Rogue spider reso $139

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Rogue spider reso $139

Postby ferndale red » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:51 pm

Musicians Friend stupid deal of the day for Sat. Here's a link.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?s ... D&ZYXSEM=0
ferndale red
Regular

Re: Rogue spider reso $139

Postby ricochet » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:20 pm

I ordered one. I miss my old cheap Johnson spider. There's an error on the webpage so when you click on "Buy it now" it comes up at $179.99 instead of $139.99. You have to phone in the order to get it right. The nice young lady I talked to entered the correct discounted price, then offered me a choice of colors, and roundneck or square. I got a sunburst roundneck. She probably wasn't supposed to do that, I expect the sale was on black ones because they're slow sellers. But they're not losing any money on the deal, you betcha.
ricochet
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:57 pm

I bought one almost 2 years ago for $124. I wanted a low buck model I could modify/mess with without any real concerns. I installed a rails pickup in it and did a couple other minor mods to it. I've used it in public many times and people seem to love it. The rails on the reso provides a tube like distortion regardless of what kind of amp/pa I'm using. I also bought one of the brass Johnson's last year, for the same purposes, experiments, when they were dumping those models. You can't lose, really, at that price.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby todd » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:54 pm

Have you ever played one?

It was my first guitar. Resonators are my favorite. I have not bought another resonator yet because I can't find one that sounds better even though I have played some upwards of $1,500.

It makes the Gibson Houndog sound just like a houndog. It will like any acoustic need a proper set up, but ever since I got it set up, all I have done is replace the tuning machines with some gotoh's and I still love mine.

And it's held up. I didn't have any type of case for 2 years. Just put it in the back of my jeep wherever I went. And I tune or retune to open G, open D, standard, and now even DADGAD constantly. The neck has held up astonishingly well.

4 out of 5 stars for the Rogue brother!
todd
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:20 pm

todd wrote:Have you ever played one?

Not a Rogue, but I had a Johnson "Chicago Blues" roundneck that was the cheapest of the cheap back in 2001 and I'll bet it's quite similar. You know, that thing really sounded great!
ricochet
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:55 am

Not a Rogue, but I had a Johnson "Chicago Blues" roundneck that was the cheapest of the cheap back in 2001 and I'll bet it's quite similar.

I believe they are made by the same outfit.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby oleman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:15 am

I first bought the Rogue triolian and liked it so much that I sprung for the chrome plated brass one and have usually gigged with the metal one and play the triolian around the crib. I don't see how you can go wrong for that kind of money.
Perhaps I'll get the spyder also.
oleman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:58 pm

It's back up to $180 now, still not a bad deal.
ricochet
Regular

Postby zaiata » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:22 pm

I got one a few years back. For me this is the best bang for the buck reso ever. Only thing I do to the Rogue spider is string change.
I though I may have to change the tuners... but noooo it hold the tuning not a problem. And it sounds awesome.

I am considering adding a pickup to play it trough my Fender Deluxe Reverb but I don't know what kind of pickup will be appropriate.
Any one tried the Lace Ultra Slim Acoustic Sensor on a wood reso? I think this my work, and if not I can use it in one of the metal resonator.
Any other recommendation ?

Enjoy your Rogue.
zaiata
Regular

Postby zaiata » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:22 pm

Hey Rico, did you got the spider?
I am going to order a pickup.... I guest it will no be an issue covering the three small holes near the neck.

Rico, I hope you realize how important and appreciated you are here...... Not that you are crying for attention like some one else :lol:
zaiata
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:36 pm

Thanks!

Moving right along, I got it today! :D

If I didn't know how cheap it was, I'd think it was a much pricier one. It's very nicely made and finished, and really sounds great! Nothing about it is obviously "cheap." I don't see how those Chinese can make things as nicely and as cheaply as they do! (This one's much more nicely finished than my 2001 Johnson, and I really can't find any obvious flaws.)

I know spiders aren't traditionally regarded as "blues guitars," but they sure do have a nice characteristic sound! This one's got really booming bass, is way louder than my tricone, and has loads of sustain. It's got that nice kinda nasal twang on the attack and "hollow" tone that a dobro's expected to have. Looking inside, it has an unpainted cast aluminum spider, tightly fitted ebony capped maple saddles, and a spun cone that's sitting in a proper soundwell. (I haven't generally been a fan of spiders built with support posts instead, thinking they may sound more like souped up dreadnoughts or something.) The soundwell has round holes, bigger than the ones in my old Johnson spider, and I think there may be fewer of them. 6 in total, I believe, 3 opening into the upper bout, 3 into the lower, and their diameter takes up nearly the whole height of the well.

The strings are 80/20 brass wound .013-.056". Tuners are no-name sealed Grover types that work very smoothly with little backlash and seem secure.

All in all, I highly recommend this budget reso. I'm having fun with it. I'll get around to recording and posting something eventually. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:35 pm

I don't see how those Chinese can make things as nicely and as cheaply as they do!

I think you do.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:24 pm

Yes, I do. They have modern, highly automated factories. Their build process isn't as labor intensive as traditional methods. And their laborers' wages are lower than those in the U.S. or Europe, as is the case in much of the world. But they surely do good work!
ricochet
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:55 pm

No environmental requirements, no tax issues etc.
And no doubt, there is a quality consistency from many of the plants.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:08 pm

I'll try to cut down on my chewing on the finish. :D
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar