what guitar is this?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

what guitar is this?

Postby left eye jumps » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 pm

hey guys,

just wondering if any of you good identify this guitar..

http://www.morgenutgaven.com/innhold/ma ... ral_05.jpg

http://www.morgenutgaven.com/innhold/ma ... ral_10.jpg

the guy is Magnet.he's from Norway. plays awesome some cool music. saw him in atlanta in october. thanks if any one can figure it out.
left eye jumps
Regular

Re: what guitar is this?

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:08 pm

The guitar looks a lot like my Epi Blues Master, but I don't think the headstock says Epiphone.
ricochet
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:30 pm

The picture of the bluesmaster I've seen shows a different headstock and the end of the fingerboard is round where it meets the soundhole. Probably not it.

The bridge doesn't look very modern to me. I'd guess it's a pre-war guitar from one of many manufacturers. The fret dots suggest Oscar Schmidt to me. But who knows! :)
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby left eye jumps » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:41 pm

zhyla wrote:The bridge doesn't look very modern to me. I'd guess it's a pre-war guitar from one of many manufacturers. The fret dots suggest Oscar Schmidt to me. But who knows! :)

pretty much what i was figuring. the bridge does look older plus the fact that he's had to duct tape the cracking and lifting of the top. the insignia on the headstock just looks really short. Such as Kay, but it doesn't look like kay.
left eye jumps
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:48 pm

Is it a Stella....? I think Stella and Kay were the same thing, but I'm a harper, y'know.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zhyla » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am

jeffl wrote:Is it a Stella....? I think Stella and Kay were the same thing, but I'm a harper, y'know.

I *think* Stella was made by Oscar Schmidt up until like the 20's and then Harmony bought them. That's why you see older Stellas go for decent cash and slightly newer ones for $50.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby left eye jumps » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:52 pm

zhyla wrote:I *think* Stella was made by Oscar Schmidt up until like the 20's and then Harmony bought them. That's why you see older Stellas go for decent cash and slightly newer ones for $50.

yeah, that's the way i understood it.

i guess the guitar is prolly an early oscar stella... maybe. i dunno.
left eye jumps
Regular

Postby Pete Howlett » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:08 pm

Norway is the clue... its Levin, the must have guitar iof the 60's in Europe. Levin Goliath was the one to go for. Martin bought them out then ran down the business into oblivion!
Pete Howlett
Regular

Postby left eye jumps » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:10 pm

oh nice. i guess my American egocentrism was keeping me from thinking that guitars could be not-American. nice job.
left eye jumps
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:26 pm

WHAT?! That's un-American!
ricochet
Regular

Postby Pete Howlett » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:40 pm

Bit weird ain't it - a simple tune like Hey Hey by Big Bill. How many people play his version - the Amrican original and how many have adopted the Clapton/Fairweatherlow (yes, it's a duet... Clapton cannot play it on his own...) the British version. Now if you are gonna play Clapton's score then that is, I would say, actually un-American!

Myself I used to do the Broonzy trick maintaining that E7 b9th postion but now I prefer the sound of Clapton's A7... Just like I used to play with mediums but now use a guage down to 12 on the first.
Pete Howlett
Regular

Postby left eye jumps » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:41 am

wha? :wha:
left eye jumps
Regular

Return to Guitar