MIDI keyboard advice

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

MIDI keyboard advice

Postby fabulous furry freak » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:34 am

OK, I'd never really played the piano much at all, but I was visiting my grand parents who have a baby grand, and after messing about with it for I while, I really started to get into it and ended up playing some half decent stuff (considering I had next to no previous experience). So now I really want to learn some more, the thing is, theres no chance I'd be able to fit a piano in my house, so I've been thinking about getting a half decent MIDI keyboard.

One thing I really like about pianos is the weight of the keys, so I'd like the keys to have some weight behind them, not necessarily full weighted, just so long as they aren't those cheapy clicky things. Another thing I'd like is a decent number of keys, 61 seems enough for my needs seeing as most MIDI keyboards have some sort of octave shift button.
Another thing I should mention is that I'm not at all bothered about bundled software seeing as I'm on Linux, and theres open source solutions for every thing I need.

heres a couple I've seen mentioned in other forums and look good to me:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/3990
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/13886

Any one got any suggestions or advise?
fabulous furry freak
Regular

Re: MIDI keyboard advice

Postby tz1238 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:51 pm

If you are really serious about learning I would check all the classifieds and try to get a used Yamaha electric piano with weighted 88 keys.
I had a Clavinova and I loved it. There are plenty out there, just keep looking. If you really start getting into piano, the first thing
you will regret is not having a full keyboard.
tz1238
Regular

Postby fabulous furry freak » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:34 pm

Yeah, I do really like the full 88 keys, I've got a really old 80's keyboard I mess around with very occasionally which only has 49 keys, and it really isn't enough. The thing is, I'd quite like a midi keyboard because I'd like to mess around with softsynths a bit... maybe I should just look for electric keyboards, and try to get one with a MIDI jack rather than specifically looking for MIDI keyboards.
fabulous furry freak
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:57 pm

In the U.S. it is quite common to find huge used keyboard sales on occasions when school systems are dumping their old ones for newer ones. If you can identify which keyboard sellers supply the school systems you may be able to contact them to see if they have any around. The Yamahas are quite often the lowest price good pianos available because they are usually the most common. Yamaha's voicing is impossible to beat as well. Other good brands are Technics, Baldwin, Kurzweil, and to a lesser extent, Casio. All of these except Casio will usually sell for a higher price than the Yamahas-- again because of the greater availability of the Yammies, and their popularity with the school systems. Some of the weighted key pianos have variable touch, which means you can adjust the "weightedness" anywhere from Concert Classical down to almost organ touch.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fabulous furry freak » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:23 pm

well I've found this:
http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5215
looks pretty good to me, I've checked out a few reviews, and allot of people seem to like the action, and its within my price range.
It's pretty no thrills, but that ain't a bad thing, if i want a loada' sound effects, i can just plug it into my computer.
fabulous furry freak
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:01 pm

Just be sure to check out the tone on the bass keys (lower register) keys on the board before you decide to buy it, or keep it. I play a $160 Yammy digital (no weighted action) at my acoustic jam, and the bass response is genuine piano tone; since I fried my board I played a buddy's Casio last week and the bass tones on that thing didn't even sound like a piano. I wouldn't tolerate it if I owned it. Be careful...don't get stuck with somethin' you may not be happy with.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard