Kay reissue

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Kay reissue

Postby goldbrick » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:07 pm

Kay Vintage Reissue Guitars Reissue Thin Twin Electric Guitar #528022
Check Musicians friend

Might have to look out for one of these with the tiger pickguard--Definitly 'Wolf, Elmore, Jimmy Reed vibe
goldbrick
Regular

Re: Kay reissue

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:35 pm

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=528022

Damn I hate playing left handed. I'm really kicking myself in the ass for it. I'd love to have something that looked like that. The one with the tiger pickguard looks badass.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:50 pm

Thank goodness that's outside the "spur of the moment" price range (it's been almost a year since the last guitar, and mostly it's been easy being good, but there's been a few guitars recently to strike my fancy).
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby goldbrick » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:29 pm

You are right if it was less, than 500 I woulda had to get it
goldbrick
Regular

Postby jpfeiff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:38 pm

I've been watching original Thin Twins on eBay for a over a year now, hoping to score one. They routinely go for $1000.00 and up. There a few SIlvertone Re-issues that have been coming out lately too, though not real widely available. I'm guessing these re-issues are coming out of China? or Korea? Anybody know? Haven't seen them reviewed yet anywhere...

Interesting they chose to put a Kay "Kelvinator" headstock on it--that was not a headstock that I have ever seen on an original Thin Twin. In fact, they have combined elements of the Silvertone brand and the Kay brand on a couple of those models.
jpfeiff
Regular

Postby grady » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:17 pm

As ugly as that guitar is, it better sound good.
grady
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:56 am

The originals are about the same price aren't they? Funny thing with reissue prices.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:59 am

zhyla wrote:The originals are about the same price aren't they? Funny thing with reissue prices.

The older ones probably play better and they for sure have some more mojo to them. I do like the look of that axe though.

I want to find some older guitars to purchase. I'm thinking about getting rid of two of my electrics so I can get a vintage cheap guitar, or a reso. Or another Strat. But selling guitars is hard. It's hard to part with them.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby jpfeiff » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:01 am

zhyla wrote:The originals are about the same price aren't they? Funny thing with reissue prices.

You'd be hard-pressed to land an original for less than $1000.00--probably more like $1200. SO the re-issue offers good value comparitively, assumig that they are well-built and the pickups sound good. Vintage examples can be hit or miss or well, depending on how hard a life they have led. We'll see, though, as this whole retail market re-adjusts, prices are likely to fall some.
jpfeiff
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:44 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:I want to find some older guitars to purchase. I'm thinking about getting rid of two of my electrics so I can get a vintage cheap guitar, or a reso. Or another Strat. But selling guitars is hard. It's hard to part with them.

The trick is to acquire enough guitars that you reach critical mass and other guitars just gravitate towards your house.

There are some still-cheap Harmony electrics and most Teiscos still sell for under $200 these days (and they're weird!).
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:16 pm

I'll have to keep that in mind! :mrgreen:

I saw a really cool left handed Harmony electric on ebay for $350 a few weeks back. It was in great condition but I didn't have the money for it. I would love to have a Teisco, but left handed ones are extremely rare.

I met a guy at my cousin's guitar store one day who had a left handed Teisco that he had put different pickups in and strung it right handed. He said he was thinking about selling it, but I didn't have money for it. Maybe when I go back to Washington I'll ask my cousin if he knows the guy. Maybe I can see how much the guy wants for it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:51 am

zhyla wrote:
leftyguitarman wrote:I want to find some older guitars to purchase. I'm thinking about getting rid of two of my electrics so I can get a vintage cheap guitar, or a reso. Or another Strat. But selling guitars is hard. It's hard to part with them.

The trick is to acquire enough guitars that you reach critical mass and other guitars just gravitate towards your house.

That's sort of starting to happen. People get in contact with me/come to me with guitars, hoping maybe I or someone I know will buy their guitar. Seriously - I could probably start JB's List or something...

pEAce,
jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:03 pm

zhyla wrote: The trick is to acquire enough guitars that you reach critical mass and other guitars just gravitate towards your house.

He's not wrong, you know. It's happened to me. I've got it down to 4 guitars, if I get another, the cycle will start again and probably accelerate exponentially.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Gassed » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:11 pm

I just bought one of the Blonde Kay thin twin reissues.I just got it from MF the only place I could find them.There price is 788.00 but I bought a blem for 685.00 the blem is a 2" long crack in the clear coat on the back not in the wood at all I think it is a keeper.The way I look at it there isn't a guitar that I have that hasn't been banged a time or two.As for the guitar it is very nice qaulity .I love the headstock badge myself.It has a real nice binding and a cross grained flamed maple top.It also has a plate on the back of the headstock that has Kay with the serial number nodel number and the company address limited vintage reissues.As far as palyability I took it out of the Awsome costom brown and white red velvet lined with Kay emblem on front case tuned it up and the set up intonation was right on for me.
I can't compare to a vintage kay of this type But I have played many differant vintage guitars and thought about buying vintage thintwin but for what they are getting out of them online I just couldn't do it the old ones don't have truss rods.Now if I ever ran across a vintage one in person that may be differant.In comparison to other Kays Hamonys That I have played I Think It might be far to say that this guitars COULD be better then the originals.
Also I think the pickups sound good Not real hot but they get Fat and they get thin and any where in between.
Gassed
Gassed
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:38 am

Kool--Where is it made ?
goldbrick
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar