Scales

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Scales

Postby grumpygroo » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:15 pm

Learn your scales. I've been watching the Kelly Joe Phelps lap steel dvd lately. He goes on about scales, so I sat down and have been playing nothing but for the past week. Let it all rip and my how things have improved.

LEARN YOUR SCALES :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
grumpygroo
Regular

Re: Scales

Postby JakeyVimto » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:35 pm

I've been looking at the looknohands generator and other, especially with a view to nailing down some scales in open e and g. This is, I dont have a lot of experience of the best way of using the information to think up exercises and so on to get familiar with the scale itself.

I'm been thinking of getting a couple of lessons just to learn a method for learning scales. Is this something I should be able to figure out myself, or would I be just as well getting a couple of lessons?

Cheers,

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby badfinger » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:30 pm

For grade 8, guitar, a student would be expected to be able to play all major/minor scales, through three octaves, and all major/minor arpeggios.

The simple reason (apart from mere technical fluency) is that every phrase of every section of every piece of music is a scale, or part of a scale, or an arpeggio, or part of an arpeggio. Play all scales fluently, and thereby play any piece presented.

It's also the most relaxing thing in the world to just sit running up and down through the scales for half an hour or so; and then you suddenly realise that you've been doing it for an hour... Or more... It's like a mantra.
badfinger
Regular

Postby jaybee » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:12 pm

badfinger wrote: every section of every piece of music is a scale, or part of a scale

and if you ever wonder which scale the notes you're playing belong to, there's always ONE correct answer: the CHROMATIC scale 8)

badfinger wrote:It's also the most relaxing thing in the world to just sit running up and down through the scales for half an hour or so; and then you suddenly realise that you've been doing it for an hour... Or more... It's like a mantra.

been there, still doing that - actually it's the only way for me to make it to the end of the movie: guitar in lap, play finger excersises 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby Reverend Mojo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:01 pm

jaybee wrote:actually it's the only way for me to make it to the end of the movie: guitar in lap, play finger excersises 8)

Dear Jaybee,

On behalf of movie-goers everywhere, please stop bringing your guitar to the theatre. Your scales are nice, but it's disruptive to everyone else there to enjoy the film.

Thank you.
Reverend Mojo
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:41 pm

Reverend Mojo wrote:
jaybee wrote:actually it's the only way for me to make it to the end of the movie: guitar in lap, play finger excersises 8)

Dear Jaybee,

On behalf of movie-goers everywhere, please stop bringing your guitar to the theatre. Your scales are nice, but it's disruptive to everyone else there to enjoy the film.

Thank you.

:lol: you might think different if you heard me snore before...

actually I never go to the theater, I always wait till the movies on tv

theater = dark + warm + comfortable seat = SLEEP

TV is the same, but at least I don't have to pay to get in, and as I said, if I really want to make it to the end of the movie, I play some guitar while watching. Not only scales, if there's good music in the movie, I tend to jam along as well
jaybee
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:18 pm

Thousands of years ago during the age of the white buffalo, I was into playing scales and wanting to play fast. While they are great for gaining finger memory and shredding, I found myself just going through the motions. I don't think Muddy, BB or RJ were into scales. They were into songs and entertaining which is ultimately where I wanted to be. Muddy's slide playing on "19 Years Old" has all the emotion of an exorcism with nary a scale to be found. To be sure, I find scales useful albeit limiting. Did they help me learn how to play? I think so. Do I today? Nope..don't see the need. Rolling Stone mag once asked Keith Richards how much time he spent on practicing guitar. He responded....
"what for?....I'm already in the Rolling Stones.."
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:17 pm

texas blues wrote: Muddy's slide playing on "19 Years Old" has all the emotion of an exorcism with nary a scale to be found. Cheers, TB.

Tears yer skin off on the first twelve, on the second, he folds it up and hands it back to you. Frightening. :twisted:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!