Bloomfield Licks

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Bloomfield Licks

Postby scrappercondor » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:07 pm

Does anybody know where I could get some tabs for Mike Bloomfield licks? As far as his technique, I know he played mainly in the first and second position playing minor pentatonic licks over the I and IV and major pentatonic licks over the V. Anybody other Bloomers out there?

Thanks,
Scrapper
scrappercondor
Regular

RE: Bloomfield Licks

Postby peter green » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:28 pm

Truefire website sells a lesson of Mike's Licks.

As far as his sound and technique:

1- he was lefthanded playing right handed (i read that in his biography)

2- he used a staccato picking technique and played over the edge of the beat.

3- He used chromatic licks and runs ala B.B. King
peter green
Regular

Postby scrappercondor » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:18 pm

Hey! Thanks, Peter! Pretty cool! Pretty cool!

Bloomfield also used the Albert King box quite a bit.
scrappercondor
Regular

Postby peter green » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:31 pm

you are welcome man
i'm studing his style too
:)
peter green
Regular

Postby thalo blues boy » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:27 am

Hello: I'm th' new kid (age 62) on th' block. Have been studying Bloomfield for a few years. Just learned "Winter Moon" and will send chord progression if you like.(?) Would like to continue his legacy via t-shirts, but I contacted Norman Dayron, who has zillions of photos of Mike, but can't seem to find anyone that prints that t-shirt Mike wears in the airport photo. I also have the booklet from "If You Love These Blues" (L.P.) where Mike talks about the chord progressions he used on the album. Can make photocopies and mail them out, but need surface mail addresses, as my "computerese" ain't all that hot. I attended a Mike Bloomfield workshop at Ft. Mason (S.F.) in the late 70's, but after repeated phone calls to his house, the Golden Bear Music folks refunded our money since Mike was unable to appear, let alone perform, that Saturday. Bloomers forever!
thalo blues boy
Regular

Postby scrappercondor » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:58 am

Good to find other Bloomfield followers here! I just picked up Triumvirate, with Mike, Dr. John, and John Hammond. Great stuff! Kind of a mixture of blues, Stax soul, and New Orleans funk. Great playing by Bloomfield.

Thalo- I've been trying to find a Mike Bloomfield t-shirt for quite a while but no luck. Too bad Mike didn't show up for the workshop. Probably out with a bout with insomnia.
scrappercondor
Regular

Postby thalo blues boy » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:12 am

Scrapper: I agree with you about Triumvirate. I guess it was one helluva' time to finally get that session on wax...(artistic temperment?) Try to hear Mike's album "Salty". I also have him playing solo with, of all people, Woody Herman! , and Woody blows some VERY intense clarinet blues! Keep me posted if you run down any t-shirts, and I'll do the same. In the mean time, I guess we'll have to be content with wearing John Hammond snakeskin suits! Later, James
thalo blues boy
Regular

Postby peter green » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:47 pm

Hey Thalo
welcome aboard!
sorry about the workshop. Been there with Mike should be a lifetime experience.

i will like a copy of the booklet please.
my adress is:

FRANCISCO INDACOCHEA
4405 N.W. 73erd Avenue
Suite# 718-21266
Miami, Florida
peter green
Regular

Postby peter green » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:49 pm

Florida 33166

sory about that
peter green
Regular

Postby thalo blues boy » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:48 am

Peter: You got it. The copy will be mailed tomorrow. Wife and I plan to visit the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg sometime. Will phone you if we have a layover
in Miami. Stay well, James
thalo blues boy
Regular

Postby peter green » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:17 pm

thanks James
peter green
Regular

Postby peter green » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:19 pm

Thanxs Thalo
i got it today
peter green
Regular

Postby drake » Wed May 11, 2005 2:44 am

Wow.
knew Mike back in the Fickle Pickle days in Chicago and in San Francisco, too.
Shortly before his untimely death I visited him in Mill valley and asked him flat out how could I improve my guitar playing.
He said;
1. work out your chords triads and on a piano and then transcribe them one note at a time to guitar. This makes you learn some interesting chord inversions. I learned some good ones there.
2. When you play leads, play notes that you would sing or say. Phrasing. Follow your voice.

A couple of cool tricks:
1.Damping the upper bout of an acoustic guitar with the heel of your right [picking] hand and letting off rhythmically sounds like a wah wah if you do it right.
2. damping the strings with your picking hand for rhythmic emphasis ["the guitar is really a rhythm instrument"}
3. Try, in open tuning, barring the harmonic on the 12th fret, then push the neck from the peghead out while slapping the upper bout with your picking hand -- only if you think you have a sturdy, yet flexible guitar, not for the weak of heart, but cool.

He also rarely changed strings, set his action high so he could bend under the strings, and loved funky old guitars like his Kay archtop.
drake
Regular

Postby scrappercondor » Sun May 22, 2005 4:11 am

That's pretty cool, Drake. I heard he was an interesting guy to talk to... pretty funny. I struggled with the guitar until I started working out some of Mike's solos. Something about his playing just rang a bell for me and helped me find my style. Didn't he do a guitar instructional video back in the 70s? That'd be cool to get a hold of.
scrappercondor
Regular

Postby drake » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:05 pm

>That's pretty cool, Drake. I heard he was an interesting guy
>to talk to... pretty funny. I struggled with the guitar
>until I started working out some of Mike's solos. Something
>about his playing just rang a bell for me and helped me find
>my style. Didn't he do a guitar instructional video back in
>the 70s? That'd be cool to get a hold of.

I don't know about that. Could well be. He was 'working' for Guitar Playter magazine for awhile, did some projects around that time. There was a record with , I think, a book, "If you Love These Blues" or something like that.

A very sweet guy, some troubles came his way. He grew up on the North Side of Chicago, not far from Wrigley Field.
drake
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar Tabs