Netiquettes - Do you consider it RUDE?

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

Netiquettes - Do you consider it RUDE?

Postby netcat » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:04 am

Hi
I would like to get everyone's opinion on a site my friend showed me. The address is http://www.pleaselearntherules.com and it is a place to send people when they don't use BCC when sending to groups or forward time wasters to your work address..

Here is my delimma: I am thinking it might be a nice way to let people know I don't appreciate them sending my email address out to a bunch of strangers but I don't want to seem too rude. A lot of the people who send me these kinds of emails are just new to using email or the internet.. What do you guys think? Is this kind of response rude?

Thanks!
Jinny
netcat
Regular

Re: Netiquettes - Do you consider it RUDE?

Postby rustyslide » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:47 pm

...this is certainly an odd spambot. The page linked is legit, but hacked, I think, the links in the PS section are spam/phising sites.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:37 am

I wondered what was up with it, but not enough to click on the link.
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:12 am

I sent an email to the owner of the site with my concerns, and got a reply.

Apparently an intern was over-enthusiastic in their interpretation of "increasing traffic". He said that the links in the PS section just go through referral sites to help mitigate the hosting costs for the page.

Perhaps Netcat would like to apologise, but I already banned him or her. Whoops! :wha:

Interestingly, I suspect it was a bot that did the posting, as it came from a computer in Pakistan, despite the company in question being based in Florida.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:27 pm

Outsourcing.

We're also seeing a lot of this so-called "viral marketing," some new user that says "I'm the biggest fan ever of The CheeseSpewers! Check out their new video here and get their new CD!" Lame.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions