Rookie rattler?

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Rookie rattler?

Postby tobiepsg » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:29 am

Since some of you guys are complaining that it's too quiet in this section of the forum, let me throw this one at you to chew on.

I have recently decided to start with bass and bought an Ibanez SR900 (brand new) exactly a week ago. Price- and review-wise this is not a beginners-guitar, so I can't blame the axe. In fact, I've only played slide instruments before, so finger-fretting is new to me - and I thus know exactly where the problem is! I pick up rattles, specially when playing the E-string on the first fret (It appears to be rattling on the 2nd fret). I've adjusted the string quite a bit by now, but it still rattles a bit.

What to do? Is this a rookie-technique problem which will disappear by itself in time? Or should I simply stay away from playing the F note on the 4-string? Or should I keep on raising the string - but where do I draw the line?

Gimme some good advice, guys... :?
tobiepsg
Regular

Re: Rookie rattler?

Postby tobiepsg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:48 am

Just for the record: I've lowered the E-string way down (for no particular reason at all other than believing the rattle was my own fault). The rattle's gone - totally gone! Maybe I was just plucking it too hard? :?
tobiepsg
Regular

Postby mike932 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:33 am

have you tried fingering near the fret? My teacher was always coaching me to finger near the high end of the fret. No more rattles or buzz.
mike932
Regular

Postby tobiepsg » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:55 am

mike932 wrote:have you tried fingering near the fret?

Yea thanks Mike, that was not the problem - and I have not encountered the prob again thereafter.
tobiepsg
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom