Ragged and Dirty

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Ragged and Dirty

Postby maoster » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Looking for help!

I have searched high and low for tabs for this fantastic Willie Brown song - with no success (other than Stefan Grossman version ).

Can anyone point me in the right direction? - even chords and tuning would be great

cheers

Mark
Last edited by maoster on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
maoster
Regular

Re: Ragged and Dirty

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:05 pm

It's been awhile, but as I recall Stephan Grossman's tab points you in the right direction, which is rare for him. Capo at the 7th fret and play out of a G chord.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby killerkarl » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:05 pm

Ok first post here :) dunno how far I am off the mark with this but I have only managed to figure out the first line of the song on guitar, I cant work the rest out so tab would be welcome here as well. This is far as I got lol-

I stick a capo on the 7th fret although it can be played without out if your better than me-

-------1--0--------------------1--0-------------
-1h3---------1--3-------2h3---------1-----3--
------------------2--------------------------2--
-------------------------------------------------

hope you have better luck figuring the rest out than me
killerkarl
Regular

Postby maoster » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:18 am

boogiechillun85 wrote:It's been awhile, but as I recall Stephan Grossman's tab points you in the right direction, which is rare for him. Capo at the 7th fret and play out of a G chord.

Yeah - was being a bit unfair on Mr Grossman as it is a good starting point but pretty basic (and doesn't say to capo at 7!).

Thanks both you guys for the advice - was playing around with this last night and starting to sound vaguely in right ball park. I guess there's no subsitute to trying to work these things out by ear.

cheers
maoster
Regular

Postby killerkarl » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:48 pm

Look what I found- totally differant to the way I would play it but not a bad version

http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/RaggedAndDirty.pdf
killerkarl
Regular

Postby maoster » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks KillerKarl

I actually did look at that version but can't make it sound anything like the original. The Stefan Grossman version is probably the best starting point BUT it requires one hell of a thumb stretch to keep the bass going - anyone else found that?

Cheers
maoster
Regular

Postby shaw » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

maoster wrote:Thanks KillerKarl

I actually did look at that version but can't make it sound anything like the original. The Stefan Grossman version is probably the best starting point BUT it requires one hell of a thumb stretch to keep the bass going - anyone else found that?

Cheers

Yeah, you do need to fret with your thumb. Which lots of people do all the time, of course - I think it's the fact that you have to bar the first two strings on the first fret with your index finger that takes a little time getting used to. I don't play that song very often, but use that technique (thumb on third fret for the G, bar the first two strings on C and F) for a couple of my own songs. Nice way to play some interesting things with a G chord.

I have pretty big hands, so it's not so much of a problem for me. I also double-jointed my thumb when younger, so it's pretty flexible. But if you slowly let your hand get used to it, you'll end up feeling more comfortable with it, of course.

Though it may not be quite like the original, I think Grossman's arrangement is a nice song in it's own right.
shaw
Regular

Postby maoster » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:36 pm

shaw wrote:
maoster wrote:Thanks KillerKarl

Cheers

Yeah, you do need to fret with your thumb. Which lots of people do all the time, of course - I think it's the fact that you have to bar the first two strings on the first fret with your index finger that takes a little time getting used to. I don't play that song very often, but use that technique (thumb on third fret for the G, bar the first two strings on C and F) for a couple of my own songs. Nice way to play some interesting things with a G chord.

I have pretty big hands, so it's not so much of a problem for me. I also double-jointed my thumb when younger, so it's pretty flexible. But if you slowly let your hand get used to it, you'll end up feeling more comfortable with it, of course.

Though it may not be quite like the original, I think Grossman's arrangement is a nice song in it's own right.

Hey thanks Shaw - good advice

Do you always fret E string with thumb on that song?
maoster
Regular

Postby shaw » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:48 am

maoster wrote:
Hey thanks Shaw - good advice

Do you always fret E string with thumb on that song?

For the G chords I always use my thumb. The first C chord (near the beginning, with the Eb on the second string), I've changed to make it easier. I alternate between the fifth string and third string with my right thumb, instead of the fifth and sixth string. So I never go to the sixth string except during the G chord.

I have been using my thumb on the sixth for C chords lately, too (been trying to play some Blind Blake songs and don't know how else you'd be able to do it - seems easier than fretting the fifth and sixth strings both at once with the third finger). So I might try that in "Ragged and Dirty", too, for that first C chord.
shaw
Regular

Postby macfunk » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:43 pm

TLSspider has done one for Power Tab Editor - only you have to download PTE software to display it. It is very good for free software! The tab seems a good stab at the Willie Brown version:
http://www.tabscout.com/guitartab/v6ZMw ... nd%20Dirty

Does anyone know how to get hold of a recording of the Willie Brown version? I like CW Stoneking doing it, but I guess his version will be a bit different to the original.

PS I think the acousticfingerstyle.com version may be based on John Estes' earlier version of the song.
macfunk
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:21 am

I've been wanting to figure this out for some time. Already saw the tab posted here. I found it totally useless. Most versions I've heard are played with capo. There are a couple good youtube videos of people playing this, but I haven't figured it out yet.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:10 am

Okay, I came across a youtube video of someone playing this and it was pretty easy to figure out. Can't remember the dude's name, but if you look up "ragged and dirty" you'll see one of the videos has a screen shot of a guy wearing a light blue sweater. This is the video you want to watch.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby HipHopBlues » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:52 am

macfunk wrote:TLSspider has done one for Power Tab Editor - only you have to download PTE software to display it. It is very good for free software! The tab seems a good stab at the Willie Brown version:
http://www.tabscout.com/guitartab/v6ZMwa5@/vbs/Ragged%20And%20Dirty

Does anyone know how to get hold of a recording of the Willie Brown version? I like CW Stoneking doing it, but I guess his version will be a bit different to the original.

PS I think the acousticfingerstyle.com version may be based on John Estes' earlier version of the song.

This brings up another question I have for you guys regarding sampling blues music for a hip hop project. I was wondering with some of these older recording is I should just learn the riff or the bassline that I am looking for and play it myself on a guitar or piano. Seems though like that would be even more of a copyright risk than taking a pure sample anyways. Oh well, I doubt I will be selling tens of thousands of records anyways :D
HipHopBlues
Regular

Return to Guitar Tabs