First H2 recording Kind-Hearted Woman

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

First H2 recording Kind-Hearted Woman

Postby jpfeiff » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:06 pm

jpfeiff
Regular

Re: First H2 recording Kind-Hearted Woman

Postby zhyla » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:07 am

I don't know hat an H2 is but sounds good.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby jeffl » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:16 pm

Jim, that sounds good! Nice fingers too, me bucko. Those H2s are pretty incredible, especially for their size. One of the guys at our jam has been recording our sessions with one. It's amazing how good the recordings are (after he takes 'em home and re-mixes 'em and cleans out the background noise,lol!). I like your style Jim.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jpfeiff » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:29 pm

zhyla wrote:I don't know hat an H2 is but sounds good.

I should've been more specific! I was referring to the Zoom H2 portable recorder--real handy little device!
jpfeiff
Regular

Postby jpfeiff » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:32 pm

jeffl wrote:Jim, that sounds good! Nice fingers too, me bucko. Those H2s are pretty incredible, especially for their size. One of the guys at our jam has been recording our sessions with one. It's amazing how good the recordings are (after he takes 'em home and re-mixes 'em and cleans out the background noise,lol!). I like your style Jim.

Thanks Jeff. In the past I've usually "cheated" by recording the guitar first, then overdubbing vocals on y computer. With the H2 I'm gonna try some old-fashioned "live" takes--no overdubs. Makes you have to polish the song a bit!
jpfeiff
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:39 pm

I've had an H2 for about 8 months now, I love it! Best music money I ever spent.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:50 pm

jpfeiff wrote:
jeffl wrote:Jim, that sounds good! Nice fingers too, me bucko. Those H2s are pretty incredible, especially for their size. One of the guys at our jam has been recording our sessions with one. It's amazing how good the recordings are (after he takes 'em home and re-mixes 'em and cleans out the background noise,lol!). I like your style Jim.

Thanks Jeff. In the past I've usually "cheated" by recording the guitar first, then overdubbing vocals on y computer. With the H2 I'm gonna try some old-fashioned "live" takes--no overdubs. Makes you have to polish the song a bit!
"live" recording definitely gets you outa your comfort zone, and builds skills for giggin', no doubt. I wuz watchin' some old country entertainer on Cable TV talkin' about a CD he just finished, doin' the whole band thing live. He did mention that he used nothin' but veteran musicians on it who were capable of learnin' tunes quickly and performing them well all at the same time. My observation is (and I'm no studio pro) that alotta bands today who do their own recordings do not realize that there is a difference between making a saleable CD and "doing a recording". Too many basement produced CDs sound like recordings of a live performance, with no augmentation of any sort... so they sound barren. Bands are tougher to do than solo performers.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tcanova » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:37 pm

That sounds great! The playing, singing and recording all top notch on my end! Great stuff.
tcanova
Regular

Postby jpfeiff » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:14 am

tcanova wrote:That sounds great! The playing, singing and recording all top notch on my end! Great stuff.

Thanks for listening, man. I hope to record a few more soon.
jpfeiff
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Great!! One of my very favorite tunes! Great personality on the vocals, not a Robert copy. Slippery guitar, man!! How did you set your H2? Limiter? 2 or 4 mikes? Position? Room size? Your recording sounds great, the vocals not in your face, clear guitar, a little ambience. Pro.
Old Stella
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Wow Jim, That's a great sound you have and your reso sounds good too.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby jpfeiff » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:13 pm

Old Stella wrote:Great!! One of my very favorite tunes! Great personality on the vocals, not a Robert copy. Slippery guitar, man!! How did you set your H2? Limiter? 2 or 4 mikes? Position? Room size? Your recording sounds great, the vocals not in your face, clear guitar, a little ambience. Pro.

Thanks....let's see, I can't remember exactly how I had things set up. Definitely just the front mics. Had the auto-gain setting in the middle. As I recall, I just set the thing on my desk and sat about 1-2 feet away and played and sang. It was upstairs in the loft above my big, open-floor plan living room/kitchen, so certainly not a "dead" space and intentional sound treatment whatsoever.
jpfeiff
Regular

Postby jpfeiff » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:15 pm

Derekslide wrote:Wow Jim, That's a great sound you have and your reso sounds good too.

Thanks Derek,

I DO own a reso, but play it rarely and am thinking I should sell it. This particular recording was with an old small-bodied Gibson that I have--an L-00.
jpfeiff
Regular

Postby Nicodemus » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:04 am

God that sounds great. Some players on this board!

you have a great tone and your phrasing and time are straight on fantastic. You have a nice blues voice, too. You're the real deal. You play out, right?

Very tasty stuff here boss.

What year is that guitar your playing? Is it a real vintage instrument or one of the newer remakes? It sounds really fantastic. I use Audacity as well but I have zero idea what I'm doing with it. I just record straight into my PC using the stupid webcam mic, which is lame. I need a condensor mic to go into my board and then into my PC/Audacity like you do. Then I need to learn how to use Audacity so I can record in something other than just live to stereo and down to MP3 from there. Lots of pressure to do vocals and guitar all at once w/no overdubs or anything and get a good take. Especially when you're as caffeinated as I usually am.
Nicodemus
Regular

Postby jpfeiff » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:12 pm

Nicodemus wrote:God that sounds great. Some players on this board!

you have a great tone and your phrasing and time are straight on fantastic. You have a nice blues voice, too. You're the real deal. You play out, right?

Very tasty stuff here boss.

What year is that guitar your playing? Is it a real vintage instrument or one of the newer remakes? It sounds really fantastic. I use Audacity as well but I have zero idea what I'm doing with it. I just record straight into my PC using the stupid webcam mic, which is lame. I need a condensor mic to go into my board and then into my PC/Audacity like you do. Then I need to learn how to use Audacity so I can record in something other than just live to stereo and down to MP3 from there. Lots of pressure to do vocals and guitar all at once w/no overdubs or anything and get a good take. Especially when you're as caffeinated as I usually am.

Thanks, man. Yes, I do play out some. Not as much as I'd like, but it's fun when I can make time for it. Yes, the guitar is a vintage 1934 L-00. She's a bit beat up but sounds and plays great. Intonation is a bit off as you go up the neck, so I mostly stay down in first position with her. Here's a couple of pix:

jpfeiff
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar