New tune I writ

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

New tune I writ

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:21 am

Wroted it myself. Love the vibe of this song. Still in the rough, but they get better as I play them over and over. I love youtube as it's a permanent repository for all my songs, so if and when I ever play out, I can just select a few songs and reference them on there.

I also like looking at the older stuff and going :shock: holy crap, I put that up, that sucks. LOL. You don't see much improvement sometimes unless you look back at the old stuff.

Anyhow, sometimes I feel like somewhat of a fool always posting new vids on here but screw it. I have to get an idea of what people think. I also can take it if someone thinks it stinks or if it needs improvement. I always need improvement, especially in my playing live. Recording is sort of like playing live, in that there is a bit of pressure not to make mistakes. I'm sure live is a whole another ball game that I can't yet comprehend, but got to start somewhere.

I realize my tunes lack one thing. Soul. A lot of my stuff I can sing well and play well, even technical stuff, but it's the lack of confidence I guess that contributes to the lack of soul. I'm working backwards I guess as I'm trying to play a style that doesn't really resonate well with me, which is why I choose to play a lot of my own stuff. I could spend my life perfecting RJ or Blind Willie stuff, but it would never have the soul that they had because they felt it. I can't feel what they wrote. It's got to be in you for a certain extent. Anyhow, sorry for the incessant ramblings :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcr5FJFubWQ
jamesfarrell
Regular

Re: New tune I writ

Postby boogiechillun85 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:45 am

That's some good guitar playing there, man.

Gotta be honest though, the vocals are too quiet. That's why I never liked playing a reso. The other thing you could do is sing an octave higher.

Still, good stuff.. As for the soul thing, yeah, confidence goes a loooooonnnggg way..
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:19 pm

based on the responses, I guess it sucks, LOL

:lol:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:20 am

Naw, I just finally listened to it. (I don't get around to listening much.) I like it! I agree, though, it's hard to hear your voice over the reso. Singing sounds good, it just doesn't match the instrument's volume. I have trouble with that too, and find that I have to sing unnaturally loud to be heard over it. Voice sounds better to me at a lower volume, but it'd have to be miked. I guess that's how the old bluesmen got their hoarse, gruff voices.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:35 am

Yeah, my voice gets all messed up after singing like that. My stock tone is too nasaly and Boston like to sing. So I have to drink some drano then sing like that.

I'm eventually going to get one of those small acoustic amps that you can hook a mic up to as well.

Little Brother, from little brother blues suggests a mackie small PA system. He does the dual mic setup with that and he has a lot of live experience. According to him, it's the best setup. 1 mic for vocals, 1 for guitar.

However I don't know the drawbacks of micing a guitar vs. a pickup. I don't want one of those humbuckers sticking out the front of my guitars, nor can I spend $300 each guitar for a highlander system setup.

After my next reso, which is arriving tomorrow, a resolian, I'm pretty much tapped out for a long time.

Kevin
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:44 am

Bob Brozman has some good info on miking resos on his site.
ricochet
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:53 am

Honestly, you'd be better off working on getting your singing louder naturally than relying on a PA to fix the volume difference for you. If you don't, you're just going to have to hear all of this from your family one day... "oh, jimmy, that sounds so nice, I just wish I could hear you!" :roll:
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:07 am

a two pronged attack with your voice would be good. get mhiold of some deep breathing and focus exercises like pros use, do some yoga, whatever, and develop your resonance. then be sure that you sing in a good key for your voice. you can find the low end without killing your larynx once you get good breathing control.

i liked the guitar work, and the vocal style, but it would have been nice to hear you sing with more volume. that's kind of similar to my voice, and if it weren't for a p.a. i'd be sunk. if i think i am not being heard, and that sometimes happens, i try to sing louder, and stress my cords out. doesn't happen so much these days since i have worked on breathing deeper and using my body's natural air column for resonance. AND making sure my vocal mic is set where i want it. i roll the bass off that channel, add a bit of highs, some effect, and set the whole thing about where the other vocal mics are set. i usually sing at open mics, or just with my wife in our little fender p.a., which is much easier to deal with.

there was a time my voice would be about gone after 10 songs or so in previous bands. i had to learn to relax and let the electronics carry my volume over drums and guitars and all.

for acoustic playing and singing it's doubly important to develop your whole vocal approach to make the best use of your torso cavity, diaphragm, throat, everything. we play the farmers' market on saturday mornings when we can, and it's been good for me to sing out in the open like that, and to get my voice volume up just by doing.
jbone1
Regular

Postby pick and hammer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:45 pm

Nice song Knucle.Original and refreshing.If you had a million dollar studio you could probably sort out the other technical crap.I've heard worse on vinal.Well done.
pick and hammer
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Cool comments and advice folks, much appreciated and I agree 100%.

I got to find me a vocal coach if I'm going to do this.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby pick and hammer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:21 pm

You've come this far without a vocal coach or any other coach apart from your own passion I reckon just stick with the passion,I'm not sure all the originals visited to many vocal coaches.Passion - soul? Same same but not different!!!!
pick and hammer
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:22 pm

That's the other thing. Finding a good key is overlooked a lot. We all love how our guitars sound tuned down to D or C#, but the fact is that can be a really hard key for some people. Personally, I can't do sh-t if the guitars down in C#. D I'm pretty good with for certain songs. But I'm much more comfortable in E or A. You've got to play around with it, but you find a place for each song where your voice is in the upper register, so it really projects, but it's still easy to sing in. We can't all be Bukka White, you know?
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:37 pm

Yeah, good thought man. My mindset is stuck in "my voice is low" so I always use low tunings. I should experiment a bit more instead of assuming I can only sing low, which I can't. What you heard in "you got to move" is not very good for my voice. If I sung like that night after night, my voice would be permanently shot.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:37 pm

I like your playin' and delivery. You got enough ability and skill to work with,imo. The one good thing about performing your own stuff is that you can write it in any key you want. I have a problem when I'm learnin' old popular tunes on keyboard, 'cuz I learn 'em in the key they were recorded in, so that other people at jams will most likely know the chords too-- however, quite often they are in keys I don't sing well in, so I either do a crappy job or I try to talk somebody else into handlin' the lead vocal. Personally, my range is best in the G,A range, depending on where the vocal lies in the song. I'm glad you're pluggin' away at it James.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:37 pm

Great tune James. I read in an interview somewhere that if you want to project, you need to try speaking the lyrics with overexaggerated feeling. Take a lyrical phrase and speak it (don't sing it) out load with a lot of emphasis on the parts that mean the most. I thought that was a really cool idea - though I can't sing and play for shit because I don't try enough.

Jim, good point on keys! So what you are saying is that a higher pitched tuning works better with a lower pitched voice?
bignick
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar