76 Keys?

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

76 Keys?

Postby sonhouse101 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:39 pm

I've looked at lots and lots of blues and boogie woogie music and it seems to be that a 76 key instrument would be able to play everything in the blues/boogie repertoire; however, on this board, nearly every player recommends 88 keys. Am I missing something?
sonhouse101
Regular

Re: 76 Keys?

Postby ricochet » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:09 am

12 keys?
ricochet
Regular

Re: 76 Keys?

Postby jeffl » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:25 pm

You can play jus' about everything you'd want to with 76 keys. Boogie Woogie, however, is distinctly a genre where you may "tinkle" on the highest keys more often than with rock or blues, for example. There are other factors that help determine how many keys you want on your board: a). the more keys, the heavier and longer the board, so if you are gonna play out, shorter boards can be more convenient. b). what stage are you at in your playing..? If you are going to gig and attempt to become a highly accomplished player, ultimately you will almost certainly want to use a 88-key stage piano. c). a 76-key board has just slight limitations; can you accept playing your high fills a half octave to octave lower...? I'd recommend trying out both size boards, and screwing around with the highest notes on both, just to see what your own impressions are. (I have a 88-key and a 61-key.)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard