My First do-bro.

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

My First do-bro.

Postby Derekslide » Tue May 13, 2008 12:58 am

Why is it so damn hard to figure out which one to buy?

I can spend anywhere from $1500-$2000 on a nice one. And possible $2500 "that might be pushing it"
Derekslide
Regular

Re: My First do-bro.

Postby mnozzolio » Tue May 13, 2008 9:58 am

Derekslide: This is a good problem to have. With so many choices, and your price range, you're bound to find something perfect for you.
First, what style do you play (lap-style or conventional)? If the former you probably want a squareneck.
Do you want a grittier, what I call funkier sound? Biscuit bridge or tricone may suit you more than a spider bridge.
Is there anywhere near you where you can try some out?
You may already know this, but I couldn't quite tell from your post. What do you have in mind?
mnozzolio
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Tue May 13, 2008 11:07 am

mnozzolio wrote:Derekslide: This is a good problem to have. With so many choices, and your price range, you're bound to find something perfect for you.
First, what style do you play (lap-style or conventional)? If the former you probably want a squareneck.
Do you want a grittier, what I call funkier sound? Biscuit bridge or tricone may suit you more than a spider bridge.
Is there anywhere near you where you can try some out?
You may already know this, but I couldn't quite tell from your post. What do you have in mind?
I will be playing conventional & bottle neck.

I would like a gritter sounds "more for the delta blues and the blues"

I was thinking of getting a good National something used.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Robin » Tue May 13, 2008 3:34 pm

Derekslide wrote:

It does sound like you are after something a little raw - that acoustic "valve sound". In which case I would suggest that you narrow your search down to steel-bodied biscuit bridge single cones.

If you want an up-market guitar then a new or second hand National Resophonic Delphi will do the job. http://www.vintagenationals.com/DelphiVS%20national%20guitar%20temp.htm That's right in your price bracket at about $1800

If this is your first reso, then you may want to dip your toe in the water and buy one of the better budget range guitars - Frank at Republic Guitars usually has some great steel-bodied 12 and 14 fret single cones that will give you that real Delta growl for about $600. Not as well finished as a National Resophonic guitar but excellent resonator guitars none the less. A lot of people forget that the original Duolian made by National in the 1930s and loved by street bluesmen was actually a budget guitar!

Robin
Robin
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Tue May 13, 2008 8:09 pm

Robin wrote:
Derekslide wrote:

It does sound like you are after something a little raw - that acoustic "valve sound". In which case I would suggest that you narrow your search down to steel-bodied biscuit bridge single cones.

If you want an up-market guitar then a new or second hand National Resophonic Delphi will do the job. http://www.vintagenationals.com/DelphiVS%20national%20guitar%20temp.htm That's right in your price bracket at about $1800

If this is your first reso, then you may want to dip your toe in the water and buy one of the better budget range guitars - Frank at Republic Guitars usually has some great steel-bodied 12 and 14 fret single cones that will give you that real Delta growl for about $600. Not as well finished as a National Resophonic guitar but excellent resonator guitars none the less. A lot of people forget that the original Duolian made by National in the 1930s and loved by street bluesmen was actually a budget guitar!

Robin
Thank you for the help mate but I'm not going to buy a res for under $900.

and thank you so much for the help.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Tue May 13, 2008 9:51 pm

Why not?
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Tue May 13, 2008 10:01 pm

jellyroll baker wrote:

Why not?
Remember the Old attage? You get what you pay for?

And I have several under $900 they sound good but they could sound better. and one was $500 but I put $200 worth vintage pickups in her.

And I know your trying to help out a fellow blues hound, and I really apreachate bgi time.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Tue May 13, 2008 11:24 pm

I'm thinking about this do-bro.

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/50U-1584.htm
&
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/50U-1851.htm

:) I love the looks of it and I love how she sounds I've been listing to a lot of do-bro on youtube lately.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby kwill » Wed May 14, 2008 12:28 pm

I had a Dobro 33 as well as a Dobro DS90, a Dobro 60D and a National Bendaway...not one of them came anywhere close to the sound of my Republic Tricone and my Republic Miniolian sounds better than the 33, the DS90 or the 60D.
kwill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Wed May 14, 2008 12:29 pm

kwill wrote:I had a Dobro 33 as well as a Dobro DS90, a Dobro 60D and a National Bendaway...not one of them came anywhere close to the sound of my Republic Tricone and my Republic Miniolian sounds better than the 33, the DS90 or the 60D.
was that the 33 gator?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby kwill » Wed May 14, 2008 12:58 pm

It's been a long time and I don't really remember if it was a gator. I do have two Dobros that I really love:

Both from the early 60s...the one on the left is a 6 string biscuit bridge that really has a dirty growl and the one on the right is a 12 string spider bridge that sounds really sweet.
kwill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Wed May 14, 2008 1:03 pm

Which one do you like the most? and nice reso's by the way.

I'm looking for dark colored reso my self.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby kwill » Wed May 14, 2008 1:57 pm

I have four resos and which I play depends on my mood and the music.

My favorite all-around reso is the Republic Tricone...It has been a very pleasant surprise for a low priced instrument...great tone and playability and no finish or workmanship issues. I'm always getting comments on how great it sounds.

The 6 string Dobro is great because it has such a wide range of tones...by the saddle it really growls, closer to the neck it is less harsh.

The 12 string, being a spider, has a much sweeter tone. I use it less because it is so much more difficult to change tunings.

The Republic Miniolian hangs in my office and I play it at work or take it with me as a travel guitar. It has a tone somewhere between the Tricone and the 6 string Dobro.

So, hard to say which I like best but I can't imagine getting rid of any of them.
kwill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed May 14, 2008 3:09 pm

Never knew they made Dobros of that style with biscuits. Cool!
ricochet
Regular

Postby mukluk » Wed May 14, 2008 5:04 pm

Check out the video samplers at this link:

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page2520.htm

Should give you an idea about the sound difference of biscuits, spiders, and tri-cones..... for a few other brands. Beards apparently are quality instruments. Also, get yourself the National Guitar CD sample sent to you. I think it might cost a few bucks, but should give you a good idea of how all their different models sound. Here's the link for it:

http://www.nationalguitars.com/lo_band/catalogue.html
mukluk
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar