different brands, same chinese factory

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

different brands, same chinese factory

Postby Gambet » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:59 pm

different brands, same chinese factory, do you want to start your own guitar business, with your own logo on headstock, put some little investment(not much because we in china are among the cheapest workers in the world), and just order more then 25 pieces and you are in the game, good luck :wha:
ImageImageImage
Gambet
Regular

Re: different brands, same chinese factory

Postby Lawson » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:28 pm

What brand is the guitar on the bottom right?
Lawson
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:38 pm

What brand do you want it to be?
ricochet
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:49 pm

It's called globalisation mates.
The up side is that now most people can afford a good guitar just like they can afford a good car or TV.
The downside is that every so called free 'market' good you purchase puts you and your country further in debt.
Just like the buddha said "There must be a middle road" in our case between state control for the good of the people and free marketeering for the good of the greedies.
Borak and the boys are really going to have to work that one out soon! :roll: :? :oops:
ricochet wrote:What brand do you want it to be?
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Gambet » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:44 pm

Lawson wrote:What brand is the guitar on the bottom right?

it's Aye Parlor Resonator:http://ayeguitars.com/parlor_resonator.html, do you want to be Lawson Parlor Resonator? 8)
Gambet
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:45 pm

Absolutely amazing! Never heard of them efore but to my eyes they look better than Republics.

Gambet wrote:

it's Aye Parlor Resonator:http://ayeguitars.com/parlor_resonator.html, do you want to be Lawson Parlor Resonator? 8)
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Gambet » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:11 pm

ooo, you want Republic which looks like Aye on that picture, no problem:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaVxR2awVo
STOP EXPLOITING WORKERS!!!
Gambet
Regular

Postby jpfeiff » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:20 pm

Gambet wrote:

It doesn't appear on that website that there is any way to order one of these, or any prices, or dealer listings.....

As far as exploiting workers, I don't want to open a huge political discussion here or sound naive, but are the working conditions in Chinese guitar factories known to be abusive/exploitative? Obviously, workers are paid less there than they would be in the USA, but some of this is due to different costs and standards of living in the respective economies, is it not? BTW, I don't believe I own any Chinese-built instruments myself...all USA, Germany, or Japan. Oh yeah--one Mexico, too.
Last edited by jpfeiff on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpfeiff
Regular

Postby Gambet » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:36 pm

maybe it's time for radical changes all around the world...
Gambet
Regular

Postby robertleagh » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:34 am

Some Chinese goods are garbage. Some are OK. Some workers in China might be happy to have their job. Some Chinese guitars are garbage. I've played some that are good. Certainly, I prefer an aged wood '60s Martin. Can I afford one? No. Can I buy a Chinese made Reso, and tweak it so I can get on stage and make that baby ring? Bet I can. Obviously a garbage guitar will always be just that. A copy of a beautiful classic 1930's USA guitar? Maybe I can adjust what needs to be adjusted. Can I buy fair trade coffee for $10 a lb. Nope. I buy the cheap stuff. Can I put an instrument in my hand, don't care where it's made, and rip the real blues out of that baby. Oh yea, I can. Robert Lee
robertleagh
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:26 am

Mass producion, globalisation, progress whatever. All American inventions.
I went to a wine tasting last week and the company sponsering the evening explained how for economy of scale at least 6 different wineries used the same factory for physically making and bottling the harvest but had there wine maker supervising which is what was needed to produce each distinctive wine. These days guitars are made the same way.
The people making them are he same but quality, tone, finish etc etc are supervised by the producer hence two brands of guitars can look the same but sound very differently.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby robertleagh » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:09 am

Those men we got our music from bought steel resonators because thats what they could afford.In the 30's they stamped them out. I've been listening to Muddy all night long,and I'm heading down to the club and find myself some cheap little sweetheart,and bring her back here to my motorhome, cause thats all I got. And I know I'll make her happy. Just Like Muddy would have! Robert Lee
robertleagh
Regular

Postby Rick-e » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:25 am

Not sure how this thread became a "trade balance" issue.. but for what it's worth, my "serious" guitars are American made. I have a couple of Martins, a 10 year old HD-28, and a 70's D18, as well as an american made Strat, 1990 I think. I also have and enjoy a Republic tricone and a Blueridge BR-183, which is a 000 size rosewood with lots of abalone inlay. These Chinese guitars are fine instruments that I woulld not be able to afford if all that was available were there American made counterparts. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that the Asian instruments give me options to own other guitars that I wouldn't normaly have.

I'll get off my soapbox now :oops:
Rick-e
Regular

Postby wanderingyankee » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:13 pm

There are several well made resonators that come out of the same factory in China.
You can find a wide range of choices suitable for the beginner to the touring professional….all for $550 to $800 USD. Single cones, tricones, 12 frets, 14 frets, steel, brass, wood. You name it. It’s available.

The best known is Republic out of Texas. http://www.republicguitars.com/
They in turn have a UK distribution/licensing deal with a company called Busker. http://www.buskerguitars.co.uk/ Basically, Busker puts their own badge on Republic designs and sells them outside the US. In addition, there is Harlem Slim in Houston. He also sells Republic design basically without a badge or brand. http://www.deltabluesguitar.com/universal/

The most intriguing guitars coming out the very same Chinese factory are the Michael Messer guitars (MM Guitars). There is the brass body/chrome plated MM Lightning and the steel MM Blues. These are a unique design with a more shallow body depth and cut f-holes rather than rolled. The makes for different feel and sounding guitars than any of the Republic designs. These MM guitars were design by Michael and are distributed through Busker. There is some speculation that the Busker/Republic distro deal is nearing an end and may not be renewed. Republic guitars have recently turned up in select UK retailers. Perhaps this means Busker will begin creating more new designs independent of Republic?

Anyway, the story as I have heard through the grapevine in bits and pieces goes something like this (If anyone knows better please correct me if I am wrong here)

2 or 3 years ago a guy from Texas named Frank Helsley that had been involved with resonators for 35 years decides to manufacture quality designed resonators at an affordable price. The vintage prices are climbing to $3,000 and above, NRP is pumping out beautiful instruments from $1,550 to $5,000. The sub $1,000 resonators on the market (Regal for example) are poorly designed and constructed. Like any good businessman, he sees an opportunity.

Using his 35 years of repairing and playing vintage Nationals, he creates a design combining the best of the old designs (neck stick construction, thin spun cones, classic body designs, slotted headstock) along with contemporary features like a truss road.

Again, thinking like a good businessman, he seeks a manufacturer that can execute his design optimising quality and cost. Ofcourse like most other well known consumer companies (Nike, Motorola, etc..) he finds the best options are in China.

Republic Guitars is born. The rest is history. And the best is yet to come.

I personally would like to meet Frank one day and thank him for what he has done.
No only for the Republic line of guitars but also for establishing a market that can hopefully continuing growing and offering a broader and more interesting rage of guitars for people like me. It’s now possible to have 3 or 4 quality resonator guitars for the price of one NRP. Five years ago, if you wanted a decent reso the only option you had was to spend at least $1,500 USD. Frank has changed all that and deserves a big kudos from all of us.

I personally intend to have a few more of these Chinese resos (probably a MM Lightning is next or a Republic Miniolian) for gigs and aspire to having one or two vintage Nationals to play at home and record with.

Thank you Frank!!
wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby Gambet » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:02 pm

come on, frank didn't design anything, because all is already designed, what he did is just pure business move and nothing more, me or anybody else can do the same, make a contract with some poor chinese and paid them less so you can have more, and more, and more...and just like i said, it's all about money, pure business, and not music passion, do you think that frank care about you or me, do you think he did what he did so we can be happy and have guitars for more affordable price, i don't think so, it's all about about money and how to be proud republican businessman...iiihaaa :lol:
methinks...we can do it! :wink:
Gambet
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar