Live Chat?

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

Live Chat?

Postby Lawson » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:27 pm

Does anyone think this might be a good idea, everyone chatting together live.
Could make for some interesting conversation.
Lawson
Regular

Re: Live Chat?

Postby ricochet » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:01 pm

I hate live chat. I'm on a bunch of boards that offer it and stay away from it. Usually the little indicator shows one person in the chatroom, so apparently others on those boards tend to agree.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Lawson » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm new to forums, but I just thought it could be good. However I have no experience with it.
Lawson
Regular

Postby Slim » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:18 pm

I have been on a couple boards where it was realy cool. But most of the board were also friends in real life which seems to make a difference as sometime strictly internet acquintences sometimes get in little cyber spats and this is really apparent when you have chat. Not saying it would happen here but you never know. I would like it at times because of the back and forth banter it would afford about music that sometimes doesnt come across when posting to the board.
Slim
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:47 pm

the best live chat situation online I've seen is Second Life...although Charlie O is the only cat from here I've run into there. People there tend to be polite and friendly.

I'll be playing a live show there in 2 hours, in fact!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:12 am

No, I don't mean I hate live conversation. I just hate Internet chat, the method. It totally sucks to have a message pop up on your screen and get more from other people while you're typing an answer to the first. It's hard to keep up when you're chatting with just one other person, let alone a "roomful." And it's too urgent and intrusive. You can't think over what you're going to say for long. You can't do something else and come back and answer like you can on a message board. Takes too much attention. (Texting totally sucks, too.)

So put up your chat room if you like. I just won't be in it.
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:43 am

SL does have all the downsides that Ric points out...but LIVE ME too.

Actually, that's all I got.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:21 pm

Live chat is okay if it's with a couple people (like 4 tops). Any more than that and it gets so cluttered with different messages. It's hard to tell who is saying what to whom and it makes for a mess. If it was put on here, I doubt I would use it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions