Covert biscuit to spider resonator? Possible?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Covert biscuit to spider resonator? Possible?

Postby ledbird99 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:32 am

Hi Everyone:

Long-time reader, first-time poster.

My Question: I've got a nice little biscuit-bridge resonator guitar that I enjoy. It's wood construction, round neck and plays pretty well.

I was wondering if it was possible to convert it to a spider bridge just by changing resonators? Is this even possible? Are spider and biscuit cones interchangable?

Thanks in advance.
ledbird99
Regular

Re: Covert biscuit to spider resonator? Possible?

Postby zhyla » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:03 am

I don't have any diagrams handy but I'm pretty sure the internal construction is a little different. I'm sure it's possible, in the same way that it's possible to build a guitar from scratch. It's more than just dropping in a different cone.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby tobiepsg » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:32 am

ledbird99 wrote:I've got a nice little biscuit-bridge resonator guitar <snip>I was wondering if it was possible to convert it to a spider bridge just by changing resonators? Is this even possible? Are spider and biscuit cones interchangable?

Not sure what exactly you mean by "changing resonators", but if it is possible at all, you'll have to change the cone and spider. A spider will not fit on top of a typical biscuit bridge cone. What exactly is your goal & purpose with such conversion? It might be worthwhile to rather exchange your roundneck for a squareneck and keep apples with apples.

If you already have a reso, you might want to join Resonation (http://www.reso-nation.org/forum) and pose the same question to its stacks of highly knowledgable (& most helpful) members, including quite a few reso luthiers.
tobiepsg
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:15 am

Oh!.....oh! change...I thought a "Covert Biscuit" was a biscuit disguised as a spider...Like some kind of Special Ops blues guitar infiltrating a country scene where......nevermind, my bad!
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:24 pm

It'll take extensive rebuilding of the body of the guitar to put in a soundwell of different diameter and height. My advice is: Don't go there. Buy a spider guitar.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Guitar