New ,player/ blues lover, going electric

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

New ,player/ blues lover, going electric

Postby thebilly » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:09 am

Whats happening, I'm new to the forum, but I read through a lot of the postings from recently and, man, what an awesome resource this is. A little about me. I've been playing guitar for the last couple of years, on a cheap yamaha acoustic, and lately I've really started digging the blues. I want to get an electric and have started looking around trying to read reviews, checking out local music shops. Anybody got any suggestions for me. I'm a young guy in school and cant afford to spend more than about six to seven hundred on a guitar and amp. any thoughts? new or used? What do you think of an ibanez semi hollow artcore? I played around on one at the guitar shop that felt pretty good. I have very little knowlede about the electronics and what I should be looking for. Any help would be great, thanks a lot

Billy
thebilly
Regular

RE: New ,player/ blues lover, going electric

Postby cllvt » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:40 am

>Whats happening, I'm new to the forum, but I read through a
>lot of the postings from recently and, man, what an awesome
>resource this is. A little about me. I've been playing
>guitar for the last couple of years, on a cheap yamaha
>acoustic, and lately I've really started digging the blues.
>I want to get an electric and have started looking around
>trying to read reviews, checking out local music shops.
>Anybody got any suggestions for me. I'm a young guy in
>school and cant afford to spend more than about six to
>seven hundred on a guitar and amp. any thoughts? new or
>used? What do you think of an ibanez semi hollow artcore? I
>played around on one at the guitar shop that felt pretty
>good. I have very little knowlede about the electronics and
>what I should be looking for. Any help would be great,
>thanks a lot
>
>Billy
Hey Billy,

Welcome to the forum. I think that's a fair amount of money and you should be able to get a nice set-up. I personally have never played the Artcore, but have heard good things about it. I have a Oscar Schmidt OE30 semi-hollow body and love it - they are a real buy, an unbelievable guitar for about $150 now. There are a lot of good guitars out there - any special artist whose sound you really like?

Amps ... if I were buying one now, I would go for the Fender Blues Junior. I played on one a while back, and was very impressed (about $400). Another popular amp here is the Epiphone valve standard, which is now down to about $300 street price. Those are both tube amps, which most prefer for Blues, but if you wanted to go solid state thare are some decent ones around.

I think playing around with different set-ups (as you have been doing) is real important. If at all possible, play the specific guitar and amp combos you think you are interested in. If possible, play the specific ones that you would buy. Each guitar and amp is a bit different.

Well, that's a start - I am sure you will get a lot of infor from others as well. Best of luck, and enjoy the process - most of us don't get to buy a new rig frequently!!
cllvt
Regular

Postby guitarsmurf » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:53 am

Welcome to the world of electric blues guitar, man.

Haven't played those new Artcore series, but I used to own a similar Ibanez hollow-body and they're pretty decent guitars.

Guitarwise, you have to decide whether you want more of a Fender Strat sound or more of a Les Paul (humbucker) sound. For a Fender Strat on the cheap I suggest looking at Yamaha Pacificas. They're very decent. Good build quality and easy to upgrade. If it has to be REALLY cheap, check out a Johnson Telecaster copy. They're pretty fun to play and you can pick one up for around 90$.

For more of a Gibson sound, those new Epiphones are actually quite good. Ibanez makes some good stuff too.

If you want a tube amp... Here are some options for simple tube amps on a budget:

Fender Pro Junior or Blues Junior
Epiphone Valve Standard
Johnson Laredo TA25

If it doesn't necessarily have to be tube and you want some variety in an amp... Check out the Roland Cube 60. Sounds wicked. If you're gonna be playing mostly in your bedroom, you could even look at the Roland Micro Cube which is a small version of the 60. I think you can find those for as low as 99$.

So in short... If you're really on a shoestring budget:

Johnson Tele: 90$
Roland Micro Cube: 99$
Total: 189$ for what is still a respectable package.

As always, read reviews on harmony central... But in the end it's only YOUR own opinion that matters so: Try before you buy.

Good luck gear hunting!
guitarsmurf
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:36 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-06 AT 07:43 AM (EST)]Hi Billy!
Man...you found the right place! I'm getting ready to go electric myself, just as soon as I get a pick-up installed in my reso...so I know your excitment! Do you have any experienced guitar playing friends that could help out...or perhaps a Guitar Center in your area you can go play stuff? One of our co-workers just went electric...man, he came from Guitar Center with a BC Rich Warlock guitar 12W amp combo that he paied $199 for. Now I wouldn't be caught dead with that shredder looking thing, and I'd never mail-order something like that thinking it would probably be cheap junk...but getting to play it and make that little cheapo amp screem was quite a shock at the playability and sound of that set-up. You should be able to get something that really kicks for what you have to spend. Our lead guitarist plays a Mexican made Telecaster that's awesome for the $350 they cost...he says it plays better than the American Strat he had 20 years ago. There's some awesome stuff out there now adays. Welcome to the road!
1four5
Regular

Postby blues power » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:12 pm

great blues tone more importantly comes from the amp and your pups
(and your trousers to quote EC)

for a $600-700 guitar you have a waide aray to choose from. anyhting from a new Blueshawk to a used MIA strat. Any of the Heritage guitars are great but even used they carry a tall price.
the ibanez artcort series is decent if you can live with the
"made in Korea" labal and a pup upgrade

I played a Epie 58 goldtop reissue with P-90's and it had great tone and playableity. i loved it but again "made in Korea"

like i said no matter what guitar you get the amp and pups will take preceidence in your tone. so a decent lil 25-40 watt tube amp should be in your thoughts also
blues power
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:13 pm

Welcome aboard :)

I'd just like to put my support behind the Epiphone Valve Jr. amp - it's an absolute steal.

As for a guitar, I think you need to play a bunch to find a neck you like, but I'd check out Epiphone, Ibanez and Yamaha. The PRS Soapbar SE and Squier 51 look neat to me too. I played a wonderful Jay Turser strat clone in a store before Christmas, and it was very inexpensive.

One thing to look for on guitars (cheap or otherwise) is that the frets don't stick out the edges of the fretboard, which will cut into your hand as you run it up the neck; if a sales guy goes to get you one in the box, make sure it's good.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:29 pm

Welcome to Big Road,Billy! I'm a harper,so I have no opinions worth as much as the those of the plank spankers here; however,the amount of money you are willing to spend assures that you can find a very playable combination that could serve you for a long time (until a case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome,a.k.a. GAS, attacks you) If you wanna play blues,I recommend a tube powered amp,but Roland Amps' COSM modelling technology is very good if you go to a digital amp. There is no need to spend more than $300 on even a new amp in order to get great sound. The little Fender tubes are great! You'll find that tube amps in the 10-15 watt category are more than loud enough for home and jammin',and work fine when "miked",if you ever have to play in front of people in a small setting. A 30-watt tube amp will blow the windows outa yer house,and you can even find those for $300,especially a little used. Play anything and everything while yer shopping,and if you have a good store with more than one option for you, try out amps immediately in succession (A/B comparisions) and you'll learn a little more about the characteristics of the amps through comparison. I even like to try something out,register my observations,and then come back a few days later,and try it again to see if my feelings have changed.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sweetness » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:57 pm

Welcome to the forum, Billy!

Kind of hard to give advice on picking a guitar, since it's such a personal thing. First thing, I guess, is to decide if you're a single coil or a humbucker guy. Whose sound do you dig? See what they play. Obviously on that budget you won't get what they've got, but you can start. I realized that almost all of my favourite guitar sounds were from strats, so I went in that direction. And you can get some great sounds from Squiers, which are made by Fender and would leave you more $$$ for the amp.

Good luck and let us know how it's going.

Sweetness
sweetness
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:38 pm

That Ibanez Artcore is a solid guitar. I debated on buying one before going with my Epiphone Dot Archtop. The Artcores are also platinum winners for Guitar World Review this year. They sound really good. I only went with the Epi because it was a lot more solid and had a sturdier neck. The Epiphone Dots are great guitars for the money. The pickups don't even sound bad. Washburn Idols are nice too. They have a coil tap in them. I just sold one but you can pick them up for $300. A Fender MIM Standard is always a winner too.

With $700 to kick around you could get some really decent used gear. That is the route I would go.

Amp-wise, the Epiphone Valve Standard is where it is at (so I hear). I love Fender tube amps personally. A Blues Jr. or Hot Rod Deluxe would make you happy. I have a Hot Rod 40w Deluxe and I love it. I only paid $375 used.

Peavey Classic 30s and Crate Vintage Clubs are great amps too. I HIGHLY reccomend the Crate Vintage Club 20 if you can find one. Usually about 150 for a killer tube combo.
bignick
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Welcome, Billy!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby savage » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:46 pm

welcome bud, these guys all got some great experience and input. All the suggestions you'll get on this forum are worth the time reading.... except for ricochet... he just likes talkin about his johnson, haha. (Just kidding ric!) He deffinately knows his stuff.

Regarding the ibanez artcore, I got one myself (the AS-73), and I have to say, you cant go wrong with it. It is a very versatile guitar. Sounds great clean, sounds great dirty. I always feel I must let people know that it handles distortion and effects quite well for a semi-hollowbody (if you're into that sort of thing). I've played a couple other models in the artcore series and was equally impressed with all of them.
savage
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:23 am

>I want to get an electric and have started looking around
>trying to read reviews, checking out local music shops.
>Anybody got any suggestions for me. I'm a young guy in
>school and cant afford to spend more than about six to
>seven hundred on a guitar and amp.

With your budget you could probably get a Harmony Stratotone or a Danelectro-made Silvertone ...and a Silvertone 1472 or 1482 amp. Any of the above would make a great combination for electric blues within the range of your budget.

http://www.hillmanweb.com/hstrats5.jpg http://retrofret.com/images/1900_guitar ... 1900_1.jpg http://retrofret.com/images/1910_guitar ... 1910_1.jpg

http://personalpages.tds.net/~jonarthr/ ... _small.jpg
bighollowtwang
Regular

pups? educate me man

Postby thebilly » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:48 pm

Not sure on the lingo here, oh and not to have you thinking that I'm more flush than I am, that six to seven hundo I mentioned, that's pretty much my budget for a set up for right now, amp and guitar. Thanks to all of you for the replies, giving me that warm fuzzy feeling. I definitely want to sit down with a fender blues junior, probably this weekend when I have a chance, as the guitar search continues. You'll be hearing more from me, and I'll keep checking in.

Playing from the trousers

Billy
thebilly
Regular

RE: pups? educate me man

Postby 601blues » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:40 am

Don't over look the Marshall MG30 229.00 at musicians friend I bought one for a travel amp and fell in love and have done some gigs wif it!!Awesome little amp! Headphones,CD input,various effects,footswitch,
601blues
Regular

RE: pups? educate me man

Postby blues power » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:53 pm

Pups= pick ups.

im not a big fan of the blues Jr for some reason. i guess of the price cus for another $100 you can get a HRD (hot rod Deluxe)
1x12 or pevey C-30 and have much more versitlity.

imo dont skimp on the amp. id rather buy a better quality amp and a cheaper guitar if it were me.
blues power
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar