Booze and the Blues ...

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Booze and the Blues ...

Postby gatorgabe » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:14 pm

I was surfin' the web this morning and found this really cool article about the history of "booze and the blues", and how some of the best drinking songs are also some of the best blues songs of all time. It's got some really great video of Ray Charles, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Amos Milburn, Bessie Smith, Albert Collins and Screamin' Jay Hawkins, among others. I thought this would be a good post for this site ... check it out ... you can find the article on Gibson Guitars website ... click Lifestyle and then look for the article headline "Blues and Booze: A 12-Pack of Drinking Songs from John Lee Hooker, Albert Collins, Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, More" Otherwise, the link is below ... Enjoy!!!

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle ... A12Packof/
gatorgabe
Regular

Re: Booze and the Blues ...

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:19 am

It's a great list but it really served to remind me just how many of our heroes suffered from severe and debilitating alcohol abuse problems. From Tommy Johnson to Son House to more contemporary artists such as Chris Smither the lure of the bottle can turn very nasty very quickly.

Not trying to put a damper on anyone's fun - I'm about to head down to my favourite jazz club for a few martinis - but I think it's imporant to remember the damage that booze has done to some of our heroes.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues