Amp Speaker Replacement For The Electrically Challenged

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Amp Speaker Replacement For The Electrically Challenged

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed May 21, 2008 3:10 pm

Once again I'm seeking advice. I had a friend give me a Ragin Cajun (sp) speaker that according to Eminence would be a beneficial upgrade for my 25W Frontman. Here's the rub, I'm not "electrically inclined", so I googled the subject of speaker replacement and found the following:

Unplug the amplifier from guitar and electrical socket. Remove any cables and accessories stored in the back of the amplifier. Place it face down on a stable surface to allow easy access through the back.

Disconnect the wires going to the bad speaker. Pull the connector, not the wire, and use pliers if necessary. If the wires are not color-coded (typically red is positive and black is negative), use a marker to identify where they should mount. This is crucial in an amp with multiple speakers. Mis-wiring will put the speakers out of phase.

Use a screwdriver to remove the screws holding in the speaker. If the speaker is held on with nuts, remove them with a socket driver or pliers.

Place the new speaker in position. Replace screws, or nuts, in opposite pairs (for example, replace the screw at the noon position, then the 6 o'clock position) but do not tighten.

Tighten screws only after all have been replaced. Reconnect the wires running to the guitar amplifier speaker. Return the amp to an upright position and replace any gear stored in back.

Plug the amplifier into the guitar and wall.

Given the above instructions, it would appear that if I can walk and chew gum at the same time, this is a task I can take on confidently! Comments, WARNINGS, etc much appreciated
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: Amp Speaker Replacement For The Electrically Challenged

Postby ricochet » Wed May 21, 2008 3:45 pm

Nothing to add to the above. If you can't handle this one, my sympathies! :lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed May 21, 2008 4:50 pm

Thanks Rico! I felt that I could, but never hurts to check out new territory! Many years ago while serving as a Corpsman on a Coast Guard Cutter, myself and another Corpsman performed an emergency appendectomy during a brutal storm in the Bering Sea. Did Xylocaine with, locals in and out. It all went well, save for being short a sponge, but I suspect the initial count was incorrect as we looked diligently. Ah the folly of youth and being bullet proof. I kind of miss those days!

Edited to correct the spelling of the "Bering" Sea
Last edited by Bant's Bluz on Wed May 21, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed May 21, 2008 5:19 pm

"See one, do one, teach one" didn't always have to include seeing one. :mrgreen:
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed May 21, 2008 5:30 pm

So true, but I did have the advantage of not only seeing one previously, but actually assisting so I wasn't completely in the dark. We did have ether that we could have used, but I was concerned about proper static control. It's so, so embarrassing to blow up your patient!!!!!!!
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby 62strat » Wed May 21, 2008 7:02 pm

Doc wrote:Thanks Rico! I felt that I could, but never hurts to check out new territory! Many years ago while serving as a Corpsman on a Coast Guard Cutter, myself and another Corpsman performed an emergency appendectomy during a brutal storm in the Bearing Sea. Did Xylocaine with, locals in and out. It all went well, save for being short a sponge, but I suspect the initial count was incorrect as we looked diligently. Ah the folly of youth and being bullet proof. I kind of miss those days!

Ok, this isn't in the same league as an emergency appendectomy at sea, but I did blow up the output transformer in my amp by turning it on after changing the speaker and forgetting to re-attach the speaker wires. It took about 10 seconds to do the damage. So don't do that. 8)
62strat
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed May 21, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks Strat! I'm one of those types that has functional Obsessive Compulsion Syndrome, so I tend to check, double, triple, fourple check, ad nauseum!
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby 62strat » Thu May 22, 2008 2:05 am

Doc wrote:Thanks Strat! I'm one of those types that has functional Obsessive Compulsion Syndrome, so I tend to check, double, triple, fourple check, ad nauseum!

Well I've got functional ADD, so we should team up. :lol:
62strat
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues