Hollowbodies

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Hollowbodies

Postby sliderman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:31 am

Is there a best kind of electric to use for slide guitar? Does anyone use a hollowbody? I was interested in the Ibanez Artcore guitars. They seem pretty good and are fairly inexpensive also. Any advantages or disadvantages to using a hollowbody over a solidbody for slide?

And as far as electric slide goes does the quality of the guitar really make all that much difference?
sliderman
Regular

Re: Hollowbodies

Postby jaybee » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:43 am

Dave Hole doesn't seem to have a problem :wink:

jaybee
Regular

Postby houndog » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:10 am

Hello,
not really that I can think of. I wouldn't ( but have) used a Tele because of the toppy treble.

I would suggest that what you may need think about is a easily adjustable bridge the weight of strings you are using and the resulting action and your approach to right hand playing/picking/plectrum and what sound you are looking for.

trial and error really. :D

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby eldergreene » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:59 am

Tho I like hollowbodies, for slide I like a strat, both for neck access & tonal variety: I replace the bridge pickup with a fatter one (P90 in a humbucker shell, to retain some top-end) to beef up lead tones - my fave electric slider is/was Lowell George, who used something similar (tho somehow managed to do better with it than I can !)..
eldergreene
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:35 pm

I've never tried sliding on my son's Ibanez Artcore hollowbody. It's got a Bigsby, and I figure any sort of trem bridge would complicate changing tunings. (I haven't gotten the hang of that standard tuning slide.) it sure sounds great when he plays rock on it!

I love my semihollow Agile for slide. A semihollow's not much different from a solid body.
ricochet
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:49 pm

ricochet wrote:I've never tried sliding on my son's Ibanez Artcore hollowbody. It's got a Bigsby, and I figure any sort of trem bridge would complicate changing tunings. (I haven't gotten the hang of that standard tuning slide.) it sure sounds great when he plays rock on it!

I love my semihollow Agile for slide. A semihollow's not much different from a solid body.

Think of "A" shaped chords Rico
tinsmith
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:00 pm

I reckon there is no best guitar for slide. Its more a matter of technique adapting to the guitar. Hell..I even played slide on a classical guitar. It was difficult and I had to mute strings like crazy but it was possible. One 'thang I don't grok to is why the need to raise the bridge? When I slide I am not fretting with it so....call me kooky. I play slide on all my guitars regardless of the tuning. That includes, a V, a LP w/P90's, Tele, Strat, Ovation acoustic, and reso.

Rico...I know what you mean about standard slide tuning. One day it clicked with me. I realized that when playing in open G, the bulk of slide playing was on the 4th D, 3rd G and 2nd B....which is the same as standard tuning. Changing keys in standard is a snap with a capo or just moving up or down on the neck accordingly.

Cheers ya'll, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby VcubedAtHome » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:31 am

I had an Artcore I tried for slide. Put some 13's on it and it did okay, but the neck on that thing is real thin and I always wondered if I was messing it up with heavy strings and tight tunings. I never liked the guitar much anyhow, and that's why I turned it into my slide guitar, but my son took it over and now I have a Gold Tone resonator I like mucho.
VcubedAtHome
Regular

Postby sliderman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:11 am

I looked around some and decided to give this a try. http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000silverburstp90.html

Never tried an Agile but I've always read about them being good guitars for the money. Should work fine for a slider and looks good too.....
sliderman
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:53 am

I have an Agile (http://www.rondomusic.com/ad2300jr.html) and it sounds awesome with a slide. I think you chose a good one there (the P90s are great). Congrats, and have fun playing it! When I got my Agile, the fretboard was really dry, but olive oil solved that real quick, and made it a lot nicer to play. So if you get a dry fretboard, oil it up. It makes a huge difference.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:52 pm

Yeah, you'll like that Agile LP clone with P-90s.
ricochet
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:11 pm

I played electric slide for years on a '63 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gent. I replaced that in '97 with my current main (and only, come to think of it: I sold the Gretsch last year) electric, a Les Paul Deluxe. The Country Gent had pretty substantial bracing, since Chet wanted a traditional looking arch top that wouldn't feed back, and that probably helped. I'd recommend a semi-hollow body since it gives more sustain with a slide than a "real" hollow body.

The LP has much better upper fret access, and I find myself playing licks on it I never attempted with the Gretsch, and it has much more even tone and sustain up the neck compared to the old hoss.

Another aspect is that I find hollow bodies much more comfortable to play (and not just because they're not as heavy as Lester). I'm waiting right now to trade a Music Man stack for an Epiphone Sheraton II, for that reason. I also prefer the Gibson style controls over the peculiar Gretsch layout, and I figure the Epi will give me these features as well as the facility of changing out pickups if I want to -- something not possible with the Gretsch, taking into account its "vintage" value and oddball pickup mounts.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Return to Guitar