Damage of my most important equiptment

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: Damage of my most important equiptment

Postby oakbone » Wed May 25, 2005 4:09 pm

Hey, Sleepy.

Slide is a good way to go and a lot easier on the joints. I've broken fingers in both of my hands about 4 times each, and really don't have the movement I used to, despite hours and hours and hours of stretching and trying...ugh. Anyway, throw a slide on and see how you like it, give those joints a rest and draw out some new sounds.
oakbone
Regular

Slide is the way to go

Postby slickcat » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:27 am

I recently had a stroke in the right side of my brain....that made my left hand so weak I couldnt play regular guitar anymore...even with the lightest strings I had trouble fretting and also a loss of coordination. Believe me, I tried to get my fingers to work but just sounded like crap. I took up slide and never looked back. I mainly play in open E and can do lots of Blues tunes;Eagles;Allmans;Beatles;Stones; Its awsome I thought my playin days were over...hell they just started! I came to one conclusion..if the music is in you, it will come out. I seen a handicapped guy with no arms play a acoustic with his feet! Damn ...he sounded good too!!
Hang in there dont give up and keep playin. You need it. Your soul needs it. ;-)
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Slide is the way to go

Postby panhead74 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:47 am

> ..if the music is in you, it will come out.

Amen.

Best of luck...and a prayer...
panhead74
Regular

Postby srvlives » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:11 am

So I was just wondering if any of you guys have hand/finger ailments and how you get around them.

Yeah, mine won't listen to my brain.... :(

On the subject of sex alleviating headaches, the mere mention of it usally provokes one around here :( :(

-------------------
'Do the shing-a-ling now baby'
srvlives
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:59 am

On the subject of sex alleviating headaches, the mere mention of it usally provokes one around here :D :D

Shane-

If you didn't knock her up every time you had a shag, you might get more in the line of recreational activity. :D

Sorry mate, couldn't resist.

Bosco

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it."
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:11 pm

Sounds like the most important equipment's in working order.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:26 pm

In 1975 My Great grandmother,passed on she was 105 and 9mons old, and did very intrecate croshea don't know how to spell, dat but made dollies and arm covers for everything,and was sharp as a tack I loved sittin and talkin with her,But every morning she would drink down a glass 6oz of half raw honey and distilled vinigar, she never hand any joint problems at all she claimed it cleaned her bones,and if you think about it thats the way you clean a steam iron of calicum is vinigar!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:34 pm

Lots of people take fish oil supplements to help with chronic joint pains. It can be pretty effective.

ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:35 am

I wonder if apple cider vinegar would be as good.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:38 am

A lot of vinegar advocates say it's better. I dunno about vinegar's benefits, but it can't hurt.

ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:20 am

Apple cider vinegar? Don't know about that one, but four pints of Weston's cider usually cures any pain I have.

And the milk thing: a surprising number of people are physically incapable of tolerating it, try losing it & associated products from your diet, it's worked for me.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:46 am

"Badfinger rigged himself up a special thumb brace at one time."

I still have them. The main one was for my left thumb joint - it made it rigid, preventing my moving it which in time re-shaped my hand while playing. Great device:

[center]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/blake-roberts/odds/Thumb%20Splint.jpg[/center]

Meanwhile, my "hand person" (Orthopoedic surgeon to his posh friends) has put me on NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Ainti-inflammatory Drugs) in the form of Meloxicam - 15mg p.d., with fantastic effect! I can now play for up to an hour, without the splint, and with minimal discomfort.

One thing he reminds me about, whenever I see him, is that, generally speaking, "...it's only pain!" This is not a callous remark: what he means is that, in my case, it is just pain - I am not actually doing significantly more harm to the (already damaged/worn-out) joints by playing and working, which is also an area wherein I abuse my ageing hands.

Another thing: I use a trackball (not a mouse) and the right thumb does a lot of scrolling with the little wheel, as well as hammering the "L & R" buttons (which are on the LH side, one above the other). I recently reprogrammed the pointer device so that the buttons I use are now on the RH side and are operated by my fingers - swapping things about like this to vary the actions we perform is a good thing to do when it can be arranged.

But - bottom line: although lots of good info is to be found among comrades on this board, and surfing around, and chatting to old wives, no matter what else, always go to the professional for the real gen!
badfinger
Regular

Postby godinguy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:54 am

Hi Sleepy.
Hope I'm not too late to put my 2 cents worth in.
I'm an older guy who used to suffer greatly from arthritis pains in the hand, fingers, and especially the base of both thumbs.
An older lady I know told me her "secret".
Vitamin D or Cod liver oil (in capsule form if you're fussy), plus 1/2 a teaspoon of Dolomite powder, taken each day. Dolomite is used in pottery to make glazes, but there is a purer form available. My adviser was a potter and just used the raw version (hey, at 78 she said "how long do I want to live"?). Just mix the Dolomite in water or juice, or sprinkle on your cereal, etc.
It worked for me. Took about 3 days for all the pain to go.
Hope this helps.
Regards to all from New Zealand.
godinguy
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:25 pm

I'm only 16, but I've broken my right wrist twice and my right hand once, so I've spent some time in casts. During the cold months here, my wrists hurt real bad. If I sit down and play guitar (which is pretty much the only way I play) it hurts my wrists to play barre chords. Living in Washington doesnt help any. hahaha.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:31 pm

About the time I posted that about fish oil a few posts above, I started taking it regularly myself. Helped my old creaky, achy joints. I still take it.
ricochet
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!