Your own music - so much easier

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Your own music - so much easier

Postby Nicodemus » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:27 pm

not that I'm Mozart or Dylam but it is so much easier to just play what you make up than to learn other peeps' music, IMO.

am I wrong?
Nicodemus
Regular

Re: Your own music - so much easier

Postby GN-Nick » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:04 pm

isn't your own creativity limited by what you already know how to play? You wouldn't write a piece with musical concepts unknown to you right?

So yes, my own music is easier to play.
GN-Nick
Regular

Postby Nicodemus » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:15 pm

GN-Nick wrote:isn't your own creativity limited by what you already know how to play? You wouldn't write a piece with musical concepts unknown to you right?

So yes, my own music is easier to play.

Okay.... yes, you're right. Hadn't thought of it in those terms. So are you suggesting implicitly then that writing and playing your own music is "easier" than doing cover tunes?
Nicodemus
Regular

Postby GN-Nick » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:06 pm

Unless the covers match your own style and experience, I'd say so. However, if you do enough covers your experience matches more and more frequently.

As a for instance, this is what I'm writing now, and it's in a pretty comfy zone for me...

Each "-" represents a bar line
about 90 BPM, Key of Bm

Verse

Bm7 - Bm7/A - G - DMaj7 -
Em7 - Em7 - Bm7 - C#m7b5 F#7 -

Chorus:

Em7 - Gm7 C7 - F#m7 - B7 -
Em7 - A7 - D - C#m7b5 F#7 -

Even from a chord progression standpoint, this freaks my students out. It's something like i, VI, III, iv, i, ii, v (forgive me if I got it wrong, I'm counting on my fingers) So what I'm used to playing is easy to me. To others it just seems plain weird.
GN-Nick
Regular

Postby vic lewis » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:31 am

Nicodemus wrote: but it is so much easier to just play what you make up than to learn other peeps' music, IMO.

Depends whose music you're covering, I suppose...a lot of blues music is three chords. A lot of rock music, for that matter. A lot of pop music is based around fairly simple progressions....there are literally thousands of songs that use something like a G - Em - C - D progression.

When you start writing your own songs, you're limited as to what you can actually play - as you gain more and more experience, you start finding alternate voicings for chords, experimenting with different tunings, etc.

As for playing covers - well, I've been playing guitar a long time, but only took it seriously for about the last five years. In those few years, I've learned songs that were way over my head previously - and learned different techniques that have helped with other songs.

So if you're playing around with something like an A - D - E chord progression, yes it's easy to play those three chords - it's when you start trying to spice them up with little runs, fills, riffs etc that you'll find playing covers will help you a lot. There's always something you'll find in one of the classics that'll help you with your own writing!

:D :D :D

Vic
vic lewis
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Shoot, when I come up with something of my own, if I haven't played it in a while I have a heck of a time remembering how! :shock:
ricochet
Regular

Postby vic lewis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:35 am

ricochet wrote:Shoot, when I come up with something of my own, if I haven't played it in a while I have a heck of a time remembering how! :shock:

That happens to me, too. Funny thing I've noticed lately - I have no trouble remembering chord progressions, licks, riffs, fills, anything guitar related - but lyrics I've known for forty years or more, I'm having trouble remembering! The more I concentrate on getting better at guitar, the harder it is to remember those golden oldies.

Vic
vic lewis
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:06 am

I have to Google up lyrics all the time.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:56 pm

IMO, the better you become at your instrument, the easier it is to remember lyrics. For example, harp is relatively easy for me to play, but I have to work harder at keyboards; so, if I'm singin' while playing boards I often have more difficulty with the lyrics.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:56 pm

I've never remembered the lyrics to one of my own songs. Well, aside from the song we recorded in the first band I was in, but it was just one verse about pants. Every time I record a song or perform an original, though, I have my notebook sitting at my feet.

As far as my music being easier for me to play, I suppose it is. I usually come up with lyrics first and then set music to them, so I've come up with some sort of odd time signatures and chord progressions (by standard musical practices, at least), but they're always really simple. I rarely actually write music down, though. Sometimes I'll jot the chords down at the top of the page of lyrics, but not always. That's mainly because I re-do my songs a lot. I get bored if they stay the same forever.

I like learning other people's songs, though. It gives me more material to steal...er, uh, draw influence from.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby vic lewis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:59 pm

jeffl wrote:IMO, the better you become at your instrument, the easier it is to remember lyrics. For example, harp is relatively easy for me to play, but I have to work harder at keyboards; so, if I'm singin' while playing boards I often have more difficulty with the lyrics.

Ah, but how well do you sing while playing harp?

Sorry, couldn't resist.........

Vic
vic lewis
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:01 pm

vic lewis wrote:
jeffl wrote:IMO, the better you become at your instrument, the easier it is to remember lyrics. For example, harp is relatively easy for me to play, but I have to work harder at keyboards; so, if I'm singin' while playing boards I often have more difficulty with the lyrics.

Ah, but how well do you sing while playing harp?

Sorry, couldn't resist......... I know.... "Tiny Bubbles" is my best tune that way,lol!

Vic
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:11 pm

I tend to only remember the lyrics to the last 4-5 songs I've done, and I can hack my way through the others.

But sometimes, it all just flows out of me and I'll end up doing all of my songs and then really long ones, something like Dylan's "Tangled Up in Blue" and then afterwards I just think to myself "where the hell did THAT come from?" :shock:
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:37 pm

I should add that I like to just come up with lyrics on the spot quite often. It's always fun to see what you can come up with.
guitarslim101
Regular

Return to Guitar