my new studio pics- how about yours?

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

my new studio pics- how about yours?

Postby watertore » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:15 pm

Last edited by watertore on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: my new studio is up and running

Postby watertore » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:47 am

Hi All: Anbody else have pictures to share of their recording space? We moved in a new to us house (110 years old) in Nov. I interviewed a bunch of contractors about building a studio in the attic, basement, and in a bunker under the yet to be constructed garage. We found a great guy out of Columbus. He is a musician and general contractor, and has built numerous studios from 0 budget to mega budget. I dream of having a studio in a hundred year old+ building with red brick walls, wood floors, 20' ceilings, and lots of sq footage, but to get that we would have to find a dedicated building (got no $ for that :lol: ). Plus I would not like commuting to my recording space. So we decided for the bang for the buck on the basement. It is a 12' x12' room within the basement, with central air/heat, recessed lighting, 18 plugs, acoustic ceiling, concrete floor, cinderblock on 2 walls and drywall on the other 2. It has a tad of natural reverb, which is what I wanted. It was going to be 12' x30', but I realized I didn't need so much room. Anyway, it is all done and I am starting to put some pictures up, and have been recording in it for about a month or so. All in all we are very happy with it. I hear nothing coming in from the washer/dryer/furnace/hot water heater/dogs on the wood floors above, and Judy hears almost nothing when upstairs in the kitchen. Here are some photos. Walter

A bit off the beaten path gear. I have 5 electroharmonix 12AY7 mic preamps. They are true tube driven and under $200 new! the green box is an old altec lansing 1592A mixer that has a ton of gain to power my beyerdynamic ribbon mic (vocals/harp). My friend who is a established recording engineer in NYC turned me on to all this. It all cost just ove 1k. The altec cost me only $75.

here is Gwen Davis- one of my special education students. She was here yesterday and recorded a cd. She is a true savant- rain man type. I am going to sell her cds to cover her habit-buying used cds, dvds, vhs tapes on the net, burning cds and the covers cases for them. Her mother can't afford it and our wallet is getting a bit thin keeping her in stuff ;gu;

Gwens session -a couple of songs from yesterdays session with me backing her on the 1 man band
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=806114
Last edited by watertore on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: my new studio pics- how about yours?

Postby kid muddy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:54 am

Looks pretty good, Walter.

I tried to check out the songs of Gwen's but Soundclick said they weren't cleared yet. I'll try again tomorrow.

As far as my studio setup, it's just my Strat into my Powerbook and Garageband. Not much to see.

Dean
kid muddy
Regular

Postby kid muddy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:19 pm

Listened to both songs today, Walter. I liked 'em both, I can't seem to get them out of my head. Been singing them ever since. Tell her "great job" for me. And +2 for mentioning tractors in both songs. :D

Oh, and great job on the accompaniment too.

Dean
kid muddy
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:48 am

Just starting to get "the Cube" set up for recording - that's a Samson c01u, a USB mic I'm running straight into Audacity. Easy. You can see my computer screen right outside the window.

Still wrestling with the BIG voice in the LITTLE room, but I'm surprised at how good this setup sounds overall. Thinking about a second USB mic for Stereo.

allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:23 pm

Eskrima batons for self defense Dan?
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Flutes - but the clear one was made by an escrima teacher.

Good eye.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Recording