Digital Drums

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: Digital Drums

Postby lorilu » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:28 am

That makes sense, 601. Interesting stuff I never knew, Ricochet. In some ways we want the new and in others I find myself holding on to the old. I refused to get online until just recently and I am not really sorry about that. I have learned a lot of amazing things and continue to on this site. Your information makes a lot of sense. It would make more sense from what you have said to go digital than to buy a set of drum mikes which is also costly. What about bars and places like that without mikes? This is making me think a little differently though I admit to not wanting to.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:45 am

WELL you mic the vintage drums so they can be heard

What the hell are we talking about here, 500 seat ballrooms for Chrissake? If you feel the need to mic the drums at all, either;

A. The drummers a whimp
or
B. Everybody else is TOO LOUD.

For your standard 150 capacity club or bar, you adjust everybody else on stage to the NATURAL level of the drums. That should be all you need no matter how rowdy the crowd gets. Besides picking up the mentioned ambient noise, micing drums only creates a vicious spiral where everybody keeps getting louder until it's just a wall of noise. At this point the old pros have already walked off stage and anyone in the audience with any sense has left as well.

Let's keep this in perspective...mic your drums for the festival stage or the hockey arena...which incidently probably applies to about 3% of the members of this board.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:44 pm

Dang Bosco! Yeah I haven't been asked to play any arenas for awhile. I agree with you and glad to hear what you said because I keep thinking about this subject and I STILL can't get around the thought of digital drums. We did some recording in a studio a while back and didn't have but a simple but nice mike to record the drum parts. The engineer made it sound great! No problem.

I agree with the micing thing. Everyone keeps getting louder. But again depending on the place, the acoustics, how the mics are set up. I was at a place Saturday night and experienced just that. They were trying out a drummer who was a metal guy and he was mic'd and the sound was crappy. There weren't many people so we all became friends at the break. They let me put in my 2 cents and turned off the mike and I tried to damp the bass drum but he wasn't used to that sound. Everyone could turn down and they could finally hear each other. Anyway we all had fun.
lorilu
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:23 am

> WELL you mic the vintage drums so they can be heard
>
>What the hell are we talking about here, 500 seat ballrooms
>for Chrissake? If you feel the need to mic the drums at all,
>either;
>
>A. The drummers a whimp
>or
>B. Everybody else is TOO LOUD.
>
>For your standard 150 capacity club or bar, you adjust
>everybody else on stage to the NATURAL level of the drums.
>That should be all you need no matter how rowdy the crowd
>gets. Besides picking up the mentioned ambient noise, micing
>drums only creates a vicious spiral where everybody keeps
>getting louder until it's just a wall of noise. At this
>point the old pros have already walked off stage and anyone
>in the audience with any sense has left as well.
>
>Let's keep this in perspective...mic your drums for the
>festival stage or the hockey arena...which incidently
>probably applies to about 3% of the members of this board.
>
>Bosco

in my experience, half the time it's the DRUMMER who is too loud for the small clubs / low wattage PA, so I wouldn't mind one with a volume knob, it would be GREAT: once you can turn the drummer down, the rest can turn down too

the last band I was in, the drummer bought one, but I left before he felt comfortable enough with it to use it live. We DID record a demo with it and, it was WAY easier to record and mix than trying to capture a "live" drumset and get that mixed halfway decent!
jaybee
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:50 pm

THANK YOU!! Dats the point havin control of your volume weather you need more or less, Most of da time I want less,I play some very small places, And digital drums give you more at LESS volume,but its a matter of what one wants,and there is no 1 soloution to this topic,however for me if I had a choice of drums that backs me,and I do most of da time I would want digital and turn em down,I will leave it at dat.
601blues
Regular

Postby nizer » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:13 pm

Volume is in the player, not the instrument. That's just a dumb piece of hardware - garbage in, garbage out. One of the biggest problems with bands is the lack of dynamics. Even if you can get the volume balanced equally between instruments, playing flat out all the time gets boring. It's like a car - having power under the hood allows you to pass with confidence but you're not going to drive at 140 clicks all the time.
nizer
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:45 pm

Volume is in the player, not the instrument.

Now we're gettin' somewhere. A volume knob for the drummer should be located right in the middle of his forehead. That's why they invented brushes and dampening rings.

The whole concept of micing drums just to able to turn them down is absurd. If digital works for you in the small clubs you play 601, I say go for it.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:33 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-06 AT 11:36 AM (EST)]The drummer who hosts a jam I'm playin' at tonite is one of those guys you just love to play with. I've gigged with his band twice ,and this is one of those guys that,as soon as you start playin' with him,you know you're in the presence of a real musician. He plays at low volumes extremely well,with great dynamics,gettin' tons of miles out of every inch of his kit,and has all the skills. He's a heckuva trumpet player who played with an Air Force band for about 15 years,and is the antithesis of the "problem" drummer we complain about so much on this board. He does one tune where he plays trumpet while he's drummin'. I can't wait to go play with him after followin' this thread for a few days. At one rehearsal,he had failed to bring a cymbal stand for the ride (thinkin' that the bandleader always had a full kit set up in the basement),so he just placed the cymbal upside down on a tom that he didn't need to use,and played the thing no problem for the nite. I can't imagine him usin' a digital set,but I never thought my other buddy, about whom I started this thread , would play digitals either.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:57 pm

I would have to agree that it depends on the drummer and how they handle the kit. There are just so many amazing sounds that can come out of a kit even without brushes. And dynamics are in every aspect of the band and ALL the players. That is to me what makes the songs most exciting, the times they build up, the times they are driven, the times they pull back and express all the emotions within the lyrics, melody and rhythyms. The equipment is nice, it's a plus but it's always what's inside. I paint murals with house paint and the rattiest brushes and it makes no difference. I'll send pictures when I figure that all out. What is really most amazing to me is how a group of 3 or more people can get together and make this thing called music happen. How sounds can evoke so much feeling and free up emotions.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:28 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-06 AT 02:30 PM (EST)]YUP!! sometimes we get to caught up on eq,and how much and what! and it really has no bearin at all,if you have it in you it will come out!! I went to Grand Caymen,3 days after Hurricane Ivan It was torn all to heck, not a power pole left standin on the island, They were completly under water for 10min , I went to visit a dear friend and do what I could, I took along my Epi Sheraton and a matrix 15 watt amp, the 1st night was like survivor island!! we were sittin around on the dock and talkin about music! I said I had a guitar and battery powered amp ,we pulled that out and took turns playin,it really helped lift the sprits, then my pal asked me to play some blues,I was very reluctant,cuz I didn't have all my eq,I have been so used to but I played impromtu,and had a great time,for about 4 hr,just me and my guitar,And of course the whos who were all there and they wouldn't let me put my guitar down,It felt great and I had the best time of my life that night Ive ever had when people aske me about my best gig I refer to that night, Ive learned that all I need is my guitar and somphin to sing about!!The next week before I left They all got together and gave me a beautiful Gold and black coral ring with 3 diamonds that rep.the 3 islands of cayman,
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:27 pm

That is so awesome. I can just imagine sitting out there as you described. So you don't mind if I reject the digitals for now. Cool. I guess it's always what's inside that counts.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:25 am

Lori I know you like pics this one brings back a lot of mem for me[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/601blues/m92.jpg
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:37 am

Well you have been blessed haven't you. You earned it I'm sure. Thanks for showing all the cool pictures. I DO enjoy them but I asked you not to put up that picture of me - it makes my butt look big!:*
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:54 am

I must've missed that.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Previous

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!