Anyone play Mandolin?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Anyone play Mandolin?

Postby bignick » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:27 pm

I'm thinking of picking up a Rogue or Johnson Mandolin to fiddle around with. I really just want to learn it for rythm purposes and for something different. I love the way they sound.

I know Savage was going to pick one up at one point...anyone else in here play and could give me some pointers?

The Rogue Mandolins are only 49 shipped on MF...are they okay?

I really just want to learn some Steve Earle songs and some folk songs, not really too into getting into Bluegrass.
bignick
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:00 am

I've had a couple over the years, but I haven't played one in a while now.

Playing mandolin makes my hands look HUGE.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zhyla » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 am

Mandolin has been my 2nd instrument for about 5 years now. It's a total blast to play, harder to learn than guitar but lends itself to fast playing. It really got my strumming hand up to speed.

While I'm all for starting on dirty-cheap guitars, I'm wary of cheap mandolins. Setup is everything on a mando. You've already got twice as much tension, strings that are way too close together, and frets that you can barely squeeze your fingers onto. Throw in some bad action (especially a nut that's too high) and you're toast. So if you get a Rogue and find it hard to get into I wouldn't swear off mandolin, you just may need to get something decent.

I have a low end Kentucky A style. These are about the cheapest solid wood mandos you'll hear recommended, I think I paid $200 for mine used. There's also another brand someone on this board likes, I forget the name.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby stumblin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:01 am

I'm just in the process of having a mandolin made for me. A local luthier turns out some wonderful Army & Navy style mandolins. I saw some of his older models and looked at the new wood that he's got, put two & two together and thought about how it would sound in our regular pub session. Now all I have to do is figure out how to pay the man and also I have to learn to play it when it's built.
Any tips/tabs etc. for blues mandolin would be greatly appreciated.
stumblin
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:51 am

stumblin wrote:Any tips/

Double the size of the neck?

It's incomprehensible to me that anyone can play it other than tiny children.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby mnozzolio » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:15 pm

My wife wanted to learn to play mandolin, so I picked up a used Rogue. I think it sounds pretty good for what it is. It's not a Lloyd Loar, but it could hold its own in a jam, and would be good to learn on, especially for the price.
mnozzolio
Regular

Postby stumblin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:40 pm

rustyslide wrote:Double the size of the neck?

It's incomprehensible to me that anyone can play it other than tiny children.

Rusty my man, it's time for you to buy a cheap ukulele and experience the highs and lows of tiny fretboards!
stumblin
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:47 pm

Blues mandolin?

Yank Rachell.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Then there are bouzoukis...
ricochet
Regular

Postby Rythameen » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:20 pm

I picked up an Oscar Schmidt a couple of years ago, just because I heard a yank Rachell tune. I've been very happy with the mando, probably because I've never had the chance to play a more expensive one. On a side note, I had a heck of a time figuing out how to play blues on the thing, until I picked up the Steve James Blues Mandolin DVD. It really helped put everything into place.
Rythameen
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:35 pm

My first Mandolin was a Fender, a real cheapy. I bought it because the guitar I was hitch hiking with was stolen - I wanted something that would fit in my pack.

Late teens. I was on a kind of Kerouac - Woody Guthrie kick.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:39 pm

I think I'm going to order that Rogue while there is free shipping on it. My buddy has one and seems to like it.

I'm more interested in Johnny Young.
bignick
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:57 pm

ricochet wrote:Then there are bouzoukis...

Which are really fun! I love playing mine. It adds a neat touch to acoustic stuff.

Nick, those Rogues aren't all that great IMO. My buddy has one, and the action was ridiculously high, but of course I don't know a lot about mandos. But hey, for $50, it'll at least let you know whether or not you dig it, and it won't break the bank.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:15 pm

Yea! Johnny Young on the "Chicago - the Blues - Today" album.

And has anybody heard the slide mandolin on James Blood Ulmer's "Memphis Blood"? One sick version of "Death Letter".
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Well I ordered the black rogue with case today. $79, but if I don't like it I can always send it back.

Based on the reviews for this thing, it should be a good starter and a cool beat around instrument that I can take to work for lunch breaks. That is what I was shooting for. I'll probably have it set up and will replace the nut...(sounds like that is pretty necessary) but for below $100 I think that is a deal. 233 reviews couldn't be too far off and I'm really not expecting much but a solid beginner.

If I really like it, I'm going to get a Kentucky solid wood mando next.
bignick
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar