Replacement Tuners?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Replacement Tuners?

Postby Rick-e » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:04 pm

Has anyone replaced the tuners on a chinese made resonator guitar. If so which ones did you use, and did you have any issues?
I'm thinking of getting either the national, or golden age tuners for my Republic tricone.
Rick-e
Regular

Re: Replacement Tuners?

Postby allanlummox » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:08 pm

I have, with Grovers on a paddle headstock and with Deluxe (Kluson copies) on a guitar with a slotted headstock.

Easy operation.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:24 am

I haven't had any problems with any of my Chinese tuners.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:49 am

Unless you're having issues with them holding tune, why change em?

Does the guitar have a slotted headstock or a regular flat one?

If it has a flat one, I would recommend these.

http://www.ellisguitars.com.au/grover_a ... hines.html

The StaTite tuners are phenomenal. I have them on my Harmony Archtop (they came with it when I bought it) and I swear, it never goes out of tune. I've maybe tuned it a handful of times in the last couple months. I change tunings on my archtop quite frequently and never have any issues. They are great tuners. Plus, they look cool.

EDIT: After looking through that page more closely, those StaTites also come in slotted headstock form.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Rick-e » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:09 am

No problems with the original tuners, except they are bright and shiny....not matcing the reso "relic" finish. Yeah, I know, it doesn't make it sound better, but let's face it, the astetics or 'mojo' a guitar has can inspire to play 'mo-bettah'

I'm going to go with the period-looking tuners, probably the golden age tuners. Oh yeah, slotted headstock.( Republic resorelic tricone.)
Rick-e
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:07 am

Use the search bar at the top to look for "relic'ing" and see what comes up. I remember a ways back, some folks were talking about ways to "age" the metal on the resos. IIRC, it was pretty simple to do and could be done with some household chemicals. James Ferrel did it to some of his resos.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Rick-e » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:06 pm

Thanks for the reply Lefty, but I guess I'm not expressing myself well. The guitar is a republic reso-relic...already has the "aging " done to the body. The tuners look cheap and out of place on the guitar. I'm going to replace them but I wondered if anyone has used the national replacement tuners or the golden age tuners from Stew-Mac.

btw did ya ever end up dragging your strat behind yer car? :wink:
Rick-e
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:54 pm

I understand. I was just saying that it's possible to age the tuners if you wanted to keep them.

And no, I didn't drag it behind my car. True story though. My first girlfriend had this old electric guitar. It was a Kramer laminated solid body that kinda looked like a strat, and it was hot pink. It had a Squier Bullet neck on it from the 80's and one pickup. The wiring didn't work. She left it at my house one time, and it just stayed there in my closet. Well we broke up and stopped talking, so I had this ugly ass guitar just sitting there. My buddy Shawn and I tied it up behind my S-10 and drove it down a dirt road. The body was so trashed. It was already worthless. The routing for the pickups was crooked and too big to fit single coils in, the neck pocket was cracked in 4 places, and several parts of the laminate wood were separating from eachother. It looked pretty bad when we were done.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Rick-e » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:47 pm

leftyguitarman wrote: My buddy Shawn and I tied it up behind my S-10 and drove it down a dirt road. The body was so trashed. It was already worthless. The routing for the pickups was crooked and too big to fit single coils in, the neck pocket was cracked in 4 places, and several parts of the laminate wood were separating from eachother. It looked pretty bad when we were done.

LOL that's taking Pet Townsend and Jimi Hendrix to a new level :twisted:
Rick-e
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:01 pm

Golden age tuners are cheaper than the nationals. Look a bit more plain. I have two sets of the Stew macs and a set of the nationals. They both work fine, same quality. Nationals are somewhat engraved and have a different shaped housing.

Golden age ones wont age with FeCl as they are not plated but plain steel. I did a process to one set though that gave them an aged brass look to match my aged brass resolian, came out cool.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby oldbluesdude » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:27 am

Rick-e wrote:Thanks for the reply Lefty, but I guess I'm not expressing myself well. The guitar is a republic reso-relic...already has the "aging " done to the body. The tuners look cheap and out of place on the guitar. I'm going to replace them but I wondered if anyone has used the national replacement tuners or the golden age tuners from Stew-Mac.

btw did ya ever end up dragging your strat behind yer car? :wink:

I have the Golden age tuners on my old Duolian,they really work well
there not reliced I think? but they certainly aren't shinny,

OBD

http://www.myspace.com/kevinkennyacousticbluesduo
oldbluesdude
Regular

Postby Rick-e » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:03 am

I just ordered the golden age slot head models from elderly (stew-mac was backordered 1+months) I also ordered the lace thin line humbucker :mrgreen:
Rick-e
Regular

Results !

Postby Rick-e » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:44 am

Here is the before pic, modern looking enclosed tuners that came on my reso-relic tricone..just looked a little out of place to me. Most folks wouldn't even notice.

Here's the after pic. Stew Mac Golden age 3 on a plate with ivory colored buttons..looks a little more appropriate.

Rick-e
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:41 am

Your "before" tuners are like the ones I used to upgrade the tuners on one of my guitars, a Regal.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lpdeluxe » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:22 pm

I really like the newer slot-head Sta-Tites. I put a set on my '30s Regal reso and liked them so well I put another set on my '84 OMI Dobro. They are as good as you can get without spending Waverly-level bucks.

I still don't understand the attraction of slot-heads, though. They're a pain to restring, and surely they were more costly to manufacture than just drilling six holes in the solid peghead.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar