Key of E

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Re: Key of E

Postby Slim Pim » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:55 pm

I don't use E that very often. I must say that A is the perfect key... middle of the neck and you got lots of positions to use, both for soloing and harmonizing chords up and down the neck from there. I agree with Tina. from G up to C It's just moving your hand (and boxes) F is a bit of PITA sinc it's quite heave string bending in that first position and when you're up one octave in F you're more in a Johnny Winter squealing fast lick style.
But Eb must be the worst ever key to play anything on guitar, no matter what kind of music you're playing.
Anyone like the key of Eb? anyone?
Slim Pim
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:22 pm

I'll play in any key you like, but everybody I know just sticks to the same old, same old. Odd, when you consider that most of us can go through whole numbers, sets even, without using an open string.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby harpdude » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Slim Pim wrote:F is a bit of PITA sinc it's quite heave string bending in that first position and when you're up one octave in F you're more in a Johnny Winter squealing fast lick style.

I usually slide up a fret and back(for a half bend) or a couple frets and back(for a whole bend), instead of bending whenever playing in F,F#, and sometimes G first position. Got it now so that it sounds like a bend.
harpdude
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:53 pm

Eb --Srv, Hendrix, kenny wayne sheppard, Lightnin Hopkins--just tune down 1/2 step
goldbrick
Regular

Postby sawgrass » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:41 am

Bono with U2 described this key in this way. "When "Edge" hits the E chord, it's bright red!" Of course, those who frequent this forum like it as a 7th rather than a major. Personally, I like the "Hendricks E7" up on frets 6 and 7 in standard tuning. It's dissonance just rings out and it wants to resolve by walking into the 4 and 5 chords. Kinda like us, when dissonance gives us the blues in life, we try to straighten it out. (the resonator and glass slide really help here!)

Keep on slidin'
sawgrass
Regular

Previous

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!