Republic Resolian

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Republic Resolian

Postby Zheek » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:44 pm

when i opened my parlor size Republic Resolian, carefully remove cover plate and cone so i can clean it and check all inside, i noticed shims between neck stick and body(both damaged with screws!), i don't think that should be any shims between neck stick and body. And there are two mushrooms, where exactly should be positioned, one on the front end of sound hole and the other one somewhere in the center of sound hole, ist this correct? I also noticed that the neck stick don't go all through to the tail piece, there is a gap between so the screw of the tail piece(and strap button) are not going into the neck stick(just like i saw on the other resonators), the screw of strap button going through small piece of wood, and also between that piece of wood and the neck stick still remains gap(about 2cm). Than i remove screws of the shims and glued pieces of damaged shims, i move mushrooms a little, one exactly under the first shim(begining of the sound hole) any and the other exactly in the center of the sound hole, but before that i removed mushrooms one by one and put some glue just to fill little holes and reinforce them, but when i remove the other mushroom i forgot to put screw back before and than the neck stick do i little collapse but i fast put mushroom back. On the end i put all together, i put string on by this order 3 & 4, 1 & 6, 2 & 5.This morning i check the neck i didn't see any changes(example warped, twisted neck), in your opinion did i make some damage, or there is some future possible damage that i should be worried about, and tell me please how you check the neck or some other possible damage on resonators. I didn't expect to see any shims(specially damaged with screws) and the neck stick that don't go all trough the tail piece(the screw of the tail piece should go into the neck stick, correct me if i'm wrong). Republic guitars and Busker, are made in the same little shop in China, so anybody knows construction deferences between parlor size guitars, Republic and Busker(for example:neck stick, tailpiece block)? I have some experience in guitar setups ( i have 5 guitars and all are perfectly setup by me) but my setup experience is limited on electric and standard acoustic guitars, so i don't have experience with the neck sticks, tailpiece blocks, steel body etc...
So guys can you please share your experinces and knowledge with me and the others who also need some advices.
Thanx & God Bless<><
Zheek
No F'ing Around!

Re: Republic Resolian

Postby ricochet » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Shims are fine. They just need to fit tightly. Takes a great deal of hand fitting to make the sticks fit without shims. If yours don't fit tightly, make some that do.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Zheek » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:01 pm

thanx man, and what about the tailpiece block, i was thinking to make new one a little bigger to fill gap between the block and neck stick, and maybe in that way get more stability for the neck and the body, and the mushrooms could be better, also maybe to make and new mushrooms. but i'm not sure how will affect on tone if i make new block that fill gap.
Zheek
No F'ing Around!

Postby ricochet » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Yep, the block (which is a shim) needs to fill that gap tightly. Make a new one.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Zheek » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:18 pm

I ask Frank Helsley from Republic Guitars about that gap between the tailpiece block and the neck stick, and here is what he said about it in email: "National's are built exactly the same, with shims between the neck stick and the body of the guitar. They are also built with a gap. The neck stick never runs thru to the end pin. I know, as I have been playing and working on resonator guitars for 35 years. I also do work for customers on vintage National guitars, so I am very familiar with the way they are built."
P.S. i also ask MIichael Messer about gap and his answer was very similar: "The neck stick should not touch the tail block. The tailblock in a real National is bigger, but still does not touch the stick. there is always a small gap. The tail block could be a better piece of wood than what is fitted in your guitar, but it does not affect the tone." So what to do now???
Zheek
No F'ing Around!

Postby ricochet » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:51 pm

I can't think of a good reason why the neck stick shouldn't touch the tail block. I've got mine shimmed tightly on my Johnson. But if he says leave a gap, leave it alone. He's probably right about it not affecting the tone.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Zheek » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:09 pm

i also don't see any reason why the neck stick shouldn't touch the tail block, but i will find out because i'm very curious person who always search for some more knowledge in all aspects of life. I also want to ask what do you think about puting bone saddle on resonator, i know for acoustic guitars(i got it on my 12 string guitar) but i'm not sure for resonators...
Zheek
No F'ing Around!

Postby ricochet » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:57 am

Try it and see what you think.
ricochet
Regular

Postby slickcat » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:30 am

My Rogue Biscuit reso was the same way. It had a tiny little end block and there was a gap between the neck stick and tail block about 1/2".
I glued a shim between the neck stick and tail block. It didnt make any difference in tone as far as I could tell. :blink:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar