Broken down car = not a happy sloth

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Broken down car = not a happy sloth

Postby sloth » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:42 pm

Well our car broke down, and that was currently our only car. Blown head gasket...costs more then the car to fix it.

All of this right before Christmas too and we have to drive to my parent's house wayyyy up North by the Mackinac Bridge on Thursday night.

What is a boy to do? I guess we get to shop for a car now. I may be selling some things that I am not using though.

lol Anyone looking for some mint condition Dano pedals or possibly a Bass?

Oh well.
sloth
Regular

RE: Broken down car = not a happy sloth

Postby bosco » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:22 pm

That's a bummer Nick, first time I've ever seen a vehicle listed in "Equipment Blues," but that certainly qualifies. And the timing...right before the holiday. I just lost my best friend and that won't brighten my holiday either.

Head gaskets aren't that tough to replace. If it cost more than the car, either you don't have an honest mechanic or you didn't pay much for the car. Maybe both.

I'm right over here in Battle Creek. If I had an extra vehicle I'd help you out brother! Keep your chin up, it's only a temporary setback.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:39 pm

A head gasket's not expensive, but on a lot of cars it's a BIG job to replace it. Labor charges can run pretty high.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby sloth » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:34 pm

You need wheels to get to a gig, music store, or bar brother...definitely a required piece of equipment :)

Battle Creek? I'm right in Grand Rapids. Sorry about your best friend. That is pure blues right there. Dwarfs my situation considerably.

We are talking about a 95 Dodge Neon here. lol My girl bought it for about $1000. We are going to give it to my future father in law while he locates an engine in one of Detroit's many junk yards.

I'll be mobile again soon. God help you all.
sloth
Regular

Postby bluejay » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:48 pm

Had that happen to a '65 Fairlane 500 one summer back in college. I was lucky though; a pal of mine was a car nut with his own tools. We went to the auto parts store, I paid for the new gasket, and he did the whole job in my parents' driveway in under a couple hours. Thank goodness it was a nice sunny day. I just stood back and watched because I have very limited mechanical ability. This guy went on to be a mechanic at a high-end foreign car dealer in Shaker Heights, which earned him enough to pay for his engineering degree at Michigan Tech.

BTW, sloth, this took place just up the road from you in Big Rapids long about 1972. I know that drive up north, having made it many times from the L.P. across the Bridge to the U.P. Good luck on the road.
bluejay
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:06 pm

I had to have a Head Gasket put in a Ford once.
Ric is right,,,it's the Labor that gets you.
Chances are,,,if you blew a Head Gasket,,those Aluminum heads on that motor are now warped from the heat.

You'll have to replace those too.

Things like this always happen at Christmas time.

I just spent $600.00 on my car and $600.00 on one of my Dogs so,,I definitely feel your pain.

Hope things work out for ya soon.
grady
Regular

Postby savage » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:18 pm

aye carumba... yes the auto-incidents... theyre a doozy. Hope it works out OK for ya sloth.
savage
Regular

Postby trguitar » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:27 am

Bummer Sloth, sorry to hear. My daughters boyfriend drives a Neon, 2003 I think. Red with those Red Baron iron cross decals on it. a piece of art for sure. LMAO Hope you replace her with something nice, the new blues mobile!
trguitar
Regular

Postby sloth » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:06 am

Maybe I should get an ol black and white crown vic.
sloth
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:41 am

OUCH that hurts... hope you get new wheels fast man

I'm taking mine to the mechanic on Monday - annual maintenance for technical control (do they have that in US?) I hope it passes without major surgery, it IS 12 years / 160.000km.

Won't bother to have the broken lock (some #### tried to get in with a screwdriver) on the left and the broken down window opener (good thing window was closed)on the right though - don't have the spare $$$ and it won't make it run better, so...
jaybee
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:13 pm

>You need wheels to get to a gig, music store, or bar
>brother...definitely a required piece of equipment :)
>
>Battle Creek? I'm right in Grand Rapids. Sorry about your
>best friend. That is pure blues right there. Dwarfs my
>situation considerably.
>
>We are talking about a 95 Dodge Neon here. lol My girl
>bought it for about $1000. We are going to give it to my
>future father in law while he locates an engine in one of
>Detroit's many junk yards.
>
>I'll be mobile again soon. God help you all.

Just a query, I've been faced with mechanicals in the past, given the expense of fixing it, would you be better off getting another car and selling the remains of this one? I've thrown thousands at vehicles I should realistically have walked away from over the years.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sloth » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:18 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-05 AT 08:19 AM (EST)]We arent fixing that one right now. I am going to have to finance a new or used one, and the old one is going to eventually get fixed up by my mechanic father in law who will eventually give it back so that we will have a couple cars between the two of us. No use in throwing it away if he can actually fix it for cheaper.
sloth
Regular

Postby roy bluesboy » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:43 pm

>Well our car broke down, and that was currently our only
>car. Blown head gasket...costs more then the car to fix it.
>
>All of this right before Christmas too and we have to drive
>to my parent's house wayyyy up North by the Mackinac Bridge
>on Thursday night.
>
>What is a boy to do? I guess we get to shop for a car now. I
>may be selling some things that I am not using though.
>
>lol Anyone looking for some mint condition Dano pedals or
>possibly a Bass?
>
>Oh well.
Hey sloth, sorry to hear about your wheels. and yeah, labor on a neon head gasket job is high - neons are known for cracking/blowing heads. (im an partner at a used car lot). Go online & find an item called steel seal. It isnt cheap (70-90 bucks maybe) but it works excellent. I had a customer blow a head gasket once & we used that stuff in it. it never leaked again & he paid the car off a year & 1/2 later. Involves r&r thermostat & anti-freeze. It would probably make it a reliable 2nd car or at least help you run it through an auction for top dollar.Your estimate is EXTREMELY high though. Get that same job done here down south for $550. Good luck, Roy BB
roy bluesboy
Regular

Postby blues power » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:24 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-05 AT 09:29 AM (EST)]that suc*s. i been there. to bad you need to buy another car for a lousy $20 gasket.

When I blew a head gasket back in 1987 on my 1970 Mustang Mach 1 they all told me to junk the car. I told myself that since the car is junk already i might as well spend the money for a gasket set and try to do it myself.
I couldnt make it any worse since theyd have to take it away with a hook wheater i fixed it or not. so i had nothing to lose. I did have 2 smoke filled semesters of high school auto mechanics under my belt.

Low and behold in the course of a weekend I fixed it and its running like a dream and worth about $20,000 these days.

now if that car can talk my wife would divorce me in a heartbeat.

granted those old beasts are easy to fix in comparison with todays cars. if it happened to my Honda acord i wouldnt even be able to find the engine under all that smog crap.
blues power
Regular

Postby nizer » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:57 pm

>All of this right before Christmas too and we have to drive
>to my parent's house wayyyy up North by the Mackinac Bridge

Did you make the trip Sloth? How did it go? Driving up in Mackinac in the winter can get pretty hairy. There was a lot of snow a few hundred miles southeast of there yesterday.
nizer
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues