Marking your Harp keys

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: Marking your Harp keys

Postby bosco » Sun May 14, 2006 11:04 am

Here's a photo of my harpcase that Bluejay took, a tidy 3 years after I started this thread. Better late than never I suppose. I still think it is the best system for labeling harps that I have seen.

Bosco
Last edited by bosco on Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:15 pm

Any of you harp hotshots care to comment on this?

Keepin them in their original boxes don't cut it...too easy to put the wrong harp in the wrong box. This system is ideal for dark stages and for telling which end of the harp is which.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:27 pm

I agree that leaving them in the boxes doesn't work; it takes up too much space,for one thing. I store mine in the case, top of comb up; I use a mixture of white paint,and luminescent nite-glo to mark the key on the top of the comb. No matter what kind of lighting I got,I can read 'em. I do have a little gooseneck lite that I used to clip on the top of the case lid,but I haven't used it since I went to luminescent paint. I could use a little bigger case though. At present,I'm using a Fender case,with the harps stored standing on their bottoms,so I can get more of 'em in there; and, I've got my mic,chord,and Danelectro delay, and a wall wart, on the other side,in the well,but it'd be nice if I had room for the DigiTech delay,and the Harp Commander,too. As it is, for gigging,I take an extra bag,with backup mic,chords,tubes,delay, extension chord, extra wall wart,and extra harps. Oh,sometimes,a half-pint too.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Erikjr21 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:53 am

I have a case of plastic cheap ones were the leters were wearing off so this would be a great ideal for me thanks
Erikjr21
Regular

Postby bluzadero » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:44 pm

As an update to my earlier post from a couple of months back, I just found a glow-in-the-dark marking pen that seems to work just fine:

http://www.clubthings.com/product671.html

I have been using glow paint made for gunsights. I found the pen in a store in Louisiana. But, it's obviously found online as well.
bluzadero
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:52 pm

My system of marking them with a mixture of glow in the dark hobby paint,and white paint, has been working fine as far as seeing them, but it does rub off, or scuff after a year or so. So, I get to repaint 'em once in a while, which satisfies my urge to mess with my gear.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluzadero » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:14 pm

One thing that helps with the gradual 'erasing' via rubbing against your skin, pockets, etc is to use small metal letter punches as branding irons then carefully apply the paint into the bottom of the trough of the letter. I used to get real careful and use a wooden toothpick to get the paint down into the groove. But, now I just use the applicator pen and let it slop out over the sides, then wipe the excess away with a damp paper towel.
bluzadero
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:16 pm

You guys are killing me.

Glow in the dark paint. Metal punches. Embossing. Special pens.

Has anyone even tried my method? If you did, your experimentation would end there. Too bad the html is shut off because of our Spammer/Idiot. You'll have to use the link to see my photo.

At $3.00 for a sheet of vinyl letters you can't go wrong. You can easily see 'em on a dark stage, you'll never play the wrong end of the harp, they last forever, won't wear off and you can transfer the sticker to another harp two years from now. The only way my system wouldn't work is if you stored your harps on end and needed to mark the ends.

For the love of God, will somebody else please try it? :wink:

Bosco
Last edited by bosco on Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:28 pm

Geez Bosco,yer spoilin' my fun,ya' ol' crank! LOL! For cripes sake, I got a 5 year supply of paint in a couple 2 oz. bottles! I can't quit now. Hell no,I ain't gonna try your system until my paint goes dry in the bottle. I'm just now learnin' how to letter without makin' squiggly lines.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:04 pm

>I got a 5 year supply of paint...<

Well,....there....you....go.

Now we're gettin' somewhere. With a 5 year supply of vinyl stickers, I won't be getting around to trying your system any time soon either!

:P
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:35 pm

If I use your system,I'll run outa C's in no time. I call G the old man's key,'cuz it's how far my vocal range sank in 30 years. I think I keep 4-5 of those things (C's) in my case (2 SP20s,1 LO,& a Hering,at least). I'd wind up playin' in the key of Z.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Marking Harps

Postby Splash » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:42 pm

Large-tip PAINT PEN. It's better than my old method, fingernail polish.

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!
Splash
Regular

Previous

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!