Tubes for the Cube

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Tubes for the Cube

Postby straightblues » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:08 am

I have two small amps that would work. One is the new Vox AC4TV. It is 5 watts and has a built in attenuator. An acoustic through it sounds pretty good as well. I have did solo acoustic gigs with it.

The other is a 1950 Valco. The early Valco amp (sold under a number of different names including, Supro, Bronson and many others) are very good.
straightblues
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:40 am

texas blues wrote:Dan...while I have a Clark handwired tweed champ clone...it still is a very loud amp when dialed into the sweet spot of around 9 or 10. I bought a Fender Champion 600 off of Lefty a couple moons ago and have been playing that about 90% of the time. The only problem with the amp I have found is excessive speaker buzz above 5. I remedied this by putting a Bixonic Expandora dirt box in front of it and can dial up very nice tube sound on 4. Doesn't matter if I play the V w/buckers or the LP w/P90's, it does the job for me in the Blues Kitchen late at night or when I don't want to disturb anyone. I am looking at a Weber speaker for replacement if it will fit but thus far I am quite happy with it.
Cheers, TB.

Old thread but relevant.

Been using that 600 for a long time now for just as described "late night" foolishnessess.

Trouble with that amp (an unending list of shit) is the buzz from the grill cloth.

The crap is more like neoprene/leather/rubber rather than an actual grill cloth.

Doesn't allow the speaker to actually push much air at all.

Forget changing tubes or changing the tone stack, the amp is not only like having a

wet blanket over it , its like have a wet mattress over it!!!!

So I got the idea I'd change that sheeit out and ordered up some tweed like

grill cloth from Mojotone for cheapness.

Got it today and ripped the amp apart and went to install and more fear and loathing.

I ripped off the junk Fender grill condom and went to cut and staple the new tweed cloth

but nooooooooo!!!!!

Stupid staple gun wouldn't load and staple.

After much gnashing of teeth and self whining I decided to just say fuck it and

put it all back together without any grill cloth.

Like a whole new amplificador.

It actually sounds good all by itself.

Running a Tech 21 Blonde through it and have mercy!!!

Sounds like got dang TWEED!

Holy sheeit now y'all!

I do believe I'ma take this rig out to gigs albeit mic'd.

While it ain't my awesome Clark tweed tone, its still pretty damn good for the money.

Like pizza and sex.

When its good its great.

And when its bad its still pretty good.
texas blues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:30 pm

my situation has changed a lot over the past few years - and even more over the past few weeks, an Ice Dam crept up under the eaves of my studio and wrecked a section of wall and ceiling, my booth and other studio gear are stacked up elsewhere in the house until the roofer can make time for us.

Since we now live in a pretty countrified area - a big adjustment for a lifelong city mouse - volume is less of an issue, so when I get an electric urge, I fire up my Vibroluxe (mostly these days to play a Fender Mandolin, a shockingly nice version I traded a Tele for last year.)

Tex, sounds like a wise "mod" losing the grille cloth - sometimes it's not what you put there but what you take away.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:51 am

allanlummox wrote:my situation has changed a lot over the past few years - and even more over the past few weeks, an Ice Dam crept up under the eaves of my studio and wrecked a section of wall and ceiling, my booth and other studio gear are stacked up elsewhere in the house until the roofer can make time for us.

Since we now live in a pretty countrified area - a big adjustment for a lifelong city mouse - volume is less of an issue, so when I get an electric urge, I fire up my Vibroluxe (mostly these days to play a Fender Mandolin, a shockingly nice version I traded a Tele for last year.)

Tex, sounds like a wise "mod" losing the grille cloth - sometimes it's not what you put there but what you take away.

You traded a tele for a mandolin?

I don't even know you anymore.

In at least 13 different religions that's considered a sin!
texas blues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:09 am

I haven't played in a situation where I've needed an electric guitar in years.

And I've barely put the mandolins down - really got bit.

I think I just like learning new tunings.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:23 am

allanlummox wrote:I haven't played in a situation where I've needed an electric guitar in years.

And I've barely put the mandolins down - really got bit.

I think I just like learning new tunings.

I grock to that completely.

A couple years ago I put down the pic.

Changed my whole perspective on how to play.

I dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0y5Gc61_5Y
texas blues
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar