BREAKIN' IN THE NEW BOARD

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

BREAKIN' IN THE NEW BOARD

Postby jeffl » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:16 pm

I've got an all-day jam/game feed at my weekly jam tomorrow, and I'm takin' my keyboard for the first time. We'll see how it goes. I'll play plenty of harp too.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: BREAKIN' IN THE NEW BOARD

Postby watertore » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:13 pm

jeffl wrote:I've got an all-day jam/game feed at my weekly jam tomorrow, and I'm takin' my keyboard for the first time. We'll see how it goes. I'll play plenty of harp too.

Hey Bubba: You have one of those electric pianos? I am buying one so I can add it to my 1 man band set up. With a real upright, yuo can't get the drums and high hat under it. With this electric one, which has weighted keys, I can pull it off with it on a stand-harp, piano, drums vocals. I am hoping to get it by the IBC. I figure that would be a good place to try it out-never done it before. Have fun! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:30 pm

You're a brave soul, Walter! I played mine on a few tunes yesterday; I liked it best on the organ tunes. We did a Spencer Davis Group tune and a Talking Heads tune. I took my buddy to the jam and he ended up playin' the board alot more than me, which is fine, 'cuz he's been playin' piano & organ for as long as I have (over 40 years).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:13 am

Hi bubba: You got me inspired. Today I decided to buy a new casio px 110 priva. I got it out of the box and hooked it up. Here is my first attempt at playing the 1 man band with the keys and also recording it. THis keyboard is nice. The keys are weighed and there are 2 real nice grand piano sounds, this organ one on the song, a couple electric pianos, acoustic bass, vibes and harpsichord. I am inspired! The stand fits perfect over my bass drum and I can easily get to my drum and cymbal pedals. I will be taking it to Mephis for sure. Walter
no more highway rollin
gimmie red wine
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:26 pm

I've discovered one thing I really like about my new little Yammy: when you use "dual voice" on it- for example piano as the main voice and drawbar organ as the secondary - you can leave it in dual voice mode and just switch the secondary with a tap of the secondary code. So, if you want a piano riff without the organ secondary, you can either tap the dual button off quickly and be left with just piano, or you can change the secondary from the organ to a second piano voice to add a different timbre. I've discovered that switchin' between the organ secondary and maybe honky-tonk or rhodes gives the piano riffs a little more attention. It's much more flexible than my last little portable. The only thing that's required in order to do it quickly is memorizing the codes of the commonly used samplings, which is relatively easy to do if you play with it enough. I'm fallin' in love with the "bright piano" voice (bright grand) and the rock,jazz, and drawbar organ voices. I've sentenced myself to some work though, 'cuz now I'm learnin' a ton of new tunes on the board and I'm not a great keyboarder (harp's my main instrument ) so it's not comin' easy.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:45 pm

I'm pathetic. After all that shoppin' for a board that sounded good and had some volume through its onboard speakers, I took it to our all day jam on New Year's and the volume didn't quite cut it on the piano voices. So, I took a little keyboard amp home from the store last nite to check it out for our "acoustic" jam. I already have a big 80 watt Crate with a 15" and a horn, but I started thinkin' about a small one to jus' use at our jam. I took the little thing back to the store this morning and took home a slightly more powerful one. There's never an end to the equipment jockeyin'. I'm tempted to dump the 80 watt amp and if I have to play at substantially higher volumes I'll just run the board into a DI and into the mains and use the smaller amp for a stage monitor.. I can't see much need for bigger amps anymore. Whadda ya think...?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:38 pm

jeffl wrote:I'm pathetic. After all that shoppin' for a board that sounded good and had some volume through its onboard speakers, I took it to our all day jam on New Year's and the volume didn't quite cut it on the piano voices. So, I took a little keyboard amp home from the store last nite to check it out for our "acoustic" jam. I already have a big 80 watt Crate with a 15" and a horn, but I started thinkin' about a small one to jus' use at our jam. I took the little thing back to the store this morning and took home a slightly more powerful one. There's never an end to the equipment jockeyin'. I'm tempted to dump the 80 watt amp and if I have to play at substantially higher volumes I'll just run the board into a DI and into the mains and use the smaller amp for a stage monitor.. I can't see much need for bigger amps anymore. Whadda ya think...?

When I bought this piano, I never thought of how I will gig with it :shock: All I looked for was keys that felt like a real piano, and sounds that sound like the keyed instrument they are suppose to emulate. Boy, you got me to thinking here. It has 2 little speakers that are good for at home, but no way in a club. I run an 1/8" jack out of one of the headphone jacks (there are 2) and then into my computer soundcard which has 8 inputs. I guess if it works for that, it should work through my PA. I am very illiterate on these things. Your set up with the stage monitor sounds good. I don't use monitors, but have played with plenty of keyboard guys that have had their electic keys plugged into amps.
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:08 pm

Walter, you may have to use a DI box between the board and the computer to level out the signal. If I play straight from the board to the mains I'm pretty sure I use the DI and then just have the amp as a freestanding monitor, outside of the monitor mix. There may be a "computer out" jack on the back of your keyboard if you take a look at it. Your owner's manual may give you some common ways of connecting it as well.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:31 pm

I'm gettin' off on havin' this new portable board! I've got it sittin' where my old one was, at right angle to my big Yammy in the living room, on top of my big keyboard amp (it's a better stand than my cheap scissors stand). I have hardly played the big piano since I got the portable. This morning I woke up at 5 AM and went out and threw on the headphones and worked through one of the new tunes we've been playin' at my weekly jam. I'm remembering why I probably gravitated to rock and blues boards initially when I was about 14 years old (over 40 yrs. ago)....ALOTTA THE TUNES ARE EASY FOR A SCHLOCK PLAYER LIKE ME,LOL! I've worked at my blues licks for the last dozen years or so, on boards, but I'd forgotten how easy alot of the rock keyboard parts are. I'm happy about that. I'm sure I'll take on tougher tunes as I get back in the saddle, and I think I'll be prob'ly throwin' on the harp rack again, now that I'm playin' more boards.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard