Key of E

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Key of E

Postby grumpygroo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:55 am

Not much of a revelation really, but it suddenly occurred to me why so much blues is played in E. Open bass strings.

Funny feeling, aint it, when that light bulb suddenly goes on. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
grumpygroo
Regular

Re: Key of E

Postby boogiechillun85 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:54 pm

Well yeah, but those top two strings make it pretty easy too. 8)

Hell, I do a lot in E just because I like doing that little hammeron bit on the third string.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grumpygroo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:57 pm

boogiechillun85 wrote:I do a lot in E just because I like doing that little hammeron bit on the third string.

Isn't it great. Blues always lies somewhere between minor and major and that little hammeron from Eminor to Emajor catches it perfectly, especially if you throw a 7th in a note or two after it.
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:22 am

E also has potential for a nifty alternating bass, as heard in Mississippi John Hurt's Sliding Delta.
But don't neglect the other keys, apart from Bb, you can pretty much forget that one!
This post has been brought to you by the letter E and the number 7 :wink:
stumblin
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:31 pm

That's why I like the key of "A"........All open strings for 1-4-5
tinsmith
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Greatest song of all time Johnny B Goode is in Bflat
goldbrick
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:30 pm

I was being facetious, sorry.
stumblin
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:19 pm

....well uh I play it in A - as Steve Cropper said-its simplest to follow the dots
goldbrick
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:20 pm

A lot of the choices people make regarding key are probably linked to their vocal range, as well as the fingering positions each key makes available. Yes, the dots are in the wrong place with the capo on fret 1, that's one reason why I don't tend to play in Bb or F.
stumblin
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:30 am

stumblin wrote:...the dots are in the wrong place with the capo on fret 1...

Yeah, man, If you don't use the dots right your guitar neck will get all confused and you might have to go to a luthier who doubles as a root doctor to get everything recopaceticated.

Someyimes I don't know just exactly what key am I playing, but sometimes if anybody hears me playing they might probably say "EEEEEEEEE!" or "Ay" or maybe "F that" or rarely "Gee" but NEVER do they say "OH!" so I guess there isn't any Key of O.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:41 am

When they say "D'oh!," you can jump right in with "...a deer, a female deer..." in your best Julie Andrews voice.
ricochet
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:26 pm

I do play in E almost all the time. Sometimes when I'm performing in public and my voice range is tight that day I will put a capo on the 2nd or 3rd fret and use the same fingering as for E without a capo. On the rare occasions when I play hillbilly acoustic stuff like Man of Constant Sorrow then I play in C. On the even rarer occasions when I do Stormy Monday then I play in A, fingering mostly around the middle of the neck. When I play to accompany congregational singing at Prayer Temple Outreach Church of God in Christ, then I am all over the neck trying to figure out what key the leader has started singing in. No time for messing with a capo then, instead I use the left hand index finger like a capo to bar the chords and must do all the fingering with the remaining fingers. Not complaining, It is all good, It is all fun.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby Bournio » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:17 pm

LesFromChicago wrote:..... No time for messing with a capo then, instead I use the left hand index finger like a capo to bar the chords and must do all the fingering with the remaining fingers. Not complaining, It is all good, It is all fun.

I enjoy the index capo... the finger stretches are great practice!
Bournio
Regular

Postby Little Tina » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:16 am

I seem to drive guys in the band crazy contstantly insisting on a key change, depending how my singing voice is. But I really cannot see why it should be a big deal, be it in A or Bb (even if it was in G the last time). Just move your left hand a few frets up or down, right?
For a singer it is not always that easy.
BTW, I actually dislike playing in E. Rather in G, A, Bb, B or C. Don't like D either.
Little Tina
Regular

Postby jaybee » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:32 pm

Little Tina wrote:I seem to drive guys in the band crazy contstantly insisting on a key change, depending how my singing voice is. But I really cannot see why it should be a big deal, be it in A or Bb (even if it was in G the last time). Just move your left hand a few frets up or down, right?
For a singer it is not always that easy.
BTW, I actually dislike playing in E. Rather in G, A, Bb, B or C. Don't like D either.

well... yes and no, it can depend on different things:

the number - is there a signature riff? And more important, can it be transposed without sounding like a Mickey Mouse version?

other instruments:
sax - if you're playing with a sax player, you'll be doing a LOT of F and Bb numbers 8)

harp - most harpers I know don't like Bb or F (mental note - do NOT have a sax player and a harper in the same band ;) )

so - do you HAVE to stick to one key? NO, I do a couple of songs that I usually like to play in Bb, in A if I jam with a harp player - don't even feel much difference

but sometimes YES - in a band setting it's more comfortable to KNOW the next song is in G, instead of having to ask the singer every time...
jaybee
Regular

Next

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!