Starter guitar for slide?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Starter guitar for slide?

Postby tz1238 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm just starting out playing slide guitar. I play electric now and would like to try a resonator guitar and set it up strictly for slide playing. Is there any decent guitars in the 550.00 range or lower that any of you guys reccomend? I don't want to spend a ton of money, till I see how much I like playing. Thanks for any help you can give me.
tz1238
Regular

Re: Starter guitar for slide?

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:55 pm

A lot of people highly recommend the Republic line of resonators. I've never played them but I've heard mostly all good things about them. Check out http://www.republicguitars.com to see all of them. If you search through the forums, you'll see all the topics about them. Nobody really has anything bad to say about them.

I have an Epiphone Biscuit (wood bodied single cone, look at my pic on the right) and I love it. The stock cone is really cheap, but it sounds good. I took it apart one day to look inside just for fun, and when I reassembled it, the tone seemed to improve. It's a really raunchy sounding single cone. I'm not sure if Epiphone is still making the Biscuit, but they're readily available on ebay. The only thing I dislike about the Biscuit is that the fretboard isn't really wide. Apart from that, I love it.

Hope you find a good one. :wink:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby De Ferre » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:00 pm

I've got a Johnson jm998, €299, and I'm happy with it.
De Ferre
Regular

Postby DaveG » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:01 pm

If you want something that is cheap but still does the job check out the Rogue resonators from Musicians Friend. They sound pretty good for the money and if it doesn't work out you don't have a lot invested in them. They also have a 30 day return policy.
Last edited by DaveG on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveG
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:20 pm

The Rogue spider I got on a Stupid Deal sale for $140 is my current favorite. I love it!
ricochet
Regular

Postby tz1238 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:57 pm

Guys,
Thanks for all the input. The search is on.
tz1238
Regular

Postby tz1238 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:25 pm

Has anybody tried a Oscar Schmidt Spider Mahogany Resonator Guitar? It's made by Washburn. and the
Jay Turser Natural Resonator Electric Guitar, (both acoustic and electric)?
tz1238
Regular

Postby zhyla » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:19 pm

The Rogue brass is also a good cheap reso.

But heck, if you play electric, why not just slide on that?
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby tz1238 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:39 pm

I would like to have a guitar set up strictly for slide playing with heavier strings, higher action, etc. I have a Strat and a Gretsch 5120 now, but I want those two guitars for normal playing. Maybe I should look for another Strat??
tz1238
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:55 pm

I steer clear of Strats with trem bridges, but just put a set of 12s on and don't adjust the truss rod or action height. Works great for me.
ricochet
Regular

Postby whirligig » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:55 pm

Seconding the rec for Republic resos, you might check with Frank via email on the site (republicguitars.com)...sometimes he has 'seconds' with minor cosmetic blemishes he sells at a discount. He's honest and very reasonable. I started almost a year ago on one of his Tricones and I love it, it's perfectly up to professional sound in my opinion but reasonably priced and has been great for a beginner like me. I bought a biscuit from him also and love it too. You'll find great reviews for the Republics. He sets them up the way you want, too, and they work great w/ a variety of strings. If they're out of your budget, maybe the Rogue or the Epiphone the guys mentioned :)
whirligig
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:02 pm

ricochet wrote:I steer clear of Strats with trem bridges, but just put a set of 12s on and don't adjust the truss rod or action height. Works great for me.

I agree with Ric when it comes to this. Your best bet if you want a Strat is to put some big strings and leave it be and keep it in one tuning. If you're going to play slide on a Strat, it's a huge pain in the ass to change tunings, even if you put 5 springs in the back. My Strats never leave standard because it take at least 5 minutes to tune them. If you want a Strat for slide, get a hardtail.

Have you been sliding on your Strat that you have? IMO, it's hard to slide on Strats because of the radiused fretboard which is why I always slide on my Les Paul or my Agile.

If you already have two electrics but you want something for slide only, I'd say go with a resonator. Everyone ought to own one.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby birddog » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Alot of good suggestions here already.
You have the same thoughts I did a few months back. Wanted a Republic (just can't make up my mind which one)
So I bought a Wood body Johnson spider Reso on ebay for just over a hundred bucks to fool around with. Actually I like it, hasn't got grizzly/nasty tone of a tricone but it works.
By the time my skills improve, I might be able to decide which Republic I want. Every now & then I can toss a few bucks in the slush fund for the Republic.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:46 pm

I love my Johnson tricone, but there's nothing that sounds like a spider. They're my favorite sort of reso overall.
ricochet
Regular

Postby tz1238 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:37 pm

Thanks for all the input.
tz1238
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar