Gibson Blues Hawk

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Gibson Blues Hawk

Postby skeyxc » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:22 pm

First of all, thank you in advance for any opinions or information you may have. I've recently turned into a passionate beginner/intermediate player instead of the collector that I've been over the years. I've lost a lot of time, I'm afraid, that I could have been enjoying the guitar much more than I always did.

I thinking of buying a Gibson Blues Hawk and would like any of your feelings about this guitar. I love playing the Blues and hearing that Bluesy lead sound. Thanks again...

Roland

You can "Never" have too many Hobbies...
skeyxc
Regular

RE: Gibson Blues Hawk

Postby sloth » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:10 am

I used to want a Blueshawk real bad a couple of years ago. They are great guitars. They are kinda small and feel a little odd at first and they are neck heavy. They have a great neck though, and the action was wonderful.

The P90s sound really good in them. I would buy one in a minute for slide if I had the chance. They aren't a very bright guitar in my opinion though. Think Gibson or Tele neck pickup tone all the time. Kinda bassy and mushy, but great for lead.
sloth
Regular

Postby cllvt » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:16 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-05 AT 07:18 PM (EST)]Hi Roland,

I am a relative beginner, and have no experience w/this guitar, but I thought I would point out this resource, just in case you have not seen/used it before:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/D ... awk-1.html

It is great to get opinions like you will get here, from people who will use the guitar similar to what you would. Unfortunately, sometimes there just are not enough people that have used a particular item. Harmony-central often has enough reviews to get an idea of what the average user experiences, how often they have quality issues, etc. Not as a substitute for opinions (which I greatly value) offered here, but simply as an additional reference.

If you have already seen this before - my apologies, just thought I would mention it. Now I will stop talking, and let some of these experienced bluesmen take over!
Chris
cllvt
Regular

Postby skeeter_s » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:44 am

The Blueshawk Is a great little guitar. I had a bud that had one and I got to play around with it some, it is capable of some great sounds. Krank the amp up and back off on the ax volume, and she's a monster, or a sweet woman. or about anything in between. His was a Little Lucille.

There is 50 reviews on harmony central and there is an unusual number of negitive posts. Any time I see that I tend to think the 16 year old Jackson fans have shared their well informed opinions. :D

S.S.
skeeter_s
Regular

Postby grady » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:05 am

Well,,,,I had a Black one,,,Brand new.
No matter what you did to it,,,you could not get the Intonation set properly.
Believe me,,,I know how to set a Guitar up.

I traded it off.

Never again.
grady
Regular

Postby bloozegit » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:31 am

I've responded to this thread on another blues forum I think, and my own review is somewhere up there on Harmony Central. Suffice to say, it's a great blues guitar worth getting. Kind of like getting a LP Junior at production prices.

The set up can be done easily with the Strat-style saddles, but sometimes the quality control is dodgy. Grady might have gotten one of those. The finish is pretty fragile, but it was meant to be a workhorse, not a showcase item.

I've used it for 5 yrs as my main blues guitar and it's served me well. No reason that it shouldn't do the same for you if you get a good one.
bloozegit
Regular

Postby cllvt » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:51 pm

>The Blueshawk Is a great little guitar. I had a bud that had
>one and I got to play around with it some, it is capable of
>some great sounds. Krank the amp up and back off on the ax
>volume, and she's a monster, or a sweet woman. or about
>anything in between. His was a Little Lucille.
>
>There is 50 reviews on harmony central and there is an
>unusual number of negitive posts. Any time I see that I tend
>to think the 16 year old Jackson fans have shared their well
>informed opinions. :D
>
>S.S.

Yup, that's a great point. Unless there are hundreds of reviews, I ussually try and actually read through the bad ones. Sometimes people just get a lemon like Grady did, or sometimes they just bought the wrong guitar for thier purposes, or then again sometimes they are just immature teenagers with too many hormones flowing! LOL

Sometimes, there are enough negative ones to indicate a quality or other issue though. Helps to read 'em and compare to similar guitars for sure. Oh, and although I am a pretty new player I have learned lesson #1 ... It's really important with guitars and amps, to play the individual that you buy if at all possible.
Chris
cllvt
Regular

Postby trguitar » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:35 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-05 AT 10:37 AM (EST)]Yep, I'm always skeptical of those reviews that say "This guitar sucks man! I've never played one but when I get the money I'm gonna get a (insert your favorite $2000 guitar here) cause they RAWK!!! I've been playing for 3 months and I rawk dude!!" I weed out the thin reviews and look for experienced players with objective views. With my 28 years of playing and a guitar stable of 15 (many more have come and gone over the years) I would be just the guy to critique this instrument. Unfortunetly I have never even seen one up close much less played it. I would like to though, they look like a cool little axe. Now Grady would be the voice of experience, hope he just got a bad one. :(
trguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:53 pm

Yeah, Grady rawks!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bloozegit » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:15 am

http://www.blueshawk.info/intro.htm

Here's a website with more info. Not exactly the most neutral but at least you can get an idea of what it is.
bloozegit
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:57 am

>Yeah, Grady rawks!
>
>

ROTFLMAO !!!!

Oh Gawd,,,,,that made my day.
grady
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:42 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-06 AT 08:44 AM (EST)][img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/601blues/xmas05018.jpg My Blues Hawk,with coil tap pull out
601blues
Regular

Postby blues power » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:02 pm

i plyaed a few inthe store and the tone is out of this world. but i hated the neck. it was as fat as an oak tree from the 1800's.

if they ever came out with one with a 60's style neck id buy it instantly.

dont rely too much on harmony central. you never know who wrote thos comments. it could have been some kid playing for 2 weeks and thinks its great or a veteran whos been playing 50 years and who never left his basement or been in a band who says it suc*s
blues power
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:33 pm

I have to admit its not a fav,guitar of mine for me it is very limited, I had a hard time with the 6 way never could get the same sound twice, for harder blues rock its fine but I very seldom play it anymore, Iam a large guy can plam a basket ball so I prefer the larger necks
601blues
Regular

Postby tot_ou_tard » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:05 pm

*Well, I've been playing for two months and I RAWK and sometimes I get all weird and blues-y, dude.*

I have actually only been playing for two months and I am trying to learn all that I can. My question is how are P90's for blues in general? How about single coil vs humbuckers? Solid body vs semi-hollow vs archtops?

I know that opens up a lot of territory, but I'll listen if anybody wants to chew my ear off.

Thanks,

Allan
tot_ou_tard
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar