slowed some. in a way it's become a tourist trade, but thank goodness for that! if you want to play there, don't expect to make a living. and if you move close by, make sure you have a good job. but if you really dig the blues, and you're into the history, it's a great place to hang out.

we're going to be there for sunflower blues and gospel fest and we'll actually be playing a couple of places! we aren't going there to make a lot of $$, but it's going to be like soul food.

if i could make a living there i think i'd move in a minute.
jbone1
Regular

Re: RE: Move to Clarksdale/Tunica area ?

Postby enotodden » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:24 am

lorilu wrote:There you go. Move in with Ricochet. I wonder where in the US there is anything going on. I know guys from here get booked in Europe. I bet there's stuff going on in some little off the wall places like where we are all from.

Actually, in the southern countys of Norway we have a great enviroment for blues players and at least two blues festivals every month of every year. There are alot of blues clubs, blues bars with jams and concerts and it's not that hard to get gigs.
In my hometown we had visits from many great artist this summer. Like Pinetop Perkins, The Faboulus Thunderbirds, Koko Taylor, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Super Chikan, Omar Kent Dykes and so on..
enotodden
Regular

Re: RE: Move to Clarksdale/Tunica area ?

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:10 am

mike932 wrote:The Blues are still in Mississippi, Memphis and Chicago.

One day I wish to travel to all of these locales and listen to the blues. Especially Chicago. For my 21st birthday I want to go to Chicago and go to some blues clubs. My dad has a friend who goes every year with some of his buddies. They drink expensive booze, smoke expensive guitars, and go to many clubs around Chicago. He loves going and told me I have to do it when I turn 21. So far, that's my plan for my 21st. Two and a half years to go.

What about Texas? Is there still a "Texas Blues" music scene in parts of Texas?
leftyguitarman
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!