Beware, innocent bystander!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Beware, innocent bystander!

Postby musicalcarrion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:33 pm

I don't often inflict my drafts on the innocent like this, but I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on this recording:

http://mattgeddes.musicalcarrion.com/tr ... draft2.mp3

It's probably pushing the boundaries of what many (including myself) consider blues, but it's all bottleneck. It's the second take I recorded after coming up with the main theme during the first take and is largely improvised. I don't normally go for a lot of guitar effects, but in this case, I wanted the space afforded by the reverb and delay. The way I'm playing, plus the effects settings mean that I'm getting more tremolo and less crunch on the bottom notes and vice-versa on the top end. It's all a single guitar take with no overdubs or punch-ins.

Be honest, but gentle ;-). Thanks in advance.
musicalcarrion
Regular

Re: Beware, innocent bystander!

Postby allanlummox » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:37 pm

I like the tone.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musicalcarrion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:46 pm

allanlummox wrote:I like the tone.

Cheers. It's not bad for a beat-up old Squier Telecaster. I was thinking about using the Grestch, but with the crunch and the delay, it would have been too muddy. I like a little clarity from time to time. :-)
musicalcarrion
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:28 am

I too like the tone. That sounds badass. I dig that kind of slide played on an electric.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:03 am

I like the sound, but in some parts the overwhelming amount of delay got to me. Of course if you were trying to get to me you succeeded :).
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby musicalcarrion » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:25 pm

leftguitarman wrote:That sounds badass

Yep. That's me. I'm the bad ass-est Software Engineer around. I'm so bad ass, in fact, that I'd kick my *own* ass for looking at myself wrong in the mirror. :-)

zhyla wrote:I like the sound, but in some parts the overwhelming amount of delay got to me. Of course if you were trying to get to me you succeeded :).

I deliberately put a lot of delay (and other stuff) on it, but I wasn't aiming to do anyone any permanent harm with it. I hope you're not curled up in the foetal position shaking or anything bad like that :-)

The fact that there's a lot of delay is precisely the reason why I don't play any more than a handful of notes in quick succession -- it gets too messy too quickly. Point taken though.

Thanks all for the comments so far.
musicalcarrion
Regular

Return to Guitar