Loan me a dime?

A place to post guitar tabs separately from other discussion so it doesn’t get lost in the messages. To make it easy to search we suggest starting a new thread for each song posted and include the song name in your title. We’ll be able to make a nice archive if we keep tab here and discussion on the other forums.

Loan me a dime?

Postby celtic blues » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:33 pm

Been looking for tab/chords for this, particularly the Boz Scaggs version. I don't even have the record any more, I used to have the one with Duane Allman, I loved it. Is there anyone out there who plays this tune? Thanks in advance :)
celtic blues
Regular

RE: Loan me a dime?

Postby stumblin » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:22 am

I don't have the tab for this.
I've heard a version by Fenton Robinson, and seem to remember hearing others do it too.
It's just a standard 12-bar, write down the words, pick a key and you're away. As for any instrumental embellishments, you have carte blanche :)
stumblin
Regular

Postby celtic blues » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:10 am

Thanks for the reply - I tracked down a version with Scaggs and Allman, and I'll probably play it in G. I'm taking it around to the singer's house tonight, with my guitar - expecting him to go very pale when he hears the vocals! Sounds difficult and very soulful, but what do I know, I play some strings :-)
celtic blues
Regular

Postby nizer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:08 pm

>It's just a standard 12-bar, write down the words, pick a
>key and you're away. As for any instrumental embellishments,
>you have carte blanche

I recommend against this approach. Too many Blues bands do this and it means the audience only hears 3 or 4 songs all night - a shuffle, a slow Blues, a 4/4, etc. Boring. If you like a song, try to find the original. You can find Fenton Robinson's version on Alligator. Listen to it and try to find something that makes it different from any other slow 12 bar. A good way to start is play the vocal line on guitar (or harp).

It doesn't mean you have to slavishly imitate the original - change and interpret it. But try to find some way to make it unique. It'll be more fun for you AND the audience.
nizer
Regular

Postby celtic blues » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:18 pm

Yeah, I'm conscious of the fact that a lot of blues can start to sound the same. I try to use some of the fills, licks and turnarounds used in the original of each song to give each it's own flavour, and of course having a good vocalist helps. I'll try to track down Fenton Robinson's original, but it's the Boz Scaggs one that I know and love. Still, it's always useful to draw from more than one version of a song, particularly the original.
celtic blues
Regular

Postby stumblin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:26 pm

I wasn't meaning to be flippant, I just thought that it would be as good a start as any. After all, we all change our songs slightly over time, as we learn new bits for them etc.
Yes, Fenton Robinson's version is superb, and really stands out from the crowd. Hear it if you get a chance.
stumblin
Regular

Re: Loan me a dime?

Postby caramel1982 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:26 pm

Fenton Robinson's version is superb. I agree with you guys.

Simulation pret immobilier
caramel1982
Regular

Return to Guitar Tabs