Playing a casio sa 67 and a few questions.

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

Playing a casio sa 67 and a few questions.

Postby Derekslide » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Question 1. Will I be able to transpose all songs to my keyboard as long as I know where the middle C is?
Question 2. How come I can play the key board easer then I can play the guitar? and already know 4 songs on the keyboard?
Question 3. If a keyboard and Piano has 5 octaves , How many does the guitar and why does the Piano & keyboard has so little octave?
Question 4. On real Piano's and full sized keyboards can you tune then to a tuning like you can do on the guitar?
Derekslide
Regular

Re: Playing a casio sa 67 and a few questions.

Postby GN-Nick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi Derekslide,

1. No. You'll need to know some of the other notes too.
2. Some people start out as guitarists, but turn out to be real pianists.
3. If a piano has 7 1/3 octaves, does it change the number of octaves on a guitar?
4. On real pianos you will need a very big capo, but it can be done.

Peace
GN-Nick
Regular

Postby Catweazle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:14 pm

Derekslide wrote:Question 1. Will I be able to transpose all songs to my keyboard as long as I know where the middle C is?

Which middle C are you talking about? The one on guitar, on piano, violin ?
Derekslide wrote:Question 2. How come I can play the key board easer then I can play the guitar? and already know 4 songs on the keyboard?

Maybe God decided that you should play keyboard and frequent keyboard fora, rather than guitar and guitar fora.
Derekslide wrote:Question 3. If a keyboard and Piano has 5 octaves , How many does the guitar and why does the Piano & keyboard has so little octave?

Sorry, don't know, all the pianos that I know (personally, that is) have 7 1/3 octaves. Perhaps, your piano is octave-challenged.
Have you been ripped off? Have they only given you 5 octaves, instead of 7 1/3? Just think, if they rip off 2 more people, they'll have a piano for nothing.
Derekslide wrote:Question 4. On real Piano's and full sized keyboards can you tune then to a tuning like you can do on the guitar?

Are you wanting to play slide on your piano?
Catweazle
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:48 pm

Catweazle wrote:
Derekslide wrote:Question 1. Will I be able to transpose all songs to my keyboard as long as I know where the middle C is?

Which middle C are you talking about? The one on guitar, on piano, violin ?
Derekslide wrote:Question 2. How come I can play the key board easer then I can play the guitar? and already know 4 songs on the keyboard?

Maybe God decided that you should play keyboard and frequent keyboard fora, rather than guitar and guitar fora.
Derekslide wrote:Question 3. If a keyboard and Piano has 5 octaves , How many does the guitar and why does the Piano & keyboard has so little octave?

Sorry, don't know, all the pianos that I know (personally, that is) have 7 1/3 octaves. Perhaps, your piano is octave-challenged.
Have you been ripped off? Have they only given you 5 octaves, instead of 7 1/3? Just think, if they rip off 2 more people, they'll have a piano for nothing.
Derekslide wrote:Question 4. On real Piano's and full sized keyboards can you tune then to a tuning like you can do on the guitar?

Are you wanting to play slide on your piano?
I've been reading David Hodges lesson how to play simple guitar chords on the piano and once I've learned about that, I've noticed I could play 4 songs right off the bat. and was even Beverly hills cop theme song.

And the thing about the slide, Haha funny mate.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:53 pm

A regular piano with strings is 88 keys, and there are 12 keys in an octave, counting sharps and flats. Digital pianos typically are sold in 3 variations: 61 key, 76 key, and occasionally 88 keys for stage pianos. The cheapest digital boards are nearly all 61 key boards. There is nothing wrong with 61 key boards; I use a 61 key board for jamming, 'cuz I don't need the missing notes at the top or bottom of the board, and the smaller board takes up alot less room for playin' in tight spots--- an advantage when guys are gettin' up and walkin' around your board to grab a drink or a smoke,etc.... AND, the smaller boards are much easier to lug. The most important features on any digital keyboard involve the quality and variety of the digital sampling (the SOUND), and the features you may ultimately require, i.e. midi capability, ability to layer, memory capacity, presence of pitch bending wheels, etc.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:05 pm

Jerry Lee Lewis plays slide piano with his foot.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Catweazle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:34 pm

Derekslide wrote:And the thing about the slide, Haha funny mate.

No sweat dude.
Catweazle
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:40 pm

Nick, Thanks for the replies.

jeff, Ok because the keyboard I'm using now is a starter keyboard with 37 keys and thats why I'm asking about the octave.
And Jeff, I'm thinking about getting the MO8 keyboard from Yamaha and the presound firebox recording firewire package, This way I can record my songs I learn and write on my guitar and actually have good qualities.

Rico, Yeah but Jerry Lee was a weird fella, But I do like the song Great Balls Of Fire though.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:55 pm

By the way this is the place where I'm learning about the middle C.and only 5 octaves on a 61 key keyboard

http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/simpl ... nd-guitar/
Derekslide
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:48 pm

A 21-22 fret guitar in standard tuning only covers 4 octaves (almost 5). Many notes are duplicated or triplicated up and down the neck (12th fret 6th string, 7th fret 5th string, 2nd fret fourth string are all the same).

A piano has a much greater range than that.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard